Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

by Amazing 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Sometime in late 1969 to 1970, the number one hit song "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum was interesting to me. Don Garloff, jr., the JW man who brought me into the religion lived next to Norman Greenbaum ... Don told me that Norman based part of his song about going to heaven to meet the "Spirit in the Sky" as a rebuttal to the JW belief system of living on earth forever. Norman Greenbaum at that time lived in the rural areas near Petaluma, California ... I was listening to the radio a while ago and heard this song again, and thought that this might be an interesting bit of trivia. ... How funny to look back on this now. At the time, I thought that the song was rude ... now, I see it as humor as well as serious art.

PS: It will be just my luck to have either Norman or Don pop up and not recall or even deny this ... but ths is what Don stated to me at the time.

Edited by - Amazing on 21 July 2002 22:34:7

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I love that song, just because my devout JW mother hates it. I even have it as a request to be played at my funeral. I hope she likes it!

April

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

My mom being anointed and all, I used to kid around with that song a lot. I still have the album by "Canned Heat" with that song on it.

Love that song. I would even get her to dance around (goofing off of course) singing along with it.

Ahhh memories...like the corners of my mind...

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Umm, Spirit in the Sky, loved that song! The music, don't know what the instrument was called, sounded like loose guitar strings. Anyway,one of my favorites.

Free

• alfie
    alfie

Interesting little tidbit. Although I've never wanted to go to heaven anytime,alive or dead,Spirit In the Sky has been a favourite number of mine ever since it's airing waaaaaay back when. I do enjoy these little trivialities you folks sometimes post.Thanks.

what's it all about

alfie

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

what's it all about

alfie

Do we have a Barbara Strisand fan in the house?

I remember when she sang the sond "My Man" in "Funny Girl"

Brought tears to my eyes.

btw, don't tell anyone I said that.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Amazing;

I also used to feel funny listening to that song when I was a dub. Then I reflected, why can't this song be speaking about the anointed ? Can't the old diaper laden beings enjoy music? Now I just turn up the volume and enjoy it for a while. I guess the influence of the WT will always be there in varying degrees.

HCM

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Yall are funny you don't have to agree with the lyrics to appreciate a good song. If that were true just exactly how many songs, even the sappy ones, would you then approve?

I love "Spirit in the Sky", I think it has one of the all-time best guitar riffs ever and I frequently blast it as I drive, including occasionally on the way to the Kingdom Hall!

-Eduardo

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I frequently blast it as I drive, including occasionally on the way to the Kingdom Hall!

Thats the spirit! LOL

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Hi Amazing.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, remember the song by Tommy James & the Shondels "Crystal Blue Persuasion" That was supposed to be about the one and only seventies "BLUE BOMBSHELL. The Troof That Leads To Eternal Life. HA HA HA

CRYSTAL BLUE PERSUASION

I look over yonder, what do I see?
    The sun is risin', most definately.
    A new day's comin', people are changin',
    Ain't it beautiful?
    Crystal Blue Persuasion

Better get ready, gonna see the light,
    Love, love is the answer, that's all right.
    So don't you give up now, so easy to find.
    Just look at your soul, open your mind.
    Crystal Blue Persuasion

Crystal Blue Persuasion, uh huh, it's a new vibration
    Crystal Blue Persuasion, Crystal Blue Persuasion

Maybe tomorrow, when he looks down,
    On every green field and every town,
    All of his children of every nation
    There'll be peace and good, brotherhood,
    Crystal Blue Persuasion, yeah!
    Crystal Blue Persuasion, uh huh.

Edited by - Dismembered on 22 July 2002 16:19:32

Share this