U.K. MP calls for inquiry

by Dogpatch 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

This might have been posted before, but here we go: Dear Randy, The following Press release will help you to see the reason why I asked for British citizens to write to their MPs and tell their MPs to contact Mrs Clark:

Helen Clark Member of Parliament for Peterborough

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

HOUSE OF COMMONS 15.07.02

London SW1A 0AA

Press Release

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS CHILD SEX ABUSE

MP CALLS FOR INQUIRY

Helen Clark MP has tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons calling for an immediate inquiry into the allegations of child sexual abuse amongst members of Jehovah's Witness congregations. This follows the BBC Panorama expose of past and present cases, which have never been adequately investigated due to the organisation's policy of requiring two witnesses to an alleged offence. Mrs Clarke has been pursuing the matter for nearly two years since being contacted by a constituent, himself a victim as a child, but three successive Ministers have refused to take any action.

"Panorama contacted me when they were preparing this programme and I was able to put them in touch with my constituent and the police who were also aware of the allegations" said Mrs Clarke "I am delighted that the matter is at last receiving the public scrutiny it deserves, having written on a number of occasions to the Home Office without success. In my opinion, Government Ministers have all been too anxious not to offend a religious minority group and therefore too ready to accept outward assurances that the proper procedures were in effect. The Children of members of Jehovah's Witnesses must be afforded the same protection against sexual abuse as any other children in our society. I hope that this EDM will receive sufficient support to put additional pressure on the Government to take action. I would be very surprised if I am the only Member of Parliament to have been approached on these issues.

ENDS

Text of EDM

EARLY DAY MOTION

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES AND CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE

That this House congratulates the BBC on its showing of the Panorama programme, which exposes the lack of an appropriate child protection policy amongst Jehovah's Witnesses, since it is the organisation's policy to consider congregation members accused of child sexual abuse innocent unless there are two witnesses, even in the case of listed paedophiles; notes that previous attempts on the part of victims of this abuse to obtain official recognition of the issues involved have been unsuccessful and calls upon the Government to institute an immediate enquiry into the circumstances of past and present cases of such abuse.

CONTACTS: Mrs Helen Clark MP 020 7219 6062

• ISP
    ISP

Its been posted before but its still cool!

I wrote to my MP. I haven't had a response yet! There again I haven't from the WTS either!

ISP

• Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks for the posting Randy. Slowly but surely, step by step, the wheels of justice are moving and the Watchtower Society is in its path.

• ISP
    ISP

Hi amazing,

I think there is more chance of trouble in the UK for the WTS than in the US. Dateline seems to have been and gone. I am not aware of any US political disapproval of the WTS policies. In the UK it is different and .....there is an outside shot of having the charitable status removed. I think there is little to no chance of that happening in the US. We could really do with things changing in the US.

Any thoughts?

ISP

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

I am still waiting for a response from my MP as well,also the Charities comission,maybe its time for another go.

• Francois
    Francois

The Tao grinds slow, but the Tao grinds fine.

I can't wait to see that bastard Jaracz in the dock.

Francois

• ISP
    ISP

Amen to that Fran!

ISP

• mustang
    mustang

Please remind the MP's that THESE PEOPLE DON'T VOTE!!!!

That makes them POLITICALLY hard to offend!!! They are not really your constituents.

Mustang

Edited by - mustang on 2 August 2002 2:54:54

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Either way, they WILL LOSE numbers, as they already have.

They don't but they could! 'New Light' flashed forth a year or so ago allowing voting where voting is compulsory.

Still the local branch in Australia won't apply it!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

um ... what does an early day motion mean - has it passed or yet to be heard - and what exactly do we need to do in terms of writing to our MP in order to get them to consider supporting it ? any clarification welcomed - also, suggested text for MPs letter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit