Holier Than Thou

by refiners fire 14 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Were you a " holier than thou". ?

Cmon. fess up. Were you one of those people who victimized someone "spiritually weak" constantly quoting scripture at them about what they were reading, or the music they listened to, or that their clothing was becoming "inappropriate" or their hair too long? Did you do it in front of others to make yourself look righteous and holy in the eyes of others? Cmon, Ive done it myself and I bet a lot of you have to

Conversely.....

Maybe someone did it to you, and you were the victim of one of these awful "holier than thous" .I was. There was a young ministerial servant who constantly saw fit to "offer me counsel" when I was a teenager. He always did it in front of other people , where his righteousness could be witnessed by all and sundry , speaking with great gravity, pausing frequently for emphasis and staring at me intently from under his eye brows with his bible balanced, open , on one palm to Phillipians 4 verse 8.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I was always case #2, even as a regular pioneer. Usually the elders would talk some real spiritual sister who had nothing in common with me to offer me counsel, etc. It was so humiliating.

• minimus
    minimus

nope....i realized i'm not that good.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."Usually the elders would talk some real spiritual sister who had nothing in common with me into offering me counsel"....

Sort of like the cult practise of "partnering" they always slot people together who have nothing in common. It prevents personal bonds being formed. True.

• KKLUV155
    KKLUV155

Nope! I was a weak one. Always being told By an elders wife that I need improvement in all I did.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I keep hearing about this "elders wife" thing, its not something I ever experienced, but then , few women ever talked with me anyway. Cant say I ever got a lecture from an elders wife or any woman for that matter the whole time I was in there.

There was one holier than thou woman in the congo, an elders wife. Everyone hated her guts, she was sickeningly "righteous" and everyone could tell that she was so righteous in her own mind that she was filled with contempt and disapproval of everyone else. They had few personal friends. Ive written about this woman before, she was the one who used to be carried into meetings on a camper bed and they would set up shop for her down the back of the hall where her children would fan her when she was too hot and hold the Bible up for her to read because she was so "afflicted" that she couldnt hold her own Bible up. Poor dear. This is the same woman who, when my dear dad the ex elder was dying in hospital complained to the other witnesses hanging around there that her "spirituality" was being affected by MY presence there. Because I was Disfellowshipped.

Edited by - refiners fire on 3 August 2002 20:30:28

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i wasn't holier than thou. there was this one pioneer though who was, and she let you know in subtle little ways just how spirirtually inferior you were to her. (haha she has since become an apostate woo-hoo)

• Francois
    Francois

Anytime anyone decided to offer spiritual counsel to me, I offered 1Thess. 4:11 back to them. They pretty much left me alone after that.

-francois

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Frank. Too funny. I wish Id known that scripture back then.

1 Thessalonians 4 v 11:

..."and to make it your aim to live quietly, and to mind your own business"...

IP - I would NEVER accuse YOU of being "holier than thou"....no way. Sis, You were simply

HOLY

• ISP
    ISP

I was category 2!!

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit