The Privilege of Handling the Microphones

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Gosh! I get a good laugh from reading people's posts!

I rememeber how the young brothers would always look down whenever they were waiting on someone' to finish commenting. Now I know why! You pimps you!

This last service meeting the school overseer made it clear during the annoucements that he would have "a brief meeting with the mic handlers after the meeting to discuss their "promptness of passing around the mics" How embaressing for them!

• Dune
    Dune

I still do the mics (i'm still in good standing). I've been doing it since i was 12. i'm 19 now. In my congregation, its the complete opposite, the other guys avoid the mics like the plague. I pratically have to do it at least once a week, even though we have a full list of attendants, its kinda weird. There arent any really hot sisters (ok, any that i find attractive...) so i dont think i'll be looking down blouses any time soon, but thanks for the tip ;-).

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I get so pissed off when I have to do it.

You can't sleep standing up!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Blondie,

That just goes to show you that God's Holy Spirit is involved in thier appointment and scheduling. It would take a religious mystery to explain such a system.

W.Once

• zagor
    zagor
    I rememeber how the young brothers would always look down whenever they were waiting on someone' to finish commenting. Now I know why! You pimps you!

lol
    Just for the record, I'm not saying that's what I would do now. But when you give such a job to a teenager what else do you expect?!!?
    Mind you, I still think I was quite decent compered to some other guys in the hall including some "mature" elders.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Things have gone major downhill in our area, a brother I know who no way qualifies, as his service report is less than 5 hours and he is very irregular often gets asked, because there is noone else! When I was at the meeting once the elder in charge came up to me and said angrily.. "Where is xxxxx, he is on the microphone rota"

I laughed and replied "There's a ROTA????"

Because none of the brothers ever did it when they were assigned and nobody knew whos turn it was!

But talking of privileges.. I was once told I could not pioneer because my nose is pierced..at the time I thought about it carefully, and although I could not see any SCRIPTURAL reason why this was being said, I removed my piercing. About a year later I had it redone!

Poppy

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

I remember in my day the mid teens did the mics. It had nothing to do with the hours one put in to door knocking. The only criteria were zits. I was never interested and I was never interested in answering their questions either.

I was thrown into working the sound and handling microphones, as I was in bands and have my own PA. This was before I was even babtized.

I remember the very first meeting I ever went to the sound system was all screwed up and making noise. My dad asked if I would fix it, so I looked at it made a few adjustments and the problem was solved. Of course the person "assigned" to work sound was pissed. He said "What do you think your doing? You have no authortiy over me!" I thought that was a strange thing to say, however me being the smart ass I am, I just replied "I'm just doing what you can't do, so shut the f**k up" -This was my very first visit and I didn't want to be there.

A few years later, after being brain washed into the WT, the congragation was in the market for a new microphone system. They asked if I could look into it. I went to the music store i do business with and this guy there was going to get for me, AT COST, Nady brand wireless recievers, and four Shure brand wireless SM58 mics. (these are the top of the line brands) Then this elder said he could get a better brand (Telex) for about $200 less. I said to him, in front of the elder and servent body's "You are wrong as Nady and Shure, are the industry standard, also you wont beat the price." He then asked me "How much are you getting to broker this deal?" I said nothing as I don't work for Nady, Shure, or the store from which I got the prices, while you on the other hand work for the sole distributer of Telex in our city. No this did not win me any friends. They went with the Telex. The $200 less, that was with out the mics, and the the 4 mics he got were $150 each and were made of plastic, had very low signal, and sounded like a tin can. So for $400 more they got crap.

You think that would be the end of it, no not with them. When they got the system they could not figure out how to program th emics, or set up the system, so it became my job. I set it up like a good boy, but when it sounded like crap they wanted to know why. so I told them it is crap. After being told I was not being humble, I said well then get elder so and so, since he sold it to you. This jackass had no idea what to do so in front of everyone I said call in youe Telex rep. He did and a few days later the rep showed up early before a meeting. And in front of the people and elders that were there, the first thing the rep said to the elder who sold the system was "we discontinued this line last year, why did you buy it? So just being me I said "We could have got a Nady system with 4 Shrue SM58s for XXX" He said then why did you buy this, shure and nady are the standards. That just pissed everyone off more-towards me.

But it was one of the few times my dad actually stood up to them for me. He steped in and said "Next time he tells you something you should listen to him."(Before the WT dad and I were close but that changed as he moved up and as I moved out)

• bsmart
    bsmart

This is interesting to me because it is so long ago that when I was in (teenager) the only mic was on the podium.

Any new experiences about all things technology?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

My spouse is an electrician and VERY good at sound equipment. Because he was short a few hours, they took him off the sound and he was not allowed to hold a mic. He was also not allowed to pray or read the WT. The PO did not like my husband.

There was a mid week meeting when no one showed up to run the sound. Guess who they came to? It amazes me that these people have NO shame!

Well, long story short, this is just ONE of the shitty things this cult did to him. The old saying, "the beatings will continue until morale improves" comes to mind. This cult gets you one stab at a time.

Thank you WT and all you loving JW's for showing us the way OUT the door! Best thing that EVER happened to us!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit