"Shepherd the Flock" book.

by Bosho 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bosho
    Bosho

Hey,

I'm relatively new here and wondered if any Ex-Elders (or indeed anyone who knows) could tell me what's so secret about the "Shepherd the Flock" book.

What is in that book that they don't want ordinary publishers to see?

I haven't met an Elder yet that can give me a good answer as to why it's kept so quiet.

Any help would be gratefully received.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

I'm sure you could find excerpts on a website somewhere. I find new things everyday.

The thing I don't understand about witnesses is there need to keep so many things secret. If it is the true religion then why keep things from the R&F?

• Bosho
    Bosho

RandomTask

Yeah, you're right!

See, if the society isn't a "secret society" why can't we all get a look at this book?

• larc
    larc

Bosho, go to WatchtowerObserver, where you can find the entire docuement, plus several others.

• somebody
  • Bosho
    Bosho

Thanks everyone!

bosho

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

See, if the society isn't a "secret society" why can't we all get a look at this book?

That's easy. Because the Watchtower "clergy class" that doesn't exist doesn't want you to be in on the "sacred secrets" of the Watchtower "clergy class". Because it doesn't exist, you see. In fact, the "Shepherd the Flock" book doesn't exist either, since it can be found on "apostate" websites on the internet, and anything that's on the internet that doesn't make the Society look good must be a forgery.

Hope that clears everything up.

Robert Frazier

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Robert Frazier-

That was one of the most concise and accurate explanations I have ever seen given on this board.

Very well done, and unfortunately, extremely on point.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

This is one reason why the WTS wants the book kept secret; I'll explain later. Do bear in mind that the actual content of the book is nothing unique or new. All the detail is compiled from previous Watchtower articles and KMs. However, it is in a dumbed down form and presented as a book of rules and procedures. Whatever the question or accusation the book is designed to provide instruction on how to handle it, and what the penalty is for the sin. Since the book doesn't specifically explain the length of "momentary" in such phrases as "momentary touching of the breasts," it still leaves the elders some leeway in ascertaining the "seriousness" of the sin.

Since the book provides step-by-step procedures I believe the WTS wants it kept from the congregation purely to stop members criticizing elders for not following proper procedure.

However, it appears to me that more non-elders than elders have read and understood the book.

What is interesting, and what would be a real find, is a copy with an elder's hand-written notes in the margin. These notes are entered during Elder training (used in a very looses way since "elders are untrained volunteers,") and after Society letters are read by the CO during his meeting with the elder body. These are the real secrets; the things only verbally relayed and not committed to hard print.

Thirdson

Edited by - thirdson on 30 July 2002 0:52:17

• blondie
    blondie
    Do bear in mind that the actual content of the book is nothing unique or new.

Thirdson, there is one unique thing that I have never found in any publications outside the Flock book. If it is located somewhere else, could you point me to the publication. I think it is ludicrous to think that staying overnight with someone of the opposite sex proves that immorality occurred (as if sexual acts don't happen during the day).

Strong circumstantial evidence, such as pregnancy or evi-
    dence (testified to by at least two witnesses) that the
    accused stayed all night in the same house with a person of
    the opposite sex (or in the same house with a known
    homosexual ) under improper circumstances, is acceptable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit