WHY DO JW'S USE MORE OLD TESTAMENT THAN NEW?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Every book that is published, every magazine written ,highlights the Hebrew Scriptures as opposed to the Greek.Do you think it's because most Christians stress Christ's words and JW'S need to be different?

• blondie
    blondie

What do you expect from Pharisees?

• Farkel
    Farkel

WHY DO JW'S USE MORE OLD TESTAMENT THAN NEW?

It has more gore. Dubs love gore.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

I thought it could be because nobody in their commentaries ever say that everything has a figurative meaning. And since Witnesses love to be different, they can apply any verse the way they want.

• rekless
    rekless

because there are over 600 laws stated in the old testament or Hebrew translation...and only the law of love in the Greek translation. dahhh

• JanH
    JanH

It is true that JWs focus on the OT more than most Christian denominations, but I think it is false that they use the OT more than the NT. Look at the the Watchtower Publications Index and see what scriptures they reference the most.

- Jan

• minimus
    minimus

JanH , I believe you are right. But,look at book studies....Daniel, ISAIAH 1 and 2,all the F.W. Franz books,Look at blood issues and 2 witness rule. Many WT. studies concentrate on pre- Christian writings.....at least it seems this way.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

The angry OT God looms large in Witness theology. Wheras most of the Christian denominations are focused upon the Newe dispensation and the Christ ransom. I think it fair to say that there is a lerger focus on God, (the father) than on Christ in the dub Church.As both those characters had their 2000 year run I think i might start up the church of the New (third) dispensation under the Holy Spirit.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

During the Russell era the Watch Tower put more emphasis on the New Testament. But when Rutherford took over he focused more on the Old Testament. Rutherford even got the name for his followers from the OT. Also the rathful Jehovah of the OT was a lot like Rutherford himself. As others have already mentioned the OT is full of rules and regulations, which the present Watch Tower management loves to use on the rank and file to keep them in line.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I think Athanasius hit it right on the head. Almost all of the current warchtower dogma came from old Rutherford "here come da judge". This is especially true of the controlling aspects of this religion.

Then his followers kept using harsher and harsher methods to make the r&f stick to these beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit