Microphone "Handling"

by SYN 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Syn,

Your hilarious microphone rant made me remember my own, apparently regressed, microphone memories.

When I was at the tender age of about fourteen, I was approached by one of the Elders at the local hall and asked if I wanted to be included in the microphone duties. Now, I've always been a little bit on the nervous side and never had any desire to stand up in front of the entire hall, toting around a five and a half foot pole from person to person. Honestly, the possibility of embarrassment was huge. Suppose you hit someone in the head or tripped over that massive serpentine cord? My mother was having none of my declining this invitation, so I reluctantly began my tour of duty.

I did it a few times and was on pins and needles all the time. It just wasn't my cup of tea, so I began making sure that I never had my suit coat whenever we left for the hall. This worked for a few weeks and I dodged the bullet. Mom was no dummy and caught on soon enough; I'd leave the suit coat in the closet and walk out the door, only to see Mom approaching the car with said coat in hand. I had to come up with something more effective, so I managed to get 'sick' for a few weeks, further delaying the inevitable.

Several weeks later, while at the bookstudy, a couple of the Elders asked if they could speak with me. Any of you who have heard similar comments from the older men in the hall probably have some idea of how terrified I was at that moment. My terror turned to joy shortly as they informed me that new light had indicated that all young men who handled the microphones must be baptized. I tried to look sufficiently devestated, but was thrilled to the gills inside. Truly one of my happiest moments up to that point. LOL!

Brian

• Preston
    Preston

My Syn!!!

What a big microphone you have. Well....I'm just gonna raise my hand until you come over here! LOL

• DINKY
    DINKY

SYN,

A very well-written, enjoyable story. Keep writing!

Shaggy - you too!

Dinky

• MrMoe
    MrMoe
    God, they might bump into the women's breasts, and that would certainly be a tragedy. Wouldn't want to disturb the processes Jehovah has set into motion inside those breasts, now would we? And what if the poles got stuck on their bra straps or something?

LMFAO

Kisses,

Moe

• Xena
    Xena

ROFL SYN.....

embarrassing moments? besides just being generally embarrassed about being a JW to begin with??

When I was nursing my daughter I would sit in the aisle seat in case I needed to get up.....one time someone beside me raised their hand and the mic guy came running....as he was leaning over me to pass the mike....my daughter decided it was time for another meal and promptly reached her hand down my shirt and attempted to try to "self-serve"..ROFL I am not sure who got redder....me or the brother!!!!!

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

LOL!!! I love it! Thanks for the giggle this morning.

And blondie....ROFL! The whole lake of fire where the sister already was...fantastic! One time, an elder's wife had a problem with a skirt I was wearing, so she sent her elder husband over to tell me I shouldn't be wearing it. She/he said it was because the slit was too long. The skirt came down to the middle of my shins, and the slit only went up to the back of my knees. Even at my youngish age (I think around 14 or so), I had a big mouth. I said, "Would you like to try walking in a skirt this long if it didn't have a slit in it?" And very pointedly looked at her instead of him. Loads of people heard me, and he still tried to tell me it was "immodest." I stood my ground though, and he backed down. Wuss.

As for embarrassing moments...I was told my skirt fell down once when I was young, but I don't remember. So nothing too embarrassing.

• zev
    zev

ah yes the dreaded microphone "handlers" topic has indeed raised its ugly puss filled head to the surface of the internet ocean.

i have ALLOT to say about this one.

i had been "handling" mikes since a young age, even before it was required that you be dunked to do so.

i found that i was embarrassed often. being the young hormone filled adolesent i was, my eyes tended to wander, and so did my mind. my face lends itself to turning red even to the very word "sex" and you can actually watch the redness rise from my neck, to my face, like watching a thermometer rise in temperature.

that being said.....

imagine if you will a rather full figured woman.

imagine a hormone filled adolesent "handling" the mikes.

(btw i HATE the word handling, with a pashion)

imagine this clumsey dork "handling" the mikes, and accidently hitting this full figured woman right in the chest.

ULGH!

i wanted to die.

i know it had to hurt. it hurt me just seeing it happen. and embarrassed as hell i was!

talk about glow in the dark red

as a m.s. i ran the sound department for years.

i was SO glad when i stepped down and resigned my "priviledge" i lost that responsibiblity.

but that didn't stop them from trying to use me, without my consent.

i cannot tell you how many arguments i got into, because during the summer months, i refused to wear a jacket.

this caused allot of tension because in order to do the mikes i had to wear a jacket, and we got into many arguments about that.

finnally i said, look, i dont wear jackets in the summer, if you cant deal with it take me off the list (which i really wanted in the first place.).

but now, they kept me on, in spite of the fact that almost every new scheduale handed to me would be torn up in their face and handed back to them.

you would think they got the message.

maybe they did after my d.a. letter

water under the bridge now

• blondie
    blondie

Zev, the elders in your old congregation sound singularly dense. I have heard of BOEs putting brothers down for "privileges" without talking to them first about it. Pretty arrogant. The brothers I knew did just what you did, ignored it. How many times did you have to tear up the assignment sheet they gave you?

And all those eager sisters who would have loved have a special "privilege" like that.

How I have that word "privilege"!

• Farkel
    Farkel

SYN,

They didn't have mics in Halls when I was a dub. With only 80-100 people in the audience, they actually felt that people could speak loud enough for everyone to hear. They didn't have canned Watchtower music for those beautiful Kingdumb melodies, either. They had real pianos with real pianists back then. Generally (unless it was me) the pianists always sucked, too. But this was good: you had a sucky pianist playing sucky music and dubs with sucky voices singing along in the whole sucky scenario. So at least everything was in harmony. (NO pun intended!)

But there is one thing that hasn't changed since I was last a dub thirty years ago: dubs were still filled with unhealthy doses of hate. At least they've been consistent about that.

Farkel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

And who can forget the vacant looks of someone who has fallen asleep standing up, completely forgetting they are on mic duty?

Then the hurried rush to get the mic to the quickly reddening publisher.

Only to receive the answer...

"Jehovah!!!"

Panic over - nothing to see here - move along people!!!

Facial Hair Poll: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=33229&site=3&page=1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit