Microphone "Handling"

by SYN 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SYN
    SYN

What is all the fuss about?

When I was still Assimilated (i.e. still in the BORG, but wanting out every second of that time), there was so much emphasis put on microphone handling that it was almost unreal. It was almost as if the microphones on their long poles were some sort of spiritual conductor that could electrocute you with God's spirit and lead you to become a Ministerial Servant or an Elder. Hey, that sounds exactly like the process that you use to become Annointed! Whodathunkit?

AFAIK, all Ministerial servants ever seemed to do in my Congregation was carry around all the Field Service territory stuff. This carrying about of the Field Service Stuff was very, very crucial to them, and you did not dare rip them off about it by making passing references to the size of their manhood being inversely proportional to the number of not-at-homes, lest you be counselled for "berating an older man".

Truly, these occupations befit men (only men, no women allowed, seems women are not fit to carry around microphones, God has clearly decreed that the fairer sex is limited to things like popping out babies and being chained to stoves, even though stoves were not technically around in their present form when God supposedly made his decrees and the Prophets wrote them down) who are reaching out for higher status in the Congregation.

Why else would one want to carry around microphones? Nobody could just pitch in and help out - that would have been viewed as blasphemy. Why on Earth is so much importance attached to this supposed "privilige" (a Dub-specific word I find impossible to spell right, let alone comprehend the way they use it ) of carrying around rather ordinary looking poles in the Halls?

It's so important to Jehovah that these microphones are carried around only by baptized Brothers in good standing. They never asked ME to carry around microphones. Strangely enough, initially, after I got baptized, I thought that I would get to do it. The novelty of the idea soon wore off, but hey, it was better than sitting and staring blindly at the pages of my Watchtower magazine every Sunday, pretending to see lines of code on my computer instead of lines of gibberish written by some guy in Brooklyn with serious cognitive dissonance issues.

This is one little aspect of Dubland that most outsiders find extremely difficult to comprehend. When you describe these sort of goings-on to them, they make sure that the next time they see a Dub heading towards them with lethal doctrinal intent, that they step out of the way and lock their doors sharpish. I've probably succeeded in decruiting hundreds of people with pointed remarks aimed at the friendly neighbourhood Dubs.

Dubs are actually very rare creatures where I live right now, primarily due to the fact that I live in a house that has it's own 24/7 guards and a gate that they are hired exclusively to watch like hawks, South Africa being a dangerous place and the equipment stored here being extremely valuable. But this changes whenever I visit my mom, who lives in a more suburban area than I currently do. At the moment in South Africa, Dubs are finding it harder and harder to do their supposedly life-changing work. Jehovah is allowing Satan to make things pretty hard for them by making very large fractions of the population move into cluster home villages surrounded by 3 meter high concrete fences and guarded by what at first glance appear to be military detachments. I've actually seens Dubs attempting to Dubify and Assimilate some guards at these places, obviously trying to get into bed with them so that they will let the Dubs into the complexes, but the guards have explicit orders not to allow travelling salesmen into the premises, and especially not if they offer the hope of everlasting life to the guards

So anyway, back to the microphones thing. Another bizarre fact of the whole microphone-handler business is that even if you were to be a 13 year old boy, in a Congregation filled with exactly one Elder and 200 very mature Christian women pimped up and ready for their weekly dose of Tower, you would still be given the microphone carrying assignment. Yes, it seems that women are not good enough to carry around Jehovah's microphones. God, they might bump into the women's breasts, and that would certainly be a tragedy. Wouldn't want to disturb the processes Jehovah has set into motion inside those breasts, now would we? And what if the poles got stuck on their bra straps or something?

Such is the irony of Dub life. These rules are applied in a super-strict fashion, and are considered not as rules, but as LAWS by Dubs. Dubs will vaccilate and sneer and do all sorts of supposedly "worldly" things, but they are doing it in a Dub way, so that's perfectly OK. During the last few weeks of my "tenure" at the Hall, just before I reached my watershed moment when I thought "SCREW THIS, I WANNA LAY CHICKS WITHOUT FEAR OF RECRIMINATION, DAMNIT", people started giving me all sorts of interesting looks when I walked into the Hall. These looks varied between outright pity from some of the less snakelike Dubs who I actually liked, to looks that would have made a grown Water Buffalo change it's underwear several times in a row.

Also, just before I left, I was about to be promoted to the status of Microphone Handler Extraodinaire, but sadly, I was given a 5 minute "talk" for the Theocratic Ministry School (bit of a misnomer there, since you rarely get even 5 minutes with a "householder" in the Dub industry - 2 seconds and a hasty "NOT INTERESTED" is more common), and I slipped the tiny, unnoticeable slip into my thin, comfortable Field Service bag and completely forgot about it. One month later, this sort-of faithful Dub guy was sitting as near as possible to the backmost row, as per my instructions from the Elders in humility and so on, getting ready for the first song of the meeting by closing my eyes and imagining myself on a beach very, very far away from the dastardly sound of any Kingdom Melody, when an Elder came up to me and tried to confirm with me that I was ready to give my talk.

Needless to say, I shot up out of my chair in great alarm just as the first few bars of that dreaded melody "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" began to creak out of the abysmally low-quality speaker system of the Hall, and after some frenzied questioning, I ascertained that I was supposed to be giving a talk that night. Well, I have never felt worse in my life, apart from that time when I woke up naked and covered in dew one Sunday morning with a sore ass in the garden of a stranger who grew lots of cactuses and who I didn't recognise on sight. Have you ever seen a (semi) faithful Brother trying to compose his 5 minute talk in, uh, 5 minutes? That was fun! Great fun for the whole family, indeed! In fact, my Sister was enjoying the sight of me getting all sorts of glares from my Father that hinted at dark and malevolent actions involving curfews later on in the evening when we got home. In fact, if looks could've screwed, my Father would probably have impregnated me with triplets. I think my Mother actually hissed a couple of times, she was so mad. Luckily, no one noticed this, since Dubs tend to hiss a lot, and they are also fond of running about in your local neighbourhood mumbling things like "goatgoatgoatgoat", especially some of the more dedicated Special Pioneers.

So there I got up on the platform and gave my speech. And I got a G for it, too! The Elder was blissfully unaware that I had concocted the speech out of thin air and a borrowed pen (my Mother had banned me from taking pens to meetings after that time I gave Jehovah dreadlocks in the Revelation book).

Yep, Dub life was pretty painful. Anybody else care to share their embarrassing meeeting moments?

Regards,
    SYN

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Damn! That's a lot of ranting for something like a microphone! You must really be pissed about it!

• musky
    musky

SYN, I carried the microphone and operated the sound system for a while. I always thought I was helping out with the duties that go along with operating a kingdom hall. One time a friend of mine told me that I could not do the microphones that night because I wasn't dressed properly. I forgot. Was it no suit coat? Something petty like that. It was then I realized that I was not helping with the chores, But that it was a so called " privelage" . I could never figure that out. I felt bad after that. I never felt like carrying the miocrophones again. musky

• SYN
    SYN

Elsewhere: Yeah, I got a bit carried away

• ballistic
    ballistic

We used to have the rostrum guy who adjusted the speaker's mic. We had a rather dodgey grip on ours which used to allow the mic to start going down during the talks. Because it had a dogey thread on it, it would move down and round out towards the audience at the same time, sometimes in prayers.

• blondie
    blondie

What happens if there are no baptized brothers qualified other than the elders? Yesssssssssss, the elders have to do the microphones. See if the sisters handled the microphones, it would be as good as a public announcement to the congregation and the other BOEs in the circuit that the elders were incompetent and unable to "groom" any baptized brothers to qualify for the "privilege."

If some of you didn't have a suitcoat, why didn't a brother who didn't need his at the moment lend you one? I have heard of poor congregations in other countries who do that very thing, share a suitcoat.

Ah, the love overwhelms me!

• cellomould
    cellomould

I used to have 'privileges' galore...sometimes in one evening I would be the magazine attendant and the sound attendant (which often meant doing the roving mics as well as adjusting the sound and remembering to play the right songs), and give an impromptu talk on top of that.

When I first came to that hall, by the way, there were only 2 ministerial serpents. One was in his forties, the other in his 70's. But by the time I became an MS, we had quite a few more. Still, the 'privilieges' were often split between two or three of us.

Don't think for a second that I ever forgot my suit coat. How else would the elders know I was 'spiritual'? (not like they can 'read hearts' or make any kind of character judgements).

cellmould

• blondie
    blondie

I know that scripture, cellomould, 3 Peter 5:2, "Ministerial servants will have a suitcoat on at all times, at all events where Jehovah's people might gather. Those without suitcoats will be cast into the lake of fire where the sister with the slit in her dress already is."

• musky
    musky

blondie, To further provide scriptural documentation. Revelation 22:34 Whereas in the last days, many will be without suitcoat, boisterous, puffed up with pride. And there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth for those who had not heard or understood the commands of our Lord Jesus to keep oneself in a suitcoat at the appointed times. Ye tho , for the bretheren with no tie . It would have been better if he had not been born.

• blondie
    blondie

I'll have to mark that one down, musky. I forgot about the blessed tie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit