Why are JWs so against debate

by enigma1863 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

While debating for a better understanding is good intention, arguments aren’t. This is the policy you people consider debate. Not only is it in bad form but tactless to argue with a tree stump. What benefit would both debaters get out of a one sided argument.

Your interpretation of proverbs 27:17 Context: Do Not Boast about Tomorrow would be an unfitting example.

A more appropriate answer would be Proverbs 15:1 on why people should not hold to arguments. So the lack of decorum and self control of others is why JW’s don’t debate. Not only did Jesus make an inference of this that was carried by the Apostles, it is well documented in scripture.

Here are but a few examples out of your own Holy Bible to reference.

May I suggest making your argument to atheist or evolutionist that were once Jw’s

2 Timothy 2:23-24 ESV

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

2 Timothy 2:24 ESV

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

Proverbs 15:1 ESV

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Philippians 2:14 ESV

Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Romans 12:19 ESV

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Titus 3:1-2 ESV

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Romans 14:19 ESV /

So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual up building.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 ESV

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

Proverbs 3:30 ESV

Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm.

Galatians 5:22-23 ESV

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

James 3:17 ESV

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

1 Peter 2:21 ESV

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

SimonSays: was Adam the first man??? Let us begin from the first book of the Bible,

then maybe we can move on to the other 65 books.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The reason Jehovah`s Witnesses won`t even talk to ex J.W`s let alone debate with them is because their faith will be demolished in a very short time.

smiddy

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

They can only bear to hear that which confirms what they've already believe. Their beliefs are based on the one dimensional logic they have been taught.

We all remember how that was, don't we?

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Since your question is speculative. You need to shorten your agnostic theory.

I’ve dealt with many hardcore atheist about their Pre Adamic race conundrum based on La Peyrere misconception of biblical understanding of the 15-16 century. You can also find that argument with Roman Emperor Julian Apostate on 331-363 A.D. ironically the use of apostate came from him. Once again, look for your fellow people to make your argument. Just as there is none to someone that understands scripture.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Because they'd lose. Duh!

Let's review: It's a cult!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    SimonsSays: "Since your question is speculative". I rest my case, no debate here my friend.
  • azor
    azor

Simon says.

Sad, so sad. When will people like you and the rest of fairy tale believing mankind wake up from the non sense that is religion/any religion? Christian apologists just like JW apologists lose on all fronts. Your only hope is the god of the gaps theory and anyone can use that to state a belief in anything. Say Thor or Princess Diana.

Site fairy tale text all you want. It holds no authority other than vain allegiance to man made belief systems. Written as well stated by others, by iron age goat herders trying to make sense of their world. The GB follow the example of their principal text better than most other fundamentalist Christian denominations. By speaking out of both sides of their mouths. Letting their readers pick and choose what suits them best.

Your cognitive dissonance is palpable just like all believing JW's.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Your only hope is the god of the gaps theory and anyone can use that to state a belief in anything. Say Thor or Princess Diana. - azor

Eh? Princess Diana isn't a myth. Millions of people can attest to that. Whatever do you mean?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    azor: Amen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit