Are atheists more likely to be morally good than Christians?

by FusionTheism 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Fascinating comments :)

I've seen several evolutionists and scientists before say that religion evolved to help human beings survive better.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

fusiontheism, I hope that you at least can see that I am offering my views for the sake of discussion and not because I am sharing deeply held cherished beliefs

edit: someone here (Ithink it was Dolt) said that people are responding to themselves rather than to anything else. I am trying hard to address the op

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I do not. Religion has oppressed and destroyed progress and peace. If I ask you what is the least peaceful place on earth you most likely also think of the most religious. And the birth place of Judaism, Christianity, and islam. So no. I give religion no credit as a whole. I known people some in my family that can't stay out of prison without yhwh the boogie man looking over their shoulder but that's a different discussion.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

fusiontheism

I've seen several evolutionists and scientists before say that religion evolved to help human beings survive better.

indeed. Today it seems that MAD (mutually assured destruction) enables us to survive. I think that love, which religion extols is better and there is of course the track record of religion and this despite as I said in a previous post that religion is just as responsible for bads things too.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

In 2013 a report was released by the United States Federal Bureau of Prisons.The report looks at all the federally run prisons in the U.S. — that makes up about 218,000 prisoners — and the inmates’ religious affiliations. When they say that less than one percent identify as atheist, they actually mean 0.07 percent. That’s right, 0.07 percent. That is way less than one percent.

In reality, that number could be even lower. Seeing as how 17 percent don’t identify with any religious preference, this could mean more don’t believe in God(s) but choose not to identify as atheist. At the very least, they do not identify with any of the world’s major religions.

So how can this be? When the religious right is constantly claiming a moral authority in this country, how can it be that they make up more than half (the report shows 28.7 percent identify as Protestant and 24 percent Catholic) of the prison population?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I agree with religion and evolution you two. If you are choosing to stay stuck in a religious idea you haven't evolved. Man had many imaginative ideas during his evolution, they thought that disaster were brought on when ever a comet passed.

You should both do some reading on the role that Oxytocin plays on both our social evolution and morality. Instead of crediting a bronze age desert god maybe you guys could give credit where credit is due.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Freemindfade,

But, as the latest June JW TV episode showed, and as many shows on television and movies portray, a lot of people convert to religion in prison when they are visited by prison missionaries.

Couldn't that be a big factor?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I gave you a "like" freemindfade as I do like reading the friendlyatheists blog. let me engage with your and his points before I reply. this may take days - sorry

edit: oops you have taken away the link

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    But some people seem to have the belief that atheists are MORE likely to be morally good, or MORE likely to change the world for good, than Christians and theists.

The problem is just people.

Erradicate the human race from the universe and things will be better.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    FusionTheism. Absolutely not! Please do not believe everything you see on JW.broadcast, or on regular TV. I have a lot of family that conduct studies in Prison and I have had more than a few in federal prison. They are not converting atheists. They are finding run of the mill christians and making them JW cult members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit