Revealing ID safe here?

by happysunshine 26 Replies latest jw friends

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Is it safe to reveal your identity, location, personal details, etc. on this site? Or are there any sickos prowling around? Any opinions?

• Matty
    Matty

Well, I don't give my full details out as I am still an active witness. My email (a unique one to this site, I recommend this) is open however, and this has been essential in making contacts. Occasionally I get flame emails from apologists who are offended at me questioning the religion, but that's what the delete button is for isn't it?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day happysunshine and welcome aboard!

You'll find this a happy place (mostly!!) but we do have our moments!

Many here are currently Dubs "in good standing" and have family/ friends in the Borg. Consequently, they feel reticent to let their identities be known, and we respect that. As we do for those, like myself and Mrs Ozzie, who, although well-known and despised now by the ruling class of the WTS, feel that we may still be able to reach our families. As you know, there are pre-conceived notions about what apostates do and say, and I just feel at the mo that it's better to speak as ozzie. There again, most of our Aussie posters know who we are, as well as some overseas posters. And that's something you may find yourself. In time, you will make friends with other regular posters, and develop a trust with them.

Many others are fortunate enough to be unencumbered with the Borg and are able to speak of their own identities. And how nice that is!

And as for your other question: "Are there sickos prowling around?", well, let's hope not! But of course, anyone is free to visit the board (lurking), so you may wish to bear that in mind.

Having said all that, please make yourself at home and we'll be looking for your upcoming posts.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Prisca
    Prisca

Well....

This is a public board, and so any Tom, Dick or Harry can come along and read this site. So it depends on why you want to reveal info, and how much you're comfortable with.

Quite simply, if you don't want it to be made known, don't post it on this site. Even emails I would be wary of, you never know if the recipient is going to pass it on to other people.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Welcome happysunshine (what a wonderful vision).

I kept my e-mail addy and name secret for the first 3 weeks, until I got a feel for the weirdo's on this board! ((Love, love, love to all))

OTOH, since I am already df'd, what more can the borg do to me?

Ozzie: I VIGOROUSLY deny any rumors that I am a sicko!!!

• SYN
    SYN

Just don't hand out your phone number, or your next phone call might be from NYT!!!!!!!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

NOT a good idea!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

This site is publically accessible. You should take all the precautions that you would use on any internet site.

Giving your full name, address, or number is a BAD!!!! idea!

Just don't do it.

If you feel confident with individuals, whom you may meet here, then email them. That's generally the best way to meet up, but even there it would pay to meet at a neutral location.

Facial Hair Poll: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=33229&site=3&page=1

• Englishman
    Englishman

I think it's about 50-50 with regard to who doesn't care whether or not their identity is known.

I wouldn't put my adress or phone number up, though I guess it would be quite easy to find me, if say, you were a WTBTS hitman!

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

I think it depends entirely upon your personal circumstances ...

For us, we are out, our family (now) know we are out and I think it is important that people coming to the site can see 'who we are'.

If you are a current JW and don't want people to know (for family or friends reasons) or are just not ready then it's best not to reveal too much.

Many people though think that little things they post reveal who they are which isn't true unless it's very specific. If in doubt though, think twice and perhaps only share information with people you know and trust and have built up a good rapport with beyond just forum posted (ie. email, IM)

I can recommend the 'lack of worry' that the freedom to be yourself brings though!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit