Soooo not out! Talking to an ex-jw...

by detective 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• detective
    detective

Well, I damn near put my foot in it this evening. A friend of mine who is well aware of my continuing friendship with a JW (now allegedly ex-JW) told me I should meet an ex-JW that he knows. I felt pretty excited about meeting an ex-JW face to face as I've longed for a chance to speak honestly with someone who knows the organization well and my friend isn't ready to really discuss the issues yet.

Big mistake. Biiiiiiiiig mistake. About forty seconds into the conversation it became woefully apparent that the gal I was talking with was "out" but not at all out. You know how it is, someone who walks away for personal reasons but cannot even begin to think about the organization and it's teachings in an even remotely objective fashion. She was a very nice person. Ummmm, but I could tell that if I continued to converse with her she'd have labelled me an "opposer" before the evening was over.

What I was struck by was how deeply entrenched in the ideas people can be, even several years after leaving. Since I could see that she was still "in" on a number of levels, I knew it would be interesting to understand her perspective a bit better even though I knew the conversation would be fairly fruitless. I decided to take a stab at drawing her out in a bit to see where she was coming from. I explained that my friend was a JW but had left the group and I was worried that he might carry around a deep level of guilt for leaving. She looked at me and said- straightfaced- that if a person feels guilty or bad for leaving that it's their fault and that it has nothing to do with the organization. I had already ascertained that she was still in the mindset but i was really blown away by the unwavering loyalty to the organization years after leaving. It was weird- I understood that some people remain indoctrinated even after leaving but it was really bizarre to hear it firsthand. I guess you'd have to keep in mind that I really have only met active witnesses, never any inactive ones so I probably got too excited at the possibility of...free speech...honesty...good debate...I dunno- I was just excited. I tried to casually mention that I thought my friend might feel better- feel less guilt and so on- if at some point he was able to look at the teachings and such and understand that there is more to be considered than just whether or not he could follow there rules. She didn't seem to go for it, so I backed off figuring anything I said would just upset her.

However, I did ask her if she had ever gone online to any of these boards and she visibily tensed up and said no and that people who are on these sites are all just bitter or have a problem. She told me that she still believes the organization is right, but that being gay and not being excited about meetings and such made her feel like a hypocrite so she disassociated herself (which she then explained was different than doing something wrong and being disfellowshipped because somebody wasn't sorry about it).

As I was talking to her, I was wondering if in a few years my friend would be the same way. Afraid to look, afraid to challenge, afraid to think outside the pages of magazines they stopped peddling years before. I got a little sad. It seemed like this woman was always going to feel responsible for somehow failing to meet the high standards...

I know that I have to eventually get my friend to consider the other side of the argument, even if he chooses to dismiss the validity of counter-arguments. I tend to wonder when I should start gently suggesting that he start researching. He's only just beginning to open up about some of his family issues. I don't want to push, but I sure would hate for him to end up where this girl is emotionally and/or intellectually. She seemed to be deeply in denial and probably never really feels comfortable with her decision. At least, that's the impression I got. I had hoped to introduce her to my friend (who was there in the room but not by my side at the time I spoke to this woman) but it obvious to me that getting them talking would probably do more harm than good. Besides, she didn't really seem to like the idea of talking to him about any of it anyway (perhaps left over fear of ex-jw types?) I told her it was too bad that they couldn't share the whole been there,done that thing but I didn't think my friend was ready yet to talk about it. In reality, I was just more concerned that her blind acceptance of the groups rightness would just compound my friend's feeling of guilt for leaving.

Just some thoughts on my encounter I thought I'd share...

Edited by - detective on 27 July 2002 1:4:41

• Flip
    Flip

I suspect its difficult, more often than not, having an objective discussion with someone who's wearing a straight-jacket.

Edited by - Flip on 27 July 2002 2:6:10

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Oh, this is so scary. This person is in limbo. Still afraid and disliking the world, and not JW either. What a sad unhappy existance! I wonder how many people who leave the WT get lost in this never land...afraid of having fun and celebrating and joining the world as it is "wrong", yet not JW anymore, yet in some ways wishing they were.

You are so right, they have to work it all through and figure out the whys and where they want to be or they will never be happy. So difficult when their mind is slammed shut.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I have 2 friends who are DF'd JW's, but don't consider themselves ex-JW's. They both have seen hypocrisy in the organization, and they both say they have done intense self-scrutiny.

The teachings of the Borg have infiltrated the minds of these friends for well over 2 decades, to the point that they still buy the philosophy, even if they don't feel "worthy" of sharing in it.

It takes more than a physical separation from the organization to be emotionally, mentally and spiritually disconnected from it.

• rosalyn
    rosalyn

Some people are more easily influenced than others. A few can be in the org for their whole lives and make a fairly clean break when leaving or being disfellowshipped. Others are simply so overwhelmed by the whole "experience" in a few short months or years that they never recover from having been involved with the jws. It's because we all have different personalities.

I was told that leaving the witnesses is like re-decorating your house. You usually do it one room at a time and sometimes it takes years before you move into another room to start work. If you try to attempt a complete makeover in one shot burn out will likely occur. Same with the org. One doctrine at a time needs to be examined and maybe touched up abit and can be re-used in another room. And then there are times to say "screw doctrine" Why not just enjoy the other freedoms that are allowed now that we are "in the world." For myself: I can vote, I can read Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy inspite of the magic,I can give blood, I can go a folk concert in a church,truly enjoy the friendships of real people. And there's more.

Patience with ourselves and others is probably the key here. I have some non witness relatives who where somewhat involved way back when. When my aunt uses the phrase "The Truth" I cringe and I have tactfully remind her that it is not "The Truth". Tactful hasn't always been in may nature and she remembers this. She says I am a nicer person now that I am out which I take to be huge boost. And coming from this aunt it is quite the compliment and I'll take compliments whenever I can get them....Let see what org policy doesn't allow for one's head to become full blown...oooops I can't remember. Feels so good to have memory lapses sometimes doesn't it?

Rosalyn

• COMF
    COMF

If she's gay, she's not exactly teetering on the brink of going back. It would be a kindness on somebody's part to steer her here, poor thing, and get her free.

Just slip out the back, Jack
    Makin' new plans, Stan
    Don't need to be coy, Roy
    Just listen to me.
    Or you hop on the bus, Gus
    Don't need to discuss much,
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And git choself free.

• detective
    detective

I did want to steer her here but I was surprised by how quickly she dismissed everyone here as bitter. I felt bad for her because, as you said, she can't go back if she's going to live her life with a same sex partner but at the same time she's convinced that the organization is right. My friend is straight, so I end up thinking that as long as he doesn't research the teachings he might end up wanting to go back at some point. It's not as if his sexuality prohibits him from being a member in the same way that it does for this woman. I know it's too early to tell how it will be for my friend but I do worry that at some point he'll head back in. There hasn't been enough time passed to see if he'll start to open up and explore but I am concerned about his returning at some point. Especially if he feels it's just his fault that he's not really into being a witness.

My heart went out to this woman. She seemed a little hostile though. It was a strange encounter.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Years ago a fellow that worked at the Oregon Primate Research Center told me about an amazingly simple method used to trap monkeys. Anchor a jar with a nut in it, such that the mouth of the jar is wide enough for the monkey to put its hand in, but too small for the monkey to withdraw the nut in its closed fist. Even as the trapper approaches, the monkey will NOT let go of the nut, and soon it's in the bag.

I think we all tend to hold onto what we have, even when our instincts tell us that it is disadvantageous, or even dangerous, to do so. E.g., how many people who have lived in an abusive relationship, when finally freed from that relationship, turn right around and take up with another abuser? How many people throw good money after bad? How many people continue to put up with an oppressive job that they hate? How many people leave one high-control religion simply to join another one of the same type but under a different name? Not to mention self-destructive addictions.

Who knows, maybe your influence will be just enough to help your friend break that cycle!

Craig

• teejay
    teejay

>> What I was struck by was how deeply entrenched in the ideas people can be, even several years after leaving.

Hi, Detective.

Here, you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

The "ex-JW" friend you encountered sounds an awful lot like my sister. My sister has been inactive for years, claims that she ain't never going back, but is ever-so-defensive whenever the slightest negative light is shone on the WTS. It used to strike me as quite odd but now I've pretty much gotten used to it. I now point out the corruption / evil of the WTS only to rile her. I know she's not going to give what I say any serious thought. She's still a believer.

Uh... by the way... one of her pet phrases relative to her inactive status is that, "I believe they have the truth, I just couldn't live up to their high standards and didn't want to live a double life." Sound familiar? I mean... what-evvveeerrrrr! [8>]

Of course, the obvious mental / emotional dysfunction in the "ex" that you met is perhaps only a foregleam of what's in store for you and your friend. It takes a great deal of honesty and love of real truth -- a relentless desire to face cold, hard, often painful facts -- for people to come out from under the mental and emotional control of religions like the Watchtower and leave them entirely. (Even then, the pull of the religion is *still* felt for a very long time.) Maybe your friend has it... is an ex- for the right (and lasting) reasons.

Then again...

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Decetive, it has long ago been my experience that while people and their problems can be at the very least entertaining and you can turn yourself inside out trying to convince them of a better or different way, it's a lot of time wasted. IMHO. There is nothing you can do to make anyone change themselves. You can only point them in a direction and maybe light the road, but the trip is still up to them. Sometimes they just aren't ready to make the trip. The best way you can help them is to live your life in harmony with what you believe, maybe they will see that you have a better way and want to know more about it, in that case let them know you are here for the guidance.

I felt pretty excited about meeting an ex-JW face to face as I've longed for a chance to speak honestly with someone who knows the organization well and my friend isn't ready to really discuss the issues yet.

Even after that statement I failed to see where you spoke honestly about organizational issues. Granted there was a lot of conversation we weren't privy to, or was there?

What I was struck by was how deeply entrenched in the ideas people can be, even several years after leaving.

You have to know that for most of us it's the brainwashing and stigma of the "Apostacy" label, I myself won't come out to my JW relatives because I still want a relationship with them. My way of "sticking it" to the WTS, passive agressive I know, chicken also, but I have family members who would be totally devastated and think of me as dead and I just cannot do this to them in their few years remaining on this earth, or mine. Life is just too short, too precious to spend time arguing over the policies of the brainwashed dubs.

I felt bad for her because, as you said, she can't go back if she's going to live her life with a same sex partner but at the same time she's convinced that the organization is right. My friend is straight, so I end up thinking that as long as he doesn't research the teachings he might end up wanting to go back at some point

jjrizo said it best:

Its amazing she's so loyal being that she's gay.

IMHO she's mentally punishing herself for her gay life style, because if she was truly gay and loved it she wouldn't have anything to do with the Jw's.

By siding with the Jw's she is undermining herself, because if the Jw's are right on any issue, than she's wrong, simple as that.

and onacruise said in a nutshell what I said above:

I think we all tend to hold onto what we have, even when our instincts tell us that it is disadvantageous, or even dangerous, to do so. E.g., how many people who have lived in an abusive relationship, when finally freed from that relationship, turn right around and take up with another abuser?

The only answer is to live your life, to live it well and be honorable to your beliefs. As the saying goes, "you can leave a horse to water but you can't make it drink." It sounds like you are a very concerned person, but your friends will have to find their way as we all are in this enlightenment of the JW conspiricy. I wish you luck in showing them the road.

bc

"Life is like a ten speed bicycle, we all have gears we never use." Charles Schultz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit