priveledges an extra layer of protection

by aintenoughwiskey 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    I have noticed when an elder or ms gets in serious trouble, many times it's simply a demotion. Local example. Well liked MS son of a prominent elder/pioneer gets caught doing the dance with no pants with his fiancee. Announcement, so and so is no longer a MS. His parents went to wedding all good. Another elder non-MS son same deal disfellowshipped. Elder dad goes to wedding is deleted as elder.
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Yup it happens.

We had a young MS who was daddy elders pride and joy caught going to a nightclub...daddy elder asks me if it is true of which I said yes as my flatemate, a study at the time, worked in the nightclub told me...nothing happened.

Another MS goes to the same nightclub but not daddy elders son, instant demotion as a MS with public reproof.

• done4good
    done4good

Yep. A little known loophole exists for elders/MS, (that only gets used if you are of the "in" crowd with the BoE), that essentially lets those with these privileges off the hook as long as they keep quiet about it.

I am sure someone here can find the publication where this is alluded to.

d4g

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

In my experience as an elder, it all boils down to popularity, who's family runs the congregation and nepotism.

It's a man's organisation and the BOE is just an old boys club.

• done4good
    done4good

^And what Punk said.

To clarify my statement, the loophole will be invoked, depending on what Punk mentions above.

d4g

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

thx d4g

I knew of an elder's son that got done for what is called in the US grand theft auto....what we Brits call 'nicking a motor.'

He was shielded by the elders....99% of which were his family.

He was back handling mics again next meeting.

Last I heard, he'd buggered off...not sure if he's an apostate(tm) now. Hope so.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    this is another fine example of our merciful god jehovah lovingly not sending down a bolt of lightning to fry that fornicatin b'stards fat ass.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Everything is for appearances. They can't disfellowship someone currently holding a position because it shocks everyone and embarrasses themselves. So if what they did is really bad, they are given two chances if they hold a title, before being kicked out. From what I have observed, they are always, always demoted first. And then usually nothing happens unless they do it again. Holding a position can definitely be called a cushion.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's who ya know and who ya blow.

Just like any other kind of politics.

Doc

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    I normally don't take pleasure in the misfortune of others, but the parents I found particularly smug. Inherited Independent wealth, full time pioneers. Perhaps it's just jealousy on my part? Somehow the picture of them walking in on him, nailing her on the dining room table, bare asses in the air gives me a chuckle. As for how they found out, I have no idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit