Construction Guys

by Pierced Angel 3 Replies latest social humour

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Subject: Construction Guys

This is truly a heart-warming story about the bond formed between a little girl and some construction workers. This makes you
    want to believe in the goodness of people and believe there is hope for the human race. A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant lot. One day a construction crew turned up to start building a house on
    the empty lot. The young family's 6-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in all the activity going on next door and started talking with the workers. She hung around and eventually the construction crew, gems-in-the-rough all of them, more or less adopted her as a kind of project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there
    to make her feel important. At the end of the first week they even presented her with a p ay envelope containing a dollar. The little girl took this home to her mother who said all the appropriate words of admiration and suggested that they take the dollar pay she had received to the bank the next day to start a savings account. When they got to the bank the teller was equally impressed with the story and asked the little girl how she had come by her very
    own pay check at such a young age. The little girl proudly replied, "I've been working with a crew building a house all week."
    "My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week too?"
    She replied "I will if those useless sons-a-bitches at the lumber yard ever bring us any drywall that's worth a shit."

• LB
    LB

Ummmm, sadly that story is soooo close to home for me. I'm no 6 year old girl, but I was 18 and had just started in a construction job. I had never sworn in front of my parents and in fact, seldom swore anywhere. But after a couple of weeks I do recall asking my mom to pass me the fucking butter at dinner.

It got quiet, very quiet.

Edited by - LB on 28 July 2002 20:29:16

• COMF
    COMF

I have been completely taken in. Suckered. Played for the big one. I never saw it coming.

I saw your intro and was thinking, "Oh, brother, here we go again with the same old recycled crap that comes around in the email about once every six months." But I didn't recognize the "construction worker" setting so I went ahead reading it half-heartedly, thinking "blah blah blah" in my head, right up to the final sentence. What a setup! I laughed out loud a long time at that one.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

*clasp hands to chest excitedly*

That is sooo cute!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit