Response to JW article in TorontoStar published

by Pathofthorns 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

A positive article on JW's in Tuesday's edition of the Toronto Star that appeared to have obvious input and direction from the WT public affairs office left local JW's buzzing and glowing from some positive press for a change. In some halls reference to it was made from the platforms. If you haven't read the article you can read it here [url] http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1026143773683&call_page=TS_Life&call_pageid=991479973472&call_pagepath=Life/News&col=991929131147[/url]

In today's paper a subtle letter to the editor was published that appears to highlight that forgoing a university education to pioneer might not be the wisest decision. [url] http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1026143889751&call_page=TS_Letters&call_pageid=968332189003&call_pagepath=News/Letters&col=968350116895[/url]

Path

• writerpen
    writerpen

I've heard Randy's name before, but maybe it's just my mind playing games on me. So if he is still a Witness, will he be after this? God article he wrote.

• Scully
    Scully

Aug. 2, 01:00 EDT
    Education over religion
    Re Faith and the city, Life, July 30.

I found the above-referenced article very intriguing, as I am a Jehovah's Witness who was in the exact same position as the young women in your story only a few years ago.

Unfortunately, giving up on going to university is often a regrettable decision. Most Jehovah's Witnesses do not go to university because it is highly discouraged by the religion and, unfortunately, being a receptionist makes it difficult to pay the bills when you get married, have a home and a family.

One day, when these women realize that the end of the world hasn't arrived as soon as they had expected, and reality sets in, I hope they will not find that they have wasted their bright minds and regret the choices they made. While the church discourages a university education, it does not forbid it, and I hope more young Jehovah's Witnesses recognize the importance of seizing this opportunity when it is available to them.

With some of the problems plaguing this religion, I would not be surprised if it is greatly affected in the future. A balanced outlook and a good education will better ensure a young person can ride out any rough roads that lie ahead.

Randy Bigham

Toronto

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I'm glad someone replied to that original article. I fell into that trap too, convinced that the end will come while I was doing the most important work, Pioneering. Years later I realized I was uneducated and looking forward to a career of answering phones and cleaning office buildings. I'm glad I wised up.

• Dia
    Dia

Remember when our youth and innocence were used and distorted in this way? And we happily clambored together like robots, not quite believing everything we said and did but going along with it and even subtley pressuring each other, too. Getting SOMETHING out of all the attention and back-patting. Tho later we would feel SO ashamed of it all. We were really believing we were actually doing something awesomely good. I felt so sorry for these girls. But then I thought of how LUCKY they are to be living now - in the time of crisis the letter writer refered to. And in the time of the internet. Now we can know someone will actually be there when they fall.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

While you guys were responding I decided to go another route and actually contact Christina Simonetto, the author of the article at her home telephone number.

We are playing phone tag right now but we will have a little chit chat.

Hehehehehe.

hawk

• puppylove
    puppylove

Nice letter and to the point. My thought is, though, that if everyone didn't know Randy's position on the WTBTS, they do now.

:-)

• Kismet
    Kismet

A very excellent letter and response. Maybe some young JW's reading it may give it some thought. If anyone knows Randy they should give him the URL to this forum. If his letter is any indication I would think he would make a great contribution here.

I hope that the reprecussions from this letter are minimal for him personally from any JW family etc.

Kismet

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Seems to me.................

.............that when the Borgmeisters are calling the shots, they're in full control of things, but when they're "out in the open", like in this newspaper letter, then they go to water.

Out in the open, the rules and regulations appear as they truthfully are, the man-made rules of a sect.

Cheers, Ozzie

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Kismet,

Done a while back. Note my Email.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit