THE ATTITUDE OF A BETHELITE

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Imbue
    Imbue

What do I have to say about bethelites...Hahaha...

Call me crazy but, I can't think of one use for acquaintances with patronizing attitudes.

Edited by - Imbue on 1 August 2002 19:26:18

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

When I was at Bethel I worked on the seventh floor on a printing press in the corner. I used to yell out the window at people walking on the sidewalk below, "HELP ME, I'M BEING HELD AGAINST MY WILL!" I hated the place, the attitudes and the hypocrisy. I also looked at the old men who had been there forever with nowhere else to go and vowed that I would never end up like they did. I also vowed to get laid as soon as possible. I will admit that had I been more sinister and less righteous (self righteous) I would have used my status with JW girls to my advantage and gotten laid while there. We used to go to a lot of parties in Jersey when I was there and there were always a ton of hot young girls, lot's of drinkiing and doting mothers who wanted their daughters to latch on to a Bethelite. What a shitty thing to wish on ones daughter.

• JT
    JT

it is amazing that so many mothers wanted their daughters to marry a broke bethelite

someone posted that they would argue that bethel is a second rate college

well that poster missed the point, but what's new i guess- in the world of JW bethel is considered a much more finer education and why cause one is being educated by the bro of christ

while we all know it is a bogus to the typical jw world wide if a mother had to chose between a sonin law who went to harvard and was a lawyer and not DOING WELLL IN THE TRUTH AND A bethelite serving at THE HOUSE OF GOD wit no money- there would actually be jw mothers who would want thier daughter to marry a broke bethelite AND WHY CAUSE IN JW LAND

JAH WILL PROVIDE

this only highlights the total mind control when folks Value system has been so warped as found in the avg jw who feels and believes BETHEL IS THE HOUSE OF GOD HIMSELF

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

My first couple of years in, while I was still the enraptured, glistening-eyed newbie, I was encouraged to aspire to serve at the great city on the hill in Brooklyn.

I wish I had gone. I would have left the borg sooner.

A guy I was roommates with for a year or so went, not sure if he's still there or not, don't care really. He was just anxious for something to add to his theocratic resume. He was/is very ambitious, his sights on CO or DO. I really hated him, he contributed much to my disillusionment.

JT and others, I enjoy your x-jw from a black perspective posts. I was always kinda hooked on that "only JW's have racial unity thing" but that was probably my patronizing white attitude.

• JT
    JT

JT and others, I enjoy your x-jw from a black perspective posts. I was always kinda hooked on that "only JW's have racial unity thing" but that was probably my patronizing white attitude.

########

well we all were kinda bamboozled and hoodwinked on one issue or another

for some it was going to college, having kids, retirement funds, racial issues-- in fact that was one of the reasons my mom became a jw we saw blacks and whites going to the hall

little did we know wt was no more than a Corporation and like any corporation you got black and white folks going to work everyday

and that is what we all did WE WORKED FOR WT -- it had nothing to do with god, we just were told it was and believed it while all the while we were just book salesmen

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

I know quite a few Bethelite PARTY stories. Now I'm black, and the Bethelites I knew were just there to get status. They knew how to ACT real spiritual when required but were the same as the rest of us. I know two brothers that have been at Bethel for about ten years or so. I doubt if they'll ever leave. One of the brothers was one of my best friends. He used to shock me with stories of how women (black and white) used to throw themselves at him. These were mostly women from the surrounding congregations.

This friend of mine was pretty good at public speaking. Since he's been at Bethel, he's learned another language and given talks in Paris. He broke so many girls' hearts it's ridiculous. Outside of Bethel he would be a loser living in his father's house. Inside of Bethel he is prize husband material. My friend's brother is very handsome and buff, and he's got a lot of older women chasing him. One sister was a lawyer and she bought him a Movado watch and paid for his entire family to come to NY to see The Lion King on Broadway. What this obviously successful woman would see in a broke Bethelite living at Patterson is beyond me. He is a nice piece of eye candy, though.

The ultimate in marrying up for a Black girl is to get herself a Bethelite. I wouldn't say necessarily a white Bethelite, though. My mom begged me to pursue my Bethelite friend romantically. I just couldn't see myself living at Bethel (I wasn't trying to pioneer) and I couldn't see him coming home to a life of mediocrity which is all he was capable of.

You would think my family would be proud of my selection of husband. Any normal family would. When I met my husband he was a college graduate with a lucrative Accounting/Finance career. My husband and I have been together over five years and have three daughters, and my mom still talks about my ex-friend from Bethel, and how I should have married him. :P

• minimus
    minimus

I have some real big shot friends in Bethel, and they all looked down on these young , punk Bethel boys.After getting to know them a bit, every sister who was married to a Bethel heavy would speak so condescendingly of the "new breed" that it was painfully obvious that they thought the majority of them would never be good husbands or role models.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit