A Hummingbird in My House

by Oubliette 20 Replies latest social current

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

We just had a hummingbird in our house! It flew in through an open door. I had been cleaning my back patio and left the screen open for a few moments when I was putting stuff away.

The hummer flew upstairs and into our bedroom. After I discovered where it was, I closed the doors to all the other rooms and tried to shoo it out with a broom. Trying to "herd" a hummer is worse than trying to "herd" cats or teenagers!

I finally had to wait for it to get so tired it passed out grasping a screen on a window. I thought it was dead. It's tiny little claws were still clinging to the screen. Gently as possible, I pried them loose from the screen.

I picked it up, cupping it in both hands, and took it outside. Although it was still warm, it didn't move at all in my hands. But when I opened my hands it flew away!!!

It was quite an experience to hold a hummingbird in my hands, if even for only a few seconds.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Close encounter of the hummimg bird kind. Lucky you (maybe not so much for him.)

Such sweet little birds.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Very cool ob! I keep feeders in frokt of my

house and catch glimpses of them from time to time but never had that experiance!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wow..Thats pretty cool..

I have lots of humming birds here but have never held one..

I`ve read that they can eat 14 times their body weight in a 12 hour period..

........................Image result for Hummingbird gif

• Heaven
    Heaven

Oh wow, Oubliette! Sounds like one of those awesome moments in life that give you goose bumps. And one you'll probably not forget.

I had a female ruby throated hummer land right beside me while I was sitting outside. She zoomed by me to sip on the marigolds in the garden bed next to the patio. Once she was done she decided to take a wee rest on the patio stones right next to my foot! It was so cool. I loved looking at her feathers and beak and teeny tiny feet. I don't make a lot of sudden movements so I guess she didn't mind I was there. She stayed there for quite some time too. I was rather surprised.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

You were so lucky to be able to hold one of life's most incredible creatures! You should invest in a Hummingbird feeder, they provide a lot of entertainment, and the little marvel gets nutrition! Below is a Youtube video that I found last year, and I love watching it every now and then. The happy look on the elderly Man's face is awesome as he feeds and talks to his little friend. I hope you like it too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqWzrPj2Wfs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I've had two similar experiences with birds.

One was a sparrow that I found on the floor of my workplace. I first thought it was a hummingbird but later was told it was a sparrow. I scooted it on a piece of thin cardboard and took to the desk of a coworker. Someone said that it must be cold laying on the desk so my coworker removed a beret that he was wearing and placed the birdie on it. I had to leave the area but later my coworker later told me that the bird recovered after he had fed it some birdseed that our company sold. It flew away well fed I presume. I never would have thought that it was starving.

The other was a bird that flew into my house because I had my screen door open. It was frantically trying to get out without realizing that the door to my bedroom was open. I turned the light out thinking that it would have been attracted to the light through my open door but it was still fluttering around. I then realized it must have been was afraid of my presence so I left my bedroom and it finally flew out through the door that it came in through. A good recommendation to those who experience the same would be not to use a broom but to leave the presence of an open door or maybe window preferably with sunlight.

• talesin
    talesin

What an awesome thing, to help that tiny, beautiful treasure! And hold it in your hands. :))

Birds will 'freeze' when they are panicked, and appear dead. Its talons were probably hanging onto that screen in a death grip - good job!

I have some feathered friends that I hand feed every day, they are delightful!

xx

VI - right! I've had to help one tenant who kept having a bird get into his basement apt. this winter (seeking warmth - we had a harsh winter). They will fly to the light, so if you make the room as dark as possible, with only the window or door open for light, they will follow that light to freedom. xx

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Let's review: Its a bird.
  • millie210
    millie210
    What a wonderful experience and beautifully told!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit