15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

by JanH 114 Replies latest jw friends

• Grunt
    Grunt

Well, I have to say I am proud of you g-man. You made an entire post without saying doo doo or any bad initials. You almost made it without a personal insult, but not quite. Still, it is progress and this proves you are trainable. We will keep working on it until one day you will be able to make posts that even a normal person (as opposed to an evolutionary fundie who resorts to personal insults at the first sign of disagreement with their FAITH DOCTRINES) could be proud of. The key is forming a little mantra for yourself, I would suggest something like : "Other people are entitled to different views, Other people are entitled to different views" splice in "I won't call people stupid who disagree, I won't call people stupid who disagree, I won't call people stupid who disagree" or even the occasional "I am OK. I am OK." if you start feeling shaky about saying others can disagree. Say those for ten or fifteen minutes, breathe deep and post. Baby steps, baby steps to normalcy.
    I liked the entire four corners area, loved Mesa Verde and the La Platas, really everything from Santa Fe north and over.

Grunt

Newway,
    Thanks for all the work. I read every word. I admire your efforts however nothing you can say will disuade them. This is a emotional issue to them and like any other group of fundies if you disagree they take it personal. If you ask them what it would take to convince them that evolution is in error, they couldn't honestly tell you as their views are so fixed they can consider no other. They look only for flaws in YOUR reasoning as they consider their own beyond reproach.

Once again, thanks for your time, effort and honesty.

Grunt

• NewWay
    NewWay

Grunt: Thanks for your encouraging words! I will be leaving this subject for others to discuss as I've already spent more time on it than I was bargaining for. Also, I've just received a book (on an entirely different subject) ordered several weeks ago which I had to import from the USA, so my head will be buried in that for the next couple of days.

Kind regards.

• NewWay
    NewWay

BTW, I've included an important update at the end of the original text, so anyone who has already read the article, please take time to read it. Thank you.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    My idea of 'species' is intrinsically based upon extremely distinct lifeforms, so a new 'species' to me would be the product of, say, a cat and a dog as they are significantly dissimilar. This means that convincing evidence of 'speciation', to me, would have to be on that level.

So you'd only accept hybridisation as proof of speciation, if two very different species were able to interbreed? But surely that would prove that they're not different species by your definition?

Grouping animals into different species, genera, families etc. has traditionally been done by reference to their physical form. It is only in recent years that DNA testing can be done to determine the degree of relatedness between different animals. The concept of a "species" is difficult to define exactly, because all species on Earth are related and the designations are necessarily arbitrary. Horses and donkeys, for example, can interbreed but almost always produce sterile offspring. The species barrier is not 100% solid but is "permeable" depending on the degree of separation between the species, proof, surely, of ongoing evolution.

• dubla
    dubla

six-

Gedanken, I think Grunt is running on common sense and anger. Neither of which are worth a good god damn in a scientific discussion.

i see your point, entirely.....and youre right. on the flip side though, insulting someone at every turn and speaking in a condescending manner the entire time isnt exactly constructive in a scientific discussion either. you can be the god of scientific knowledge and still come off like a complete ass in a discussion, which of course just closes the ears youre trying to speak into.

grunt-

You almost made it without a personal insult, but not quite. Still, it is progress and this proves you are trainable. We will keep working on it until one day you will be able to make posts that even a normal person (as opposed to an evolutionary fundie who resorts to personal insults at the first sign of disagreement....

i see youve caught on to his m.o. >>> http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34023&site=3&page=1

its too bad, because some of these posters have great info to bring to the table, they just dont know how.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit