Chances of life Life on mars!!

by haujobbz 26 Replies latest jw friends

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

"Life on mars" mmm i wonder what jws would say on the matter,maybe adam and eve visited mars( just joking).Anyway what do you think, will they find life on mars.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Most likely JW's would think that the scientitsts that found life on mars were wrong.

• Ice Blue
    Ice Blue

That just reminded me........... Years ago there was a weekly programme going out in the UK called 'Life on Earth'. I found it fascinating, it was hosted by David Attenborough. Anyway, a couple of days after watching an episode about fossils, my door bell rang and ......... you guessed it, two JWs were standing there. Being interested in their view I said, 'So, tell me about the fossils, I just watched this programme ..etc etc' . To which the obvious newbie to the faith said: 'The Devil put them there'. The other JW looked at him with utter shock and horror, I just tumbled about laughing.

Goodness only knows why I didn't give up there and then - I'm sure it was a sign.

So if they do find life on Mars - will this brother be giving the same response??????????????????//

Edited by - Ice Blue on 4 August 2002 18:17:42

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

They have said that its not there. They had an article in the Afake talking about the Mars meteorite ALH84001 in which they poopoo'd the whole arguement for life on Mars because hey, if the signs for life in one rock are debatable then that means there isn't any life else where on the entire planet. They failed to mention the other Martian meteorites (Shergotty and Nakhla. Nakhla which has been preserved extremely well since it fell in the early 1900's in Egypt and has much more evidence than any other meteorite out there) where more likely signs of life have been found and didn't even attempt to tackle that issue. Go after the more visible target that has weaker evidence but ignore the less well known target that has more strength to it.

Idiots.

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

When I was a kid, I asked my mom about life on other planets, and she asked the elders. She got back to me w/ an Awake article about it, quoting the scripture that says something like "to Jehovah the heavens belong, but the earth he has given to the sons of men." They applied that to mean that we're it; there's no other life out there except spirit creatures. Also, I've heard them say that, since any life "out there" would have to have been created by Jehovah, and since it would have to be intelligent life (otherwise what would be the point, in their view), there must not be any. Because our species' "challenge" is still going on, and therefore any other intelligent life would have to have been created before us, and therefore our challenge would be unnecessary. (If that other species had failed their test, then Jehovah wouldn't have created us until the challenge was settled, in which case our challenge would be unnecessary; he could point to the end result of that other one and another millenia-long challenge would be pointless... Ditto if they'd passed their test in the first place)...

Getting away from the religious mumbo-jumbo, I was very interested in the discovery of apparently recent erosion marks on Mars, which geologists & others said had to have come from running water coming up from underneath the ground... Anyone heard anything on this lately?

Also, on the meteorite(s?), I thought it'd been shown that the "fossil" marks there could have easily been made by non-life chemical processes... I'd rather believe that they are actual fossil impressions, but the last I heard was that this is unlikely... Please tell me if I'm wrong, because I would love to know about it if there's still an ongoing debate.

And finally, the "faces"... sigh. If I remember right, those were also disproved last time an observer craft took pictures of those sites; with greater clarity in modern tech, it turned out that the faces were caused by shadows of geological features And I *so* wanted them to be the remnants of a great Martian civilization... A Martian Sphinx if you will

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I believe it's reasonable to conclude that some type of life "once existed" on Mars.

Perhaps it is the destiny of this earth to suffer a similar fate, as with other objects that fly around in space. We are really not so far from the sun, and we seem to be in the path of some very big asteroids. There is a pattern to everything...we just haven't been here long enough to see it.

Planets are born, and planets die. It is the universal law.

I just hope our creators come back for us in time...and we have enough sense to go with them when they arrive.

Sentinel

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

Re: I think you might be right about mars once being populated with intelligent life,and that the earth could become like mars in the future,if there was life on mars what the hell happened up there,it also reminds me of when jws said to me the earth could never become a desolate planet or be struck by a comet or meteor because jehovah would never let that happen,mmm wonder what happened to the dinosaurs then, just because in our lifetime or the last 5000yrs a comet etc hasnt struck the earth and harmed half the population doesnt prove jehovah protects the earth . "flawed reasoning as usual"

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

just because in our lifetime or the last 5000yrs a comet etc hasnt struck the earth and harmed half the population doesnt prove jehovah protects the earth .

That's only part true. Even though no people were killed an extremely large meteorite (some people will argue comet but due to dust from the impactor trapped in tree sap that idea has pretty much been thrown out the window) we have been hit within the past 100 years. In the early 1900's there was a hit in the Tunguska region of Russia that had it hit a populated region pretty much everyone there would have died instantly. There are even reports of people who were close to 100 miles away being knocked off their feet and unconscience from the shockwave from that blast.

As for the fossils in Martian meteorites, that debate is still alive and VERY active. While it is true that just about all the elements that researchers stated as proof of life can be formed by inorganic processes it seems to be a bit more than odd that all of these elements could be in one rock just by chance. Not only that but, even though I can't recall the particulars off the top of my head, more, BETTER, signs have since been found in better preserved meteorites (namely Nakhla) since the announcement concerning ALH84001.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i wonder what jws would say on the matter

personally, i don't care what they would say. jehovah's witnesses have done NOTHING to advance scientific progress in any way, shape, or form. they denounce the fields of science and medicine, yet are the first to take advantage of the advancements. anyway they would probably say it's just smoke and mirrors from the scientific community.

but it would indeed be wonderful if they even found water... and the tiniest microbe swimming in it would be terribly exciting!

• heathen
    heathen

no I don't think they will find life on mars ,the environment is too hostile with extreme cold and poisonous gasses I couldn't see a planet such as mars capable of supporting biological life as we know it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit