A Near Death Experience

by Double Edge 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Today I was on the internet trying to get information on converting 110v electricity to 220v when I came across a near death experience of someone who was electrically shocked. I thought it might be of interest to some on this board:

220 Volts to my Near Death Experience by Kenneth Odin Merager

It was the Summer of 1957 at Western Washington College. I was taking an Industrial Arts course called "Tool Maintenance." My partner's and my assignment was to rewire several metal lathes from 110 volts to 220 volts.

My partner and I had crossed the three wires in several patterns using an eighteen inch long screwdriver. This was a test to determine which of the wires was positive and which one was the ground wire. By the time we finished, the screwdriver was melted down to the handle. I then turned off the circuit-breakers and taped a sign over them that read "DO NOT USE!" After I returned to the lathe, we stripped about eight inches of insulation from each of the two positive wires, exposing the copper. We then cut the ground wire eighteen inches shorter and similarly exposed eight inches of copper. As we left we checked the breakers.

The next day we prepared the lathe, junction box, and switch, and worked with each wire individually. We found it necessary to remove about four feet of flexible armored covering that encased the wires. My partner left to go to the far end of the building to get the tool that we needed for this job.

Meanwhile, I completed my work and proceeded to cut the armored covering with a hacksaw at the four foot mark. I was ready to remove the covering. I picked up the two positive wires, held the copper ends in my left hand and raised them up above my head. I grabbed hold of the upper end of the armored covering with my right hand and began to slide the covering up the wires towards my left hand. As the eight inches of bare copper ground wire snapped inside the covering, it happened: all of my muscles tightened and I vibrated to the rhythm of the 220 volts of alternating current surging through my body. Flames flashed from my closed hands...I could not open them. I knew I was caught on the electricity.

I rose six to ten feet above and three to five feet in front of my standing body. I could see the whole area, including dust, scrap paper and wood scraps on top of the cabinets behind my body. Another student, his back to me, was ripping twelve-foot boards of oak on a table saw about fifteen feet in front of my body.

I was not afraid. I realized that my body was not a big hindrance. At the same time, I was still me. Flames continued to flash from my hands. I needed help.

Not wanting to put the student that was sawing in danger, I moved past him and through a multi-paned glass partition into the foundry area. I went up to several students eye-ball to eye-ball, trying to get their attention. They could not see or hear me.

Next, I moved through a concrete block wall with tool panels on the opposite side and into the wood-turning area. Again, I faced a number of students and tried to get their attention. I even waved my hands in front of their faces ... but I do not remember actually seeing my hands. There were about fifty-three people in the combined areas.

Suddenly, I began to move rapidly down a dark tunnel toward a very bright light. I did not touch the sides of the tunnel and was not able to determine how far away from the sides I was. I didn't feel speed--like wind or friction--I didn't feel rushed. There was a musical sound of varying rhythm--similar to portions of the melodies from "Star Wars." It was a mellow sound of contentment.

My life from birth, with all the feelings of each event, passed before me in technicolor. It was as though I was evaluating each experience, yet I did not sense "good" or "bad." I had the feeling of complete understanding of everything I needed to know. However, I was not allowed to bring this knowledge back with me.

I was concerned that if I did not return I would be unable to complete three tasks that day which involved helping other people. I was given the choice of staying or returning to my body. I moved back through the tunnel and away from the bright light to my original position above my standing body. Flames continued to flash from my hands.

Suddenly, I was back inside my body. The electricity stopped flowing. I slid the armored covering back down the wires. The ground wire was burnt off back to the insulation. There were burn holes in the armored covering where my hand had been. The positive wires were scorched where my left hand had been. I looked at my hands. A series of charcoal-filled holes measuring about one-eighth inch wide by one-fourth inch wide and an eighth-inch deep covered the palms of both hands. The burns didn't hurt. I was a little shaky and my back felt as if I had slightly twisted it, but I was all right!

I walked straight to the breaker box, opened the door, and found that the sign, breaker and tape had been pushed to the "ON" position. I was angry.

Before leaving the area I timed the work of the student sawing wood. It took him one-and-a-half minutes to three-and-a-half minutes to run one board through the table saw, which gave me an idea of how long I had been in the current. I also checked the top of the cabinets and confirmed the items I had seen when I was out of my body. "Wow," I thought.

I stopped by the infirmary and told the nurse on duty about the shock. She gave me some cream to rub on the burns and told me I couldn't have lived through such a shock. I felt that if I had not had the burns to show her as proof, she would not have believed my story.

For many years I did not tell anyone about my out-of-body experience. I spent many years searching for a group of people who had had similar experiences. In 1986 I found the Seattle chapter of Friends of IANDS.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Now I realize you did not post this DoubleEdge as your personal experience, but the outlandish comments found in this story humor me.

A few quotes found within: (I have bolded and underlined for emphasis on the stupidity)

I rose six to ten feet above and three to five feet in front of my standing body.

I moved past him and through a multi-paned glass partition

Next I moved through a concrete block wall

Suddenly, I began to move rapidly down a dark tunnel toward a very bright light.

There was a musical sound of varying rhythm--similar to portions of the melodies of "Star Wars"

My life from birth, with all the feelings of each event, passed before me in technicolor.

I was given the choice of staying or returning to my body.

My suggestion to this guy? = Lay off the drugs man.

Edited by - Reborn2002 on 29 July 2002 19:21:12

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The guy got shocked and it caused an unusual mental reaction. He was aware of the danger, and aware that this very well might be it for him. He saw "his life flash before his eyes" and did a bit of thinking as it happened. Amazing what can go thru your head at critical moments.

Hope he doesnt' think he actually went through glass. That would just be silly.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Your explanation sounds much more reasonable SixofNine.

It is much more practical and logical that when someone feels they are facing death, they may in fact recount quickly in their mind some of their most memorable moments, or what they had or had not done in life that they enjoyed or regretted.

But to actually convince himself that he ascended 30 feet in the air over his own physical being, and passed through concrete and glass walls is just lunacy.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I just thought it was an interesting story since I was ready to have some electrical work done. Personally, I believe in SOME, near death experiences, not most. I guess if you believe there is a possiblity, the stories don't seem that strange; however, if you're adament that there is no spirit, only a body, and when that kicks the bucket it's adios bye bye ..... then I guess these experiences would seem pretty odd. By the way, the one thing that I did laugh at was the melodies he heard that sounded like "Star Wars".... now what was that all about.....when we cross over we get our favorite music?

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I had a good friend that was an electrician. He got shocked constantly..he was a man of many personalities!

Really!

It was like shock treatments I guess..changed his personality!

And my one of two near death experiences consisted of a car wreck I was in.

It all started to go in slow motion! That was really spooky!

I watched the front of my car come up to me in slow motion! I just hoped it would stop before I would die! And I had no fear!

Strange exerience!

Golden Girl....

Edited by - Golden Girl on 30 July 2002 0:7:7

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Golden Girl:

Years ago, when I was 19, I had the same experience...head on car collision...everything just S L O W E D down...went thru the windshield, people thought I was dead (I wasn't)...did't see any 'light' or 'tunnel' though.

But the slow down experience was very real and very weird that even today it is very vivid to me.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Wow! I can't believe someone else had the same thing happen..I wonder why our brain does that?.I didn't have my life flash before me...no lights either

Did we get cheated..?

Golden Girl

• Dia
    Dia

Ye of little faith!

Try these books for fun and inspiration...."Closer to the LIght" by Melvin Morse. For brainy intellectual types like yourself (and me - and Dr. Morse!!).

"Rediscovering a Felt Presence of God" for anyone raised in the WTS who is just damned afraid of all things spiritual.

Truly, there's a big world out there that JWs are so afraid of. It's a wonderful place and God is always RIGHT THERE so don't be afraid to have a look.

Everything is NOT pagan and irrelevant, a sham and not to be trusted.

And everyone is not lying and seeking attention and being manipulated by Satan to harm you.

Edited by - Dia on 2 August 2002 0:8:50

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Dia...

I've read several books over the years....very interesting. Although I can't remember the title, the one that sticks out the most was written by an M.D. who worked with extremely ill children. His stories were facinating, and unlike adults, the children's stories had no life experience biases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit