Unconvincing Evidence in September Watchtower

by bemused 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bemused
    bemused

I was looking at the September 2015 issue of the Watchtower, which, unlike the simplified and study editions, appears to be aimed at non-JWs. A couple of articles caught my eye that quote biblical sources which are somewhat less than convincing to a non-believer.

Firstly 'What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?' says that the core belief is that 'all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial'. Leaving aside questions such as just how beneficial the advice on the appropriate severity with which to beat your slaves is, I noticed that they make it clear that this is a direct quote from the bible (Timothy). So, hang on, - JW's believe the bible is divinely inspired because the bible says it is divinely inspired? I think their obsession with biblical quotes has caught out the WT here.

The second article is entitled 'Bible Questions Answered' and deals with biblical prophecies. Essentially it is saying that because some biblical prophecies have been fulfilled then we can be confident that the remaining prophecies (Armageddon etc) will also come about. OK - so what evidence do they put forward to support their claim that prophecies have been fulfilled? Well, they use Luke where it says:

"However, when you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near. 21 Then let those in Ju·de′a begin fleeing to the mountains, let those in the midst of her leave, and let those in the countryside not enter into her, 22 because these are days for meting out justice in order that all the things written may be fulfilled."

In other words, if you see a city besieged by bloodthirsty armies don't go there. And the WT goes on to argue that because those early Christians weren't daft enough to ignore this sound advice and so survived by heading for the hills we can therefore be sure that all prophecies in the bible will come true so get yourself down to a Kingdom Hall pronto.

If that's the best they can come up with it's no surprise that there is little growth in developed countries outside of births. I just wonder if the people writing this stuff ever have moments of doubt when trying to put an argument together.

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

I honestly don't know how things like that persuades anyone at all.

It brought to mind a 2008 article on the flood:

"Was the Flood of Noah’s Day Really Global?

The Noachian Flood occurred more than 4,000 years ago. So there are no eyewitness survivors on earth to tell us about it. However, there is a written record of that catastrophe, which states that the floodwaters covered the tallest mountain of that time.

The historical document reads: “The deluge went on for forty days upon the earth . . . And the waters overwhelmed the earth so greatly that all the tall mountains that were under the whole heavens came to be covered. Up to fifteen cubits [about 22 feet [6.5 m]] the waters overwhelmed them and the mountains became covered.”—Genesis 7:17-20.

Some may wonder if the story of the whole earth being covered with water is a myth or at least an exaggeration. Not at all! Indeed, to some extent the earth is still flooded. Seawater covers about 71 percent of the earth’s surface. So in reality the floodwaters are still here. And if the glaciers and polar ice caps were to melt, the sea level would rise to cover cities like New York and Tokyo.

Geologists studying the landscape of the northwestern United States believe that as many as 100 ancient catastrophic floods once washed over the area. One such flood is said to have roared through the region with a wall of water 2,000 feet [600 m] high, traveling at 65 miles an hour [105 km/hr]—a flood of 500 cubic miles [2,000 cu km] of water, weighing more than two trillion tons. Similar findings have led other scientists to believe that a global flood is a distinct possibility.

For those who believe that the Bible is God’s Word, though, a global flood is more than a possibility. It is a fact. Jesus said to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) The apostle Paul wrote that God’s will is that “all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.” (1 Timothy 2:3, 4) How could Paul teach followers of Jesus the doctrinal truth if God’s Word contains myths?

Not only did Jesus believe that the Flood took place but he also believed that it was global. In his great prophecy about his presence and the end of this system of things, he likened those events to the time of Noah. (Matthew 24:37-39) The apostle Peter also wrote about the floodwaters in Noah’s day: “By those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water.”—2 Peter 3:6.

If Noah was a mythical figure and a global flood a fable, the warnings of Peter and Jesus for those living in the last days would be meaningless. Instead of serving as a warning, such ideas would befuddle a person’s spiritual senses and endanger his chances of surviving a tribulation greater than the Noachian Flood.—2 Peter 3:1-7.

In speaking about his abiding mercies for his people, God said: “Just as I have sworn that the waters of Noah shall no more pass over the earth, so I have sworn that I will not become indignant toward you nor rebuke you.” As surely as the Noachian Flood did overwhelm the earth, so God’s loving-kindness will be with those trusting in him.—Isaiah 54:9."

I remember discussing this with a MS Pioneer on field service, and both of us laughing at the way it basically argues that "the bible said it so it must be true"

Great arguments, I am sure that the writers cannot believe this even as they write it down.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Bemused, sadly its not just the wt that does it, most christians seem to reason the same way. For a humorous look at the sillyness of such reasoning i present to you the following video, garunteed to amuse :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    JW's believe the bible is divinely inspired because the bible says it is divinely inspired?

I beleive it's called Circular reasoning. They probably aren't the only ones that go along with this.

Not only did Jesus believe that the Flood took place but he also believed that it was global. In his great prophecy about his presence and the end of this system of things, he likened those events to the time of Noah.

Funnily enough, this fails for me because I don't believe in Jesus.

I am sure that the writers cannot believe this even as they write it down.

It's a job, it pays. WBT$ cares not about reality when money will come their way?

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

bemused- Firstly 'What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?' says that the core belief is that 'all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial'.

Great topic. You and others pointed out the problem with circular logic. But wait, hang on... There seems to be another problem which didn't dawn on me until years after I had left. The verse precedes the creation of the "Bible". So, which scriptures was it talking about? Isn't that a problem as well?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    The fact that their core belief is all scripture is inspired and beneficial should be the end of the question. OK and walk away. Because the bible is popycock
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    And really thats the first lie. They dont believe the bible is inspired, per say. They believe whatever the GB tells them is inspired.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Firstly 'What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?' says that the core belief is that 'all scripture is inspired of God

So why do they admit in another magazine the complete opposite??

*** w96 4/15 p. 19 Why True Worship Receives God’s Blessing ***

Bible translations themselves are not inspired by God. Translations, by their very nature, may reflect variations of the understanding of the original tongues in which the Bible was recorded.

Including the New World Translation!!!!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    John Aquila18 minutes agoFirstly 'What do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe?' says that the core belief is that 'all scripture is inspired of God
    So why do they admit in another magazine the complete opposite??
    *** w96 4/15 p. 19 Why True Worship Receives God’s Blessing ***
    Bible translations themselves are not inspired by God. Translations, by their very nature, may reflect variations of the understanding of the original tongues in which the Bible was recorded.

I remember reading that. I didn't understand it.

Now I do! They are causing cognitive dissonance!

But then the WBT$ enjoys abusing people.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    What JWs really believe (even if they're unaware of it) is that the GB must be obeyed without question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit