OOBE, lucid dreams and astro projection

by SpiceItUp 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I waas reading JanH post on the chemicals in our brains relating to various phenomenon. Started to think about the subject of astro-projection, also known as Out Of Body Experiences and even sometimes called lucid dreaming.

This is a cool site I found on it.....

Another link I found describes Lucid Dreaming and Astro-projecting to be different....

http://www.spiritweb.org/Spirit/obe-vs-lucid.html

I have never had any such experience although I would like to if I could ever get my mind still enough to focus.

Has anyone every had any experiences they would like to tell about. I find the entire subject completely fascinating.

Do you believe or not believe in it? Why or why not? Is it real or just in our imaginations? Or is our subconcious trying to tell us something?

• QCA1
    QCA1

Hi Spiceitup

I have had 2 OBE's in the past.Quite an experience it was too. To see yourself looking at your body from above is scary as well as fasinating,scared the hell out of me the 1st time and i was quickly reunited with my body,the 2nd time i was aware it was happening and i went with it,you really cannot explain it through an email. I can tell you the feeling i had that proceeds an OBE is i felt a funny sensation in my solar plexus area then a pull it was very weird. There are lots of books on the subject and it is a very interesting subject indeed,and yes you can train your spirit to leave your body with dedication and focus,perhaps a little meditation would be in order,i wish you love on your journey, as all things be careful.

qca1

• julien
    julien

The question is, can you OOBE to a place and get information that you couldn't get otherwise, to prove you were really OOBE not just imagining it.

• dolphman
    dolphman

cool subject.

Happened to me once. Wish it would happen again. The strangest thing in the whole world. One second i'm just about to fall into deep sleep (but still somewhat awake), the next i'm squeezing out of my body. Kind of like when you squeeze toothpaste. Anyways I just started floating to the top of my cieling. It looked like something was still connecting me to my body. I remember seeing myself asleep. As soon as I became really aware of what was happening i began to float back down and re-emerge into myself again.

It was an amazing experience and if you haven't had one, get a book and try to make it happen. It'll blow your mind once you discover its real. I've tried to do it again but it takes a lot of work/practice.

rich

• dolphman
    dolphman

Hey Julien,

I saw a special once about an experiment that proved OOBE, although it hasn't been duplicated.

Apparently a researcher had a test subject (who was prone to OOBEs) spend the night in the lab. The researcher put a piece of paper on top of a shelf with a word written on it. The subject was asked to have an OOBE and read the paper, all the while cameras were recording the subject sleeping to make sure he didn't cheat. Well i guess that night they monitored an increase in certain brain waves and the next day the test subject said he had read the piece of paper and sure enough said the word that was written on it.

Could be a bunch of shit. But i saw it on the Discovery Channel

• LucidSky
    LucidSky

I try to lucid dream whenever I realize I am dreaming, but I often wake up soon after. I've tried some of the techniques that allow you to continue dreaming, but it takes some practice. I was able to control my dreams twice that way.

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

Apostle Paul in 2nd Cor. 12 describes something lke this. He even says; "In my body or out of my body I don'y know which" Of course the Watchtower sidetracks the issue by putting the focas on themselves. By saying that what Paul seen was the modern day organization of JW. What eeryone fails to notice is that Paul himself believes that an OOBE is possible wth ones spirit.... I would be careful with this. Dave

• TheStar
    TheStar

When I was a teen I had what I have refered to for years as a very bizarre dream. I always remember it vividly as if it had occured yesterday but never felt it was anything more than just that, a weird dream... until one day in my English class my English teacher proceeds to tell the class about her OOBE and it really freaked me out. Her experience sounded almost identical to my weird dream. I sat in my desk, frozen still at the possibility that I could have experienced some strange phenomenon. Being so young it really did freak me out but never got me curious enough to do any research on the matter and since I've always been a big skeptic on any kind of phenomenon it was easy for me to dismiss the idea.

I'm still a skeptic, although I will admit I have never done the research on OOBEs so in all fairnes I can not speak on the matter but I will share the story of what happened to me that night when I was a teen sleeping in my room.

First of all I know I was sleeping, it was evening and we had all gone to bed. I don't remember dreaming about anything, I only remember suddenly feeling happier than I had ever felt before and I felt so peaceful. A kinda peace that I can not describe. I remember thinking to myself how great I felt and saying to myself "Wow it feels so great as if I were floating on air." and I laughed and enjoyed that floating feeling. Then I looked around and realize, OMG I AM floating on air. I was in my bedroom and I was floating up in the ceiling so I started moving myself around the room.

Shortly after I looked down and noticed my very still body lying in curled position in my bed. I don't know what it was about seeing my body that totally freaked me out. In an instant my overwhelming happiness turned to utter fear, I felt like something was wrong, something was telling me that I should not be up floating around while my body was down lying in the bed. I remember thinking to myself "I should not be here", "I should be down there with my body."

Immediately I set out to get back to my body but I was like a helium balloon. I had to push really hard (like I was pushing against a strong wind) to advance a little toward my body but then I just get sucked right back up to the ceiling. As I couldn't get back to my body I was getting more and more frightened. I then thought to myself " I must be dreaming, I have to wake myself up." I tried moving around the room to turn on the light to wake myself up but my hand could not touch anything, my fingers were transparent and would slip right through, never being able to grip the light switch. I tried banging on the walls of my room but my hand would go right through the wall. I struggled and struggled for what seemed like an eternity and I felt exhausted and to the point of crying out of fear.

Finally somehow the floating stopped and I did not see myself apart from my body any longer, I was conscience but I was not awake. Though I felt relieved that I was no longer floating I still wanted to awaken from the terrible dream, I just felt like I was not going to be ok until I completely woke up. So I tried to open my eyes and it was the same struggle as when I was floating and wanting to return to my body.

It felt so scarey, then somehow I finally woke up in a panic, like if I was being suffocated and all the sudden I was able to breathe again. When I realized I was awake, I felt terribly relieved and thankful to be awake. I calmed myself down and told myself it was over, it was just a dream and I could go back to sleep without fear. I went back to sleep and woke up in the morning ready to start another school day.

I've not shared this story with too many people before. I don't know if it's considered an OOBE or not and it really doesn't matter to me either way but I do remember it very vividly to this day, almost 20 years later.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hey thanks, this is great. Reminds me of a test I went through after a small stroke. The doctor placed me under a high-speed strobe, with my eyes shut whie they studied my brain waves ... it was a patterned reflective sensation, and was very soothing.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i've never had an out-of-body experience. well, almost... you see, this one time at band camp, me and this guy went out in the woods after everyone else went to bed...(oops, never mind)

one of my favorite stories is one written by ray bradbury. i can't remember the name of it, but it was about this girl named circe who could astrally project herself into things. she lived in an old dark abandoned mansion with other creatures of the night. she would go out and stay out all night, and come home exhausted. she would go inside a flower like a gardenia (which blooms at night) and become the flower, or a cat and experience the moonlit world through a cat's eyes, or a streetwalker and experience her bleak existence, or a snake, mouse, etc. it's one of his more haunting, beautiful works and i can't find it anywhere 'cause i don't remember the title

i think i lucid dream naturally. many times i can direct the outcome of a dream, good or bad, without even trying... i wonder if everyone does that. or just dopamine-infested people, haha. ah well more unsolved mysteries...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit