FAMILY ROOTS

by Satanus 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreeToBeMe
    FreeToBeMe

Hi Saint & others,

I too have revisited 'my roots', and as mentioned by LadyLee it was as a part of abuse recovery... for me a form of closure. Returning to these places as an adult, physically at least, allowed me to see them from a different perspective and therefore assisted emotional development. As a child I did what I had to do as a child, as an adult I was able to return and say 'no more'. It was cathartic to realise that the abusive environment I was once in had moved on, and therefore so could I. The memories I had of these places lost their power, for the fact is that I'd been keeping the memories alive, as I had nothing to compare them with.

I can't really explain it, but actually seeing that the houses I once lived in, the rooms I once slept & ate in, the cupboards and closets I was locked in, weren't as big as I once remembered them was, so powerful. A child's physical perception of people, places and situations is just so different to that of an adult. Sure I got flashbacks, but I was able to apply rational adult reasoning to these. I found a degree of peace, and have since been able to return to the vicinity of these areas without experiencing these flashbacks.(I say vicinity, because I have no further wish to intrude upon those that now live in the houses I once lived in. Incidentally, the understanding and compassion granted me by these house owners was diametrically opposed to the view promoted by the JWs of those 'in the world').

Curiously, I have also met up with former school associates, who for whatever reason acted out their own and their parent's prejudices. It was great!!! It seems that some of them had been carrying years of guilt for what they had done, and meeting up with a forgiving and understanding me proved to be a huge release for them. They said "Sorry", I said "Thank you." We did the Brit thing of shaking hands (Brit blokes ain't great huggers), had a laugh, and then got on with our lives.

This is so different from the attitude and behaviours of my parents and other JWs. They continue to maintain their self-righteousness and actually appear to resent me. Resent me??? Well, I ask you!! It's 23 years since I left!!! I've got to laugh, though really it is quite sad and tragic. However, that is the life that they choose to lead. Whether they are happy or sad with it, is no concern of mine.. live and let live. Incidentally, my parents could not understand how I maintained a joyful demeanour and an inner peace whilst I was fighting cancer, they thought this was God's judgement of me after 17 years (at the time) of being out of the Org. Just how sick is that?

I also remember my father saying, "I never thought that you were going to die before me." (Was he with Job in a former life??? lolol). I thought later "Dad, you never though you were going to die period." Mind you, even in this there is hope. He has followed JW doctrine since 1979 with reference to shunning me, but his comments give me an indication that it is all 'shoulders up' stuff, intellect... in his 'heart' he hasn't been able to consider me dead. Even for one of the most stalwart of JWs, the doctrine can't take away what is in the heart.

Hmmmmm, I gone on a bit, thanx for the posting saint

FreeToBeMe

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Freetobeme What an excellent description of going "home" is like. I so clearly recall seeing one place that I thought was so big and scary. When I saw it as an adult I was able to see it in totoally different eyes and the fear was gone. I haven't gone into any of the places but what generous people that they allowed you to enter their homes.

The one place I would have asked to go into had been torn down. That was very disappointing but life goes on.

What an experience too that people were able to say they were sorry. I haven't heard that yet but can only imagine what a healing experience that would be.

SS We each find recovery in many different ways. Many abuse survivors find that physically going back is a very empowering tool to recovery.

And as Viv stated if the memories were good, one can find connection, peace and grounding.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

LadyLee - I also moved a great deal due to my father being a salesman with Simmons Mattresses Company. I was born in Montreal, Quebec. It was there that I watched my brother, Craig, get dragged and run over by a streetcleaner whose driver was hung over. My brother is buried on Mont Royal. We moved to Calgary within a year after that happened for a year, and then to Nova Scotia. I don't feel as though I am from anywhere. Both of my parents are from a seaside town in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and my wonderful Grandparents lived there (my mom's parents). My mom now lives in the family home, just down the street from the ocean. It was the only place I had a bit of peace in an otherwise abusive childhood. I knew death at an early age, and while still young, my favorite aunts died, my grandparents - everyone but my father, who I would gladly give to have them back.

I travel to Montreal from time to time to visit my brother's grave. It's very peaceful there. I feel an attachment to Montreal because of him. He lives on in my heart. During one trip, we were driving in one of the areas in which we lived in (but I didn't consciously recognize) and we came to a cul-de-sac and it felt like my heart and the universe disolved. A horrible feeling. Then mom told me that is where Craig died. Something in me 'knew'. I don't visit THAT place - but where he is at rest. The other place I adore is where my mom is now, in the family home. So many good memories of loved ones long gone, but not forgotten. I ache to go there now. It is one of those places without industry, but one of the most beautiful places on earth (cabot trail). Since I didn't grow up a witness, my christmases there were amazing, with my cousin Jocelyn and I being two peas in a pod. We don't talk anymore, and I miss her.

I am always in envy of people who can sit and say "you remember so-and-so? he's related to...blah blah blah....?" That's community, where people knew people. I grew up isolated, and very alone.

Now I try to make my home where ever I'm at - but to visit THE family home, mom's place, definitely feels like going home because of my grandparents and memories of many aunts and cousins. (the ocean down the street doesn't hurt)

I'm babbling. I guess this struck a chord in me. Sorry. But thanks for listening.

Mimilly

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mimilly it would be so cool for us to meet in Montreal.

I'm so glad you have one place that is safe and has good memories with good people. That is so important to our recovery. It gives us a foundation to work with.

If you want to email where your brother is I will try to stop by and leave a flower for you. (((Mimilly)))

edited to add

I will be there next week

Edited by - Lady Lee on 21 July 2002 17:3:30

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I was born and grew up in Korea. I went back there to visit my relatives a couple of years ago.

Arghhhhhh!!!!!! It was July, and it was SO HOT!!! x-O After one week I was ready to come home - CA, U.S.A.

I love CA. I lived in Korea for 16 years, and I've been in CA for 17 years now. I think my idea of hometown has changed.

The SF Bay Area is my hometown now.

SS, I think it is a human nature that one wants to go back to his place of origin;maybe because of all the memories of past. But when I went back to mine, it wasn't the same. Now I've been converted to a different culture, I don't think I would want to go back. Maybe visiting once in a while will be o.k. For me I want to be where my family is. I live close to my parents. But one of my yournger brothers is living out of state. We are all hoping he would move back to the Bay Area soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit