Did John Denver hate the Witnesses?

by writerpen 38 Replies latest jw friends

• thewiz
    thewiz

i posted on this before, search for my thread (i'm not doing the work), where i relate a story on smurfs, to teach a lesson on listening to gossip

i went to 4 JD concerts in my life, he never the national anthem thing.

i "DO" know he had a strong dislike for people who didn't vote (some public service announcement commerical on tv; which i seen and heard with mine own two ears & eyes).

BTW, what was the last thing JD said?

"ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LOL@WIZ

Thats sick.

The National Anthem Thing was made up and sprouted from something that happened 30 some years ago and it remarkable how many people want to HANG ON. People that weren't even BORN yet to boot.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Y'all are confusing John Denver and Don Ho. Ho pulled the please stand thing and then played the national anthem when there were District Conventions in town, and Carson called him on it when he was on the show.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard it was Don Ho too.

• myself
    myself

Another JD JW UL: that JD's first wife Annie has become a JW and that was his reason for

hating JW's. That it ruined his relationship with her. Anyone else hear this?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I believe John Denver has been pretty well chalked up as another urban legend. But, I have to wonder about Kevin Costner with his film "A Perfect World." He's an escaped killer who is holding a small JW boy (the film makes sure you know he is a JW), and lets the little boy have all sorts of fun, like Halloween, while holding him and evading the law (Clint Eastwood).

I can't say the implied message there is an Urban Legend.

Lew W

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I knew dub`s who would`t go to see Don Ho because of that rumour.I saw him in Hawaii in a small club.He and his crew put on a good show,but he was a terrible jokester.He did things that just cracked himself up,I have no doubt the people he played jokes on were embarrased,but he still made them laugh.I don`t think most dubs would take his humour that well...OUTLAW

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Back in 1982 when I attended the elders' Kingdom Ministry school in Napa, California one of the elders told us that when he attended a District Convention in Hawaii, he and a group of his JW cronies visited Don Ho's club after the convention one evening. Some of the group had their badges on. Ho noticed this when he got up to perform. So Ho says: "I see we have some JWs here tonight. How many of you are JWS?" The elder said that they raised their hands acknowledging their religious preference. Then Ho says: "Then this next number is especially for you." Then Ho plays the National Anthem. So the elder and his friends had to sit there while everyone else stood up. The elder was real pissed at Ho for that. But this so-called Christian elder was real vindictive, because next he said that he had heard that Ho is suffering from cancer and that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Athanasius

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'd heard the John Denver story, but the spin I heard on the story is that he was the one who insisted on placing a scene in the movie "Oh God" wherein an unidentified man (presumably a Witness) tries again and again to read a scripture to John Denver's character. The scene makes the Witness character look rather goofy and fanatical. Also, what I heard about Charlton Heston is that he studied briefly with a Witness and turned the Witness away from "the truth" over the issue of the Trinity. Supposedly he got ahold of some scholar who sat in on the study and refuted the Society's teaching and the Witness was so impressed, they dropped out. Of course, it's all probably a bunch of hooey, but it's still interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit