The Privilege of Handling the Microphones

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

One of the most unbelievable privileges that a brother could have was being a microphone handler. Elders would discuss brothers for hours and see whether or not we would allow them to mow the lawn or handle a mike. I always felt that these brothers were doing us a favor but if they didn't get a minimum of 10 hours in per month, they were dog crap and couldn't have any privileges. Have you ever had to deal with elders concerning such "privileges"?

• ve9gra
    ve9gra

Never had to deal with them... they gave me some cheapass 'privilege' after they DF'd half the late-teens in the cong... they needed someone to fill in.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

My first time as mike handler entailed me doing it all alone, for the entire hall. That Sunday, it was almost a full house too. I had six mikes to handle and as many rows to cover. Towards the end of the study, a couple brothers finally got up to help.

After the meeting, an elder took me aside and "counseled" me for not being quick enough and having my jacket unbuttoned and having gum in my mouth. No, he was not one of the ones who finally got up to help. Although I said nothing and just accepted the counsel quietly, I couldn't help thinking, "why didn't you get up off your lazy a** and help?"

Lew W

Watchtower Decruit

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

Since we Chickies were never worthy of such a privilege, our efforts were focused on sitting on the side of the hall that the CUTE brother was assigned ...that way, when he handed us the microphone, we could very subtly touch his hand....ever so slightly.

Gals out there....back me up on this one.....So i don't feel i was the only hand-rubbing HO!

Native

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

ha ha ha Yes, they always said that we should do as much as we can. Then you get to realize there exists a certain quota. ;-)

• r51785
    r51785

My first job as a newly appointed twenty year old ministerial servant was being in charge of the sound system and stage. I was given two assistants both of whom would use this wonderful opportunity as a springboard to becoming ministerial servants themselves. What a blessing!

Not only did I oversee microphone handling, but I had the privelege of adjusting the height of the speaker's microphone and moving around any furniture on the stage for demonstrations. Truly Jehovah blesses his loyal ones!

Boy, them was the days! Now I'm just a crummy apostate, cast out into the cold and darkness with weeping and gnashing of teeth...

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Hi,

The only thing I remember as being drilled into our heads was that participating in the

Ministry School was a great privilege.

The same anouncement was made after every Thursday meeting:

"If you would like to join the school, please see one of the brothers after the meeting,

It may be that you qualify."

God, if I ever had to hear that again I would probably go totally nutzo!

YoursChelbie

• truman
    truman

This issue was one of the final factors in the exit of my son from the WTS. While he still lived at home, and dutifully tried to be a moderately good witness, mainly to please me at the time, he was the regular operator of the sound console at the local KH. He was about 20 at the time, baptized, and regular in service, and at every meeting. But the trouble was that he did not usually get the requisite 10 hours, although nothing had been said about this being a requirement when he began doing the job. But he began to get 'talked to' about his service time.

Well, his heart was not in it, so he never raised his hours. And, like me, I think that the very fact that he was being pushed, made him feel more resistant to giving in and doing what was demanded. And a demand it was, because he was threatened with removal if he didn't get his time up. Eventually, after a few months, he was told that he could no longer run the sound system. It was really the last blow to his desire to continue as a witness for whatever reason. Doing the sound system had made him feel at least a little connected to the cong., and useful, but when it was made clear that he was out due to service hours, it was all over.

At the time, I was still an unAWAKEned witness, and I was distraught at the effect this action had on him. It was completely counterproductive from the perspective of keeping him a witness. I spoke to the elder who had handled the issue, and his viewpoint was that it should encourage my son to work harder if he wanted his 'privilege' back. I said, "Have we got so many young people still in the cong. that we can afford to shove them out the KH door with both hands?" Nobody cared what the effect was on him, at least not beyond lip service concern.

Now, I see it as a different matter. He is out, and subsequently, I am out. That is a good thing. Funny how your perspective on things can change totally. Unfortunately, I still have one son in fully, but there is always hope.

truman

• minimus
    minimus

Truman, pray that your other son gets a microphone PRIVILEGE.

• truman
    truman

Minimus,

I wish it could be that easy. He is already a ministerial servant, on the way to eldership before too long I imagine. He is also connected to witnesses in his work and residence. He is very deeply entrenched, but is a thinker and a person of integrity, so I can only hope that eventually the abuses he will inevitably be exposed to as an elder, should he become one, will one day open his eyes.

truman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit