Would you warn your neighbors if a child molester lived on your street?

by Stealth 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

No because it is up to the parents and where I live they have a sex offends list.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/faq.aspx?lang=ENGLISH#1a

1. I want to share with others the information I found on the Attorney General's Megan's Law Website. Does the law prohibit me in any way from sharing this information?
      A person may use the information disclosed on the Attorney General's Web site only to protect a person at risk. It is a crime to use the information disclosed on the Attorney General's Internet Web site to commit a misdemeanor or felony. Unless the information is used to protect a person at risk, it is also prohibited to use any information that is disclosed pursuant to this Internet Web site for a purpose relating to health insurance, insurance, loans, credit, employment, education, scholarships, fellowships, housing, accommodations, or benefits, privileges, or services provided by any business. Misuse of the information may make the user liable for money damages or an injunction against the misuse. Before using the information disclosed on this Web site, you may want to consult with an attorney or merely suggest to others that they view the Web site for themselves.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Whatever you do make sure it can't be used against you in court for slander or libel.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Although I don't know the laws in America. It certainly sound a better and none confrontational way to put a flyer in neighbour's letter boxes advising them to check the sex offenders register.
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

My question is, should I notify my neighbors about this pedo on our street?

If you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, NO.

If you are not one of Jehovah's witnesses, absolutely YES.

• MagicMItchJensen
    MagicMItchJensen
    Yes I would and I have time after time only to have a Jehovah Witness take all the warning materials down. There's a group that counts Field Service time taking down the signs people put up, I think the best course of action would be to get a big sign!
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm not really a neighborly type of guy, I don't even say hi or try to engage in a conversation with my neighbors. Basically I'm a live and let live type of guy that don't spend much time getting chummy with my neighbors.

But if I had a neighbor that I notice/seen his kids in a potential threat from a neighbor who was a pedophile then yes I would say something in that instance. And that is what the law provides for. But not some busy body do gooder that sends fliers out to the whole neighborhood warning everyone within say 4 or 5 block that so and so is on the sex offenders list.

1. I want to share with others the information I found on the Attorney General's Megan's Law Website. Does the law prohibit me in any way from sharing this information?
      A person may use the information disclosed on the Attorney General's Web site only to protect a person at risk. It is a crime to use the information disclosed on the Attorney General's Internet Web site to commit a misdemeanor or felony. Unless the information is used to protect a person at risk, it is also prohibited to use any information that is disclosed pursuant to this Internet Web site for a purpose relating to health insurance, insurance, loans, credit, employment, education, scholarships, fellowships, housing, accommodations, or benefits, privileges, or services provided by any business. Misuse of the information may make the user liable for money damages or an injunction against the misuse. Before using the information disclosed on this Web site, you may want to consult with an attorney or merely suggest to others that they view the Web site for themselves.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

If his name is on a public registered sex offender list and my neighbor has kids, then yeah.

I have kids; I'd sure want my neighbors to tip me off.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I don't consider myself a busybodies nor a do gooder but if I can save one family from going through what my family has.... I would.

There is a reason the sex offender list is public. Of course you shouldn't plaster someone's face or name but you could simple advise your neighbors to check the list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit