Chances of life Life on mars!!

by haujobbz 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

heathen:

Interesting stance you have their re: your implicit confusion between abiogenesis and evolutionary theory.

*awaiting the technical retort to a bruised ego*

Now, when men travel to mars and *IF* they find "moss" on the rocks, will you then be convinced, or yet another sad sot who cannot deal with reality?

I'm ready to be told that it is indeed a dry dead planet (highly unlikely with present Oddessey and previous missions). Are *you* ready to hear that all life as we know it did not just originate from Earth?

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

:: but it would indeed be wonderful if they even found water...

"Odyssey Finds Water Ice in Abundance Under Mars' Surface"
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2002/release_2002_121.html

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/mars/pia3800_caption.html

Heh... With all of this hydrogen, there's probably a great deal of water under the surface, even if most is frozen.

Edited by - ThatSucks on 9 August 2002 0:21:53

Edited by - ThatSucks on 9 August 2002 0:25:13

• heathen
    heathen

No bruised ego here . Even if you used the evolution theory which has never been proven fact, the conditions for spawning life would with out question have to be precise according to the evolution scientists like carl sagan that the chances of the ideal circumstances exsiting on mars just as on earth are so slim it is impossible to calculate.So I will remain a total skeptic on the issue.I don't mind discussing the topic though, but don't piss on my foot and tell me it's raining.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Im sure there are some bacteria 'bugs' on mars. You can find bacteria in the most inhospitable places on earth. Im sure they are hanging around some volcano eating the minerals. Same goes with one of Jupiters moon. Oh, I forget which one....not titan....europa??? Oh....darn.....

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

:: Even if you used the evolution theory which has never been proven fact, the conditions for spawning life would with out question have to be precise according to the evolution scientists like carl sagan that the chances of the ideal circumstances exsiting on mars just as on earth are so slim it is impossible to calculate.

FYI: I'm no harvard graduate, bust last time I looked, the observance of speciation in nature pretty much proved evolution as a fact. I personally observed that before anyone told me what evolution or speciation was. Now, before this discussion diminishes to the likeness of a Planet of The Apes fan flick, let me get to the point...

So, I take it you are *not* ready to hear that all life as we know it did not only originate from Earth. Hmm, I wonder what you would have said to the wright brothers in the early 1900s... Anyway, you don't HAVE to use the evolutionary theory to prove anything. All you have to do is look at the most hostile environments where life persists on this planet, and compare them to the tamer environments on Mars. See the overlap, and you might just find a niche. I understand your stance though. Nothing is wrong with a healty bit of skepticism.

:: So I will remain a total skeptic on the issue.I don't mind discussing the topic though, but don't piss on my foot and tell me it's raining.

I'm not pissing on your foot, you're just running from the martian water hose you silly person.

Crazy151drinker: I absolutely agree 100%. I also can't remember if it was Io or Europa myself.

• heathen
    heathen

Well I'm no rocket scientist either but as far as I understand it the evolution has never been proven fact .I have read some sound proof that DNA prevents organisms from mutating .Evolution IMO is merely a belief that was thought up by atheists but unsubstantiated in the fossil record or through any visual evidence. I am still feeling moisture running down my leg and it still doesn't seem to be raining .

• Xander
    Xander
    as far as I understand it the evolution has never been proven fact

Wrong - it has been proven fact.

Evolution = fact. It happens. We can SEE it happen.

Abiogenesis = verdict still out on this one

I have read some sound proof that DNA prevents organisms from mutating

I'd be REAL interested in your source for this. Let me save you some time - if you read this in an Awake!, don't bother posting it.

Evolution IMO is merely a belief that was thought up by atheists

Then you'd be wrong.

unsubstantiated in the fossil record or through any visual evidence

Wrong on both counts - the fossil record is very clear on its support of evolution - and, as I mentioned, we can observer evolution happening in small organisms ALL THE TIME. Insects, viruses, bacteria, etc. regularly evolve fast enough for us to observe it.

I am still feeling moisture running down my leg and it still doesn't seem to be raining .

(no proper emoticon for this one) - uhhh....try diapers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit