NUBIE ON CITE

by dark clouds 15 Replies latest jw friends

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

want to start this out by saying thank you simon

its been a few weeks since i joined cyberspace, prior to navigating i had no idea their was a place for ex jw's to chat or meet. the concept is fabulous. riz thanks for pointing the way
    im 30 now and have been free from the grip of jehovah's reform program (as i so kindly have dubbed), for the last 8 years. had i had the courage, insight and cashflow, i would have stood my ground and walked out at a much younger age, but i learned to humble myself (thanks to the watchtower and various publications) and think my parents and elders were right and that it was youth's rebelious nature kicking in, so i kept myself "clean" by following the rules, as best as i could, while in my thoughts i wondered if my path was aligned with what i felt i needed and wanted to be doing, and if what i was learning was actually true.
    i began questioning at the age of 13 when i began to think for myself. i noticed that topics learned in school seemed to contradict things that i learned in the hall. naturally i began to pry at the "brother" that gave me studies, and would bombard him with all kinds of questions, sometimes we wouldnt even touch the publication cause we'd run into discussions that were led by my curiosity and probing, and these would eat up the time.
    i was babtized at 15 for i was raised in the "truth" and at this stage it seemed like a natural progression. though riddled with doubts i proceeded thinking they would pass. in time my questions grew deeper and my curiosity urged me to explore life. i craved experience and i craved knowledge so i began following my heart.
    an underlying issue throughout all this is the fact that i have been musically inclined since the age of 5. and thankfully my mother did not supress it for she is also drawn to the arts. with this in mind i set the stage for the under current.
    it was around this time that my parents decided to move cross country from jersey to florida, and with this uprooting my quest for freedom subconsciously began. i was no longer tied to my past, i was in a foreign state and every aspect of my life would have to resume anew.
    i was still congregating and began noticing issues which seemed to get brushed under due to preferences in hierarchy, issues i had never noticed before in the hall began catching my attention it was as though my perspective had shifted and i was no longer as gullible as i had been.
    weeks followed meetings and i began college, as soon as the elders got wind i was going to pursue music education, all chaos broke lose, mind you the idea of college alone is enough to stir them so throw music into that mix.
    meetings were followed by interogations, field service became golden opportunities to be counseled, seemed like everyone was more concerned with my actions than their field reports. i began growing resentful of the time i was wasting feeling and knowing that it would be more productive if i stayed home doing homework and rehearsing.
    at one point during a counsel session i turned to the elder i was with and asked him what the purpose was to have been given a gift if i was not allowed to express it at its fullest potential. his reply was as generic as the result of a weekend kingdom hall project.
    this was the defining moment where i decided to walk my own path and excercise my free will. not only had i heard one too many rehashed answers, i was done wasting my time. i was turning in my badge and gun.

• riz
    riz

dark clouds,

Let me be one of the first to welcome you. I am so fortunate to have come to know you and I am proud to call you my friend. You have helped me tremendously in the time that we have known each other. I am very pleased that you will be posting here with me.
    Your contributions will be very valuable, no question about that. So welcome, my friend.

love, riz

• ICHING
    ICHING

404 Error.

• LDH
    LDH

Welcome, Dark Clouds, Welcome...

I hope your dark clouds turn to silver linings soon!

What instrument do you play?
    Lisa

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

ok let me nip this in the bud before it gets out of control
    the reason for my screen name is because i like thunder lightning and rainclouds, nothing to do with my outlook,
    lisa i play flute bass and synth
    riz how would you describe our bond?=:O

• unanswered
    unanswered

welcome, dark clouds-you may or may not know that riz is friend of mine like no other. she showed me this site also. i can empathize with the feeling in your post-obviously you already know you didn't need that badge and gun anyway. looking forward to your future posts-cheers, nate

• somebody
    somebody

Welcome to the board, dark clouds. riz and unanswered, I don't remember welcoming you, so welcome to you both too.

:-)

peace,
    somebody

• riz
    riz

:riz how would you describe our bond?

two words. taurean telepathy.
    love ya. -riz

• Prisca
    Prisca

Welcome to our humble home

I am similar in age to you and I can identify with your phases growing up in the borg. I saw too much going on in too many congregations to know these problems weren't just "isolated events".

BTW, I love thunder clouds and lightning as well!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Dark clouds

Welcome, I love watching storms as well

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit