What do Jehovahs witness?

by sleepy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hi Julien,

Sorry I guess the connection is more intuitive than I thought.

Many dictionaries contain as definitions of "Witness" reference to it being "evidence", e.g. Webster's New World: "1. attesting of a fact, statement, etc.; evidence;....5. something providing or serving as evidence." (Barron's Law Dictionary also supports this definition.)

In defining "example", Webster's says thus:

"1. something selected to show the nature or character of the rest; single part or unit used as a sample; typical instance; 2. a case, punishment, etc. that serves as a warning or caution; 3. a person or thing to be imitated; model; pattern; precedent..."

Reviewing Isaiah Chapter 43:

Verse 8, "Bring forth a people blind through eyes themselves exist, and the ones deaf though they have ears. 9 Let the nations all be collected together at one place, and let national groups be gathered together. Who is there among them that can tell this? Or can they cause us to hear even the first things? Let them furnish their witnesses that they may be declared righteous, or let them hear and say, "It is the truth!" 10 "You are my witnesses, " is the utterance of Jehovah, "even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that you may know and have faith in me, and that you may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continue to be none. 11 I--I am Jehovah and besides me there is no saviour."

So God, via Isaiah is laying down a challenge saying to the Nations, let them furnish their witnesses or their samples and be declared righteous. The nations cannot. Thus he says to the Jews: "You are my witnesses!"

We see therefore that as I mentioned in my post being a "Witness" is in part testifying to God's truths (Just as JWs believe they are doing) but also there is the connotation of serving as an "example" or evidence that out of mankind, a sample can be found that wll be righteous to God. In short, an example can be evidence, i.e. a "witness." In this sense then being one of "Jehovah's Witnesses" is being an example (or sample) which is evidence in the grand courtroom drama of universal soveignty (See Book of Job).

Unfortunately, I am not at home but perhaps someone can dig up the original hebrew here and I believe it might be more enlightening of our understanding.

--Eduardo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

follow up to NeonMadman,

I fully agree with you that what is being portrayed here is very much like a courtroom. It is all similar to the issue and doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses that what this whole existence is about now is resolving the issue of Universal Sovereignty.

See my above post on how an "EXAMPLE" can be considered EVIDENCE, i.e. a "witness".

Your conclusion in your post ignores something very important. The Jewish faith is notoriously and traditionally not a proselytizing faith. There is no indication that when God was talking to the Israelites that he was expecting them to "testify" to the nations, to go about them and to tell about God's truth! That would have been very abnormal for them to do as generally they did not mix with the people of the nations.

Rather as I have asserted what he meant is that they testify about God by serving as an example (no NOT necessarily saying that the nations were to IMITATE them--that too would be unreasonable for the Jews to expect), but rather as an example the way that JOB is an example in the bible for us. To remain faithful. Job and other men of faith are referred to as WITNESSES (See Hebrews 12:1 which Paul states after citing so many men of faith) not because of what these Witnesses said or testified too but BECAUSE they are EXAMPLES for us today.

It was in this manner of testimony or witnessing that God was saying that the nation of Israel would serve as a Witness for HIM. It was in this sense that the Jews, not expecting to go preaching to the Nations mind you, but rather by their way of living were to serve as examples for the world.

--Eduardo

• belbab
    belbab

Now maybe you will find my comment here, blasphemous, but it needs to be asked.

Are Jehovah's Witnesses still His witnesses if they are faithful or not faithful?

"It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed,
    And there was no strange god among you;
    And there is none who can deliver out of My hand;
    I act and who can reverse it?"

Throughout the scriptures many warnings are given the Israelites informing them what the consequences would be if they turned away from Jehovah. Read Deuteronomy chap 28 and see what calamities would happen to them if they left the law.

When the Israelites abandonned the Law, they endured the consequences, no other god could tell them they would prosper if they left the law of Jah.

So whether they were faithful or not they still were evidence that He was the only true God.

Today this people that call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses believe that because they have this name, no calamity can come upon them. In His hands they could become an honorable vessel or a dishonourable vessel. Either way they will still prove He is right.

belbab

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Yes what is it exactly that Jehovahs witnesses, witness?

That God will solve all of man's problems by killing almost everyone.

Tired of injustice? Kill six BILLION people.

Tired of wars? Kill six BILLION people with the Mother-of-All Wars.

Tired of poverty? Kill six BILLION people including several hundred million starting people.

Tired of disease? Kill six BILLION people including hundreds and hundreds of millions of people afflicted with disease.

Tired of religious intolerance? Kill ALL people who show intolerance to your people and BILLIONS of others who DO tolerance your religion.

Tired of growing old? God will KILL you so you'll never have that chance.

Tired of the lack of love in the world? God will make sure you never have it by KILLING you and even if you do, he'll kill you anyway.

Tired of the world's political institutions? God will install a new political institution that guarantees you'll be killed if you do a single thing wrong.

And if you don't believe this mesage of our "Good News(tm)?" Guess what? God is going to KILL you, your family and your children.

Now, isn't that a WONDERFUL and comforting hope to have for the future? And you can learn all about this through our helpful Bible Aids if you will JUST GIVE ME MONEY!

That's about it.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 25 July 2002 19:20:11

• FreeRangeChicken
    FreeRangeChicken

What do Jehovahs witness?

not much, as long as you keep your drapes closed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit