VIDEO - READ CAREFULLY

by Dia 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dia
    Dia

Here is a written 'view' of the video - If you listen carefully, you will hear all the holes in it.

FYI - Rodney Starks few comments are in CAPS. My comments are in [brackets]

(WTS) 'DFing is a procedure which is laid down in the Bible, whereby a person who sins very seriously against God and against the Congregation and who refuses to repent, refuses to change, abandon the wrong way is informed that they're no longer a part of the Christian Congregation'.

(STARK) "I DON'T KNOW THE LAST METHODIST WHO WAS DISFELLOWSHIPPED. I CERTAINLY HAVE MET DISFELLOWSHIPPED WITNESSES. AND DISFELLOWSHIPPED MORMONS AND.....AND......LOTS OF PEOPLE"

(WTS) 'DFing is a perocedure which benefits the congregation. It serves as a protection to the congregation....

'When Paul was dealing with the notorious case in Corinth, he said here [reading from his Bible], 'Do you not know that a little leven ferments the whole lump?' So, he said, 'Clear away the old leven'.

'So if wrong practices are allowed to remain in the congregation, that could affect the spirituality of the whole congregation.

[reading again] 'Remove the evil man from among yourselves'. That is DFing.'

(STARK) "PEOPLE WHO'VE GOT MORAL CODES THAT THEY ADHERE TO, CHECK PEOPLE OUT WHO DON'T! [he chuckles] IT'S REALLY PRETTY SIMPLE. I MEAN, YOU SAY, 'IT'S NOT HARD TO GET IN TROUBLE IN A GROUP LIKE THAT.' ACTUALLY IT IS, KINDA' HARD. BUT SOME PEOPLE CAN MAKE THE EFFORT. [he chuckles again]

(WTS) 'When a person is DF'd, those who are still there in the congregation do avoid contact with them.

'The apostle John, in his second letter said, 'Never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him....For he who says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.'

'This was a young girl who was disfellowshipped then got reinstated...'What may seem harsh to outsiders is both necessary and really a loving thing to do. I am grateful that our heavenly Father is a loving and forgiving God.'

'Now, she wrote that after she was reinstated but she did say, 'Thank you'.

A supposed video creation of Robert Pevy, of the "Jehovah's Witness Writing Staff" and Rodney Stark, "Sociologist"

To be edited. You can see how snippets of Stark's interview were used to 'spin' a PR creation for the WTS.

The man's voice is so SMOOTH....this would not be nice or fair, but I can almost hear that same smooth, detached, manipulative tone emulating from the UK guy who abused his daughter and then praised her for her 'obedience'.

Your comments, as always....

• searcher
    searcher

Dia.

Reading that, it seems to me that it was more of a platform to make a statement.

Was Stark only there for comi relief? If not he's not much of an interwiewer.

searcher.

• Dia
    Dia

Personally, I believe Stark did his interview in a complete academic vaccuum, unaware of how it was going to be chopped up and used.

In fact, I would even suspect the two segments might be lengthaly separated in time. Stark might have done an interview ABOUT Jehovah's Witnesses and, it would seem, other groups too, years ago.

Only the WTS has the gaul to abscond it for their self-promotion. I look forward to finding out that Stark has been informed of how his 'aura' is being used to support their criminal behavior.

Shame, shame, shame.

• searcher
    searcher

The only thing that surprises me about the GB, is that they have not yet(to my knowledge) taken INDIVIDUAL WORDS from any statement/comment/book, and strung THEM together.

I hope the GB is not reading this, I would not want to give them 'bad ideas' and compromise thier ethics.

searcher.

edited for typo's(it's early)

s.

Edited by - searcher on 29 July 2002 1:34:28

• Dia
    Dia

S.,

Cute.

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

The only thing that surprises me about the GB, is that they have not yet (to my knowledge) taken INDIVIDUAL WORDS from any statement/comment/book, and strung THEM together.

Searcher, have you read the pamphlet "Should You Believe in the Trinity?"? Every "quote" in it was done just as you describe -- especially the ones from from the early church fathers.

Robert Frazier

• searcher
    searcher

Robert

Not managed to get that one yet but look foreward to reading it.

searcher.

• Dia
    Dia

The 'KEY WORDS AND PHRASES' that make this video a manipulative disgrace:

Who is disfellowshipped?

'...a person who SINS VERY SERIOUSLY AGAINST GOD and AGAINST THE CONGREGATION...'

WTS, wouldn't this be YOU instead of the Bowens, Andersons, etc.???

'...who refuses to repent and abandon THE WRONG WAY'...

Wouldn't this be YOU instead of the Bowens, Andersons, etc.???

'...disfellowshipping is a PROTECTION OF THE CONGREGATION...'

WTS, wouldn't it be YOU and your policies that the congregation needs to be protected from????

'...if WRONG PRACTICES are allowed to remain...'

WTS, aren't you the ones who, by your disfellowshipping actions are ENSURING that WRONG PRACTICES can REMAIN, and remain unchallenged?

'...who have MORAL CODES that they adhere to...' [from Stark]

Another definition of 'moral' is virtuous'. Who can possibly believe that what they are defending by disfellowshipping WT whistle-blowers is in any sense, 'virtuous'.

Shame, shame, shame.....

• Dia
    Dia

Just bumping this up, hoping for comments.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I don't give a G**amn rat's pattotie if Rodney Stark was used and abused or misquoted or whatever the h**l else his SUPPORTERS and near WORSHIPERS are saying about him.

Those of us with a half a brain KNOW what he said. Especially the part where "they contain good information about reporting the abuse and going to the authoriities" BWAHAHAHAHHAHA..

The fact is, that the info is up on the web for all the inhabited earth to see and hear, and if he really has been wronged by Watchtower, he needs to ge his sorry a*s up there somewhere and SAY SO.

He does NOT need to be keeping one hundred percent silent on the matter. He does NOT need to be answering emails PRAISING his work and then REFUSING to answer emails with questions about this video(s)---practicially in the same BREATH.

His continual and persistant refusal to get up there and either show proof that what he said is true (about watchtower articles and reporting abusers) or retract his statements says everything to me that I need to hear.

Good post Dia.

Transcript of Video News Release

Dr. M. Ruth Infante, Psychiatrist, Psychopharmacologist

Dr. Robert P. Dickey, Pediatrician

Dr. Rodney Stark, Professor of Sociology

Education on Child Abuse Through Publications of Jehovah's Witnesses

Dr. Infante: I do believe that organizations, like the Jehovah's Witness organization, their role,

I think, would be primarily to educate. I think, through pamphlets, through

maybe perhaps seminars, teaching of families. To educate about what goes on out

there, what things to look for, or maybe what questions to ask their children. You

know, what sort of red flags to have so that they can have their antenna up. So, I

think education is really the key.

Dr. Dickey: I think the production of those articles is pretty clear evidence that the

organization is serious about preventing that. I mean, I can't see how you could

say that you would be covering up anything if you were educating people.

Dr. Stark: They have some extremely frank articles on things like incest, on child

molestation very well-designed articles, telling parents how to teach their

children to deal with the molestation situation. And in ways so that the child will

feel secure about coming home and reporting it. And then "what shall we do if

such a thing should happen?" I mean, these are the most practical like how you

notify the proper officials, law enforcement officials, how do you deal with the

child, what are issues concerning therapy, what is the church's responsibility.

Dr. Infante: If there was any organization that was trying to educate their members about

issues related to sexual abuse, I certainly do not think that they would be

harboring pedophiles. Certainly not knowingly.

Dr. Stark: I don't know what more you could possibly do than to bring the problem out in

the open and tell everybody how to watch for it, and what to do about it. And it's

still going to happen. And the church is very aware that it's going to happen,

which is why it has the campaign in the first place. I mean, it goes back to the

fact that in any human group almost anything that can happen will happen

sometime or another. That's what it means to be sinners

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit