by aintenoughwiskey 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Doc

"It's who ya know and who ya blow."

We say this ALL THE TIME. So true!!!

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

Definitely special privileges if you're an elder, for you and your spawn. Was in a congregation where the most popular elder had 4 pretty daughters who were viewed as role models and were very popular themselves. Outwardly they were such good little witness girls. In reality they were witches who got up to stuff that non-elder's kids wouldn't get away with, and they knew it. And the rest of us knew it too. I was actually "friends" with the 2nd youngest one for a few years, and enjoyed "protection" because of it. We covered for each other. (I put friend in quotes because JW friends are conditional ones, not genuine at all.)

We fell out about a year before I left because the hypocrisy of her "friendship" and everything about that cult just got to me.

• eva luna
    eva luna

I've seen it go the way as described mostly.

But .. I new a family that had a young teen caught smoking along with many other kids. They came down harder on the one with the elder dad, because he should have been setting a 'fine example' to the other kids who did not have dads as elders.

Kids dad was removed. Their child got a public marking announcement . Nothing happened to the other ones.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

If it comes to light or an appointed brother confesses that he has committed a disfellowshipping offense years in the past:

The body of elders may determine he can continue to serve if the following is true: The immorality or other serious wrongdoing occurred more than a few years ago [subsequent BOE letter specifies minimum of 3 years], and he is genuinely repentant, recognizing that he should have come forward immediately when he sinned. (Perhaps he has even confessed to his sin, seeking help with his guilty conscience.) He has been serving faithfully for many years, has evidence of God’s blessing, and has the respect of the congregation.

has evidence of God’s blessing - Has said elder been putting out for the Borg?

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

The perpetual question: "He is genuinely repentant."

How (and who) determines repentance?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Privileges do offer an extra layer of protection - more often than not, anyway.

In my old congregation, a prominent elder carried out an extra-marital "affair" for well over two years before any action was taken against him. While the BOE knew about his goings-on for at least two of those years, they were slow to even remove him as an elder, let alone DF him, because "he was such a good teacher."

That contrasts with the case of one "ordinary"Joe Doe publisher (actually, she was a Jane Doe) who got up to mischief one Friday night, only to be disfellowshipped by the time her parents got back from their weekend away.

Bill.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

In an area I used to live in, a large group of underage, kids all went out to the lake! The one elders son, and ms, pride of the congregation! Was 21, he went and got serval cases of beer! Well they all got drunk, and most also did the dancing in the sheets! It seem like 12 guys and 7 girls, involved! They were from 3 different congragation.

It all happened on a Friday night. Well elder boy,went straight to the elders Sunday morning, naming names, and listing, who did what, how many times, and with who! About half were dfed, the other half, less 1, were reproved! Elder boy was treated like a hero! He got his a few years later, when the one baby that came along really started looking like him, DNA test said yes! The poor girl was passed out drung when he pumped her, she had no ideal, who the daddy was!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit