A Hummingbird in My House

by Oubliette 20 Replies latest social current

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Good for you for helping it. Never had an experience with a hummingbird. Raised an orphaned blue jay and an orphaned dove.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

How marvelous that you got to be so close to one of Jehovahs's most miraculous little creations.....

lol j/k j/k j/k!!!!!

Really tho, what a neat experience, and I'm glad it turned out well!!!

• ron rawson
    ron rawson

We have raised and released many baby and injured birds....whenever you're going to touch or hold a bird and then release it into the wild, find leaves from any green plant and crush them in your hands as if washing with soap, before you handle the bird. You need to mask the scent of humans as the release-ee may be rejected by his flock or mate if the human smell persists.

Also remember they are not mammals, so never feed them anything milk based. Usually vegetable or fruit baby food is OK, sometimes oatmeal will do too. Wet food, but no water....they can mis-swallow and drown quite easily. They will learn to drink as young feathered birds generally speaking.

• Simon
    Simon

They are beautiful little things. They have them nearer the mountains, towards Lethbridge and Waterton and we've sat on a deck in Invermere and watched them as well.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    what a nice story! I have a bubbling fountain in my back yard and all the birds love it, but especially the hummers, I find them fascinating.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

We have gorgeous irridescent green ones around. Kind of rare, but what a precious sight. They show up when my gladiolias bloom.

Once had a bat fly down the chimney into the house, but that was nowhere near as exciting I'm sure...

• Simon
    Simon

You can get special feeders to attract them (if you live in an area that they could be in).

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

If you're interested it is easy to make the nectar for the feeders. I boil 4 cups of water and mix in one cup of sugar and let it cool to room temperature. That batch will fill my feeders and last all week. Once they know there is food you'll have several of them buzzing around. They're beautiful and are one of my favorite things of summer

• smiddy
    smiddy

That would have been a lovely experience Oubliette , I should share my experience working in a Reptile park for a year sometime.

That video was also amazing , interacting with wildlife can be so exhilarating and calming.

smiddy

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Hummingbirds are so awesome! I wish we had them where I live. Makes me miss home where they are everywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit