Did John Denver hate the Witnesses?

by writerpen 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Yup, that's right. Jah's loving spirit at work. He'll let you be raped and murdered, but if you try and have your fortune read, he'll stop that right cold.

A funny and true point!

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is what really happened to John Denver, according to Monty Python:

http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/monty/denver_strangle.wav

Englishman.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Yes little Johnny Denver Hated witness's. He admitted it on the Johnny Carson Show one night when Johnny Carson was on one of his many nights off.

He said he wished all JWs would be rounded up and put on a island somewhere out in the Pacific he was tired of sharing his country with them so and so's.

Johnny Carson invited little Johnny Denver back to the show and asked him to repeat what he said. Then Johnny Carson asked Little Johnny Denver to leave the show in front of millions of viewers.

This was not an urban ledgend.

The reason he did that was because when Johnny Carson was still running the Tonight Show 50% or more of his staff were JWs

Not only that but Bob Hope also had a soft spot for JWs

I remember when that happened my dad had a John Denver album. He got up went to the stereo pulled out the album and threw it in the trash.He was really pissed to. I don't know if he was more upset over what JD said or that he really liked that album.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 19 July 2002 10:29:14

• bad_associashun
    bad_associashun

One of the sister's cousins attended JD's concert- said he asked all JWs to stand, played the national anthem, then asked to leave. Just asked them, not forced them.

• Xander
    Xander
    he asked all JWs to stand, played the national anthem, then asked to leave

That IS an urban legend, just found the probable source of it:

And then a very good friend told us that JD did not dislike JWs. He said that after a JW district convention in Denver, CO, a JD concert was scheduled for that evening. The concert had nothing to do with the convention earlier that day. As the stage crew began to setup things, curious Jehovah's Witnesses lingered after the convention (I too would linger and investigate whether I could purchase tickets).
    Apparently JD noticed the problem of having people without tickets not leaving the arena and on mike, asked 'all Jehovah's Witnesses to vacate their seats and leave the facility'. Something to the effect of, 'Are there any JWs in the audience? Would you please stand? Now would you please leave?'

And, from USENET:

Subject: Re: Does John really hate....
    Newsgroups: alt.fan.john-denver

View this article only
    Date: 1996/11/22
    I remember John on a "Tonight Show." He sang an impressive redition of "It's About Time." There was nothing out of line on this show!!!

Message 4 in thread
    Subject: Re: Does John really hate....
    Newsgroups: alt.fan.john-denver
    View this article only
    Date: 1996/12/15
    I agree, that was the finest rendition that I've ever heard. Afterward, the audience gave him a STANDING ovation for about two minutes.
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LMAO!

Maggie Newman < [email protected]> wrote:
    >>josh hull < [email protected]> writes:
    >>

>>>john denver is on the johnny carson show.. johnny carson asks him, is it
    >>>true you kick out all jw's at your concert? john denver replies, yup.
    >>>johnny says, well my grandmother is a witness, i think you're horrible
    >>>and boots him off the show.

>
    >It's an interesting UL on many levels. We don't often get to hear these
    >closed-community stories that persist in somewhat isolated groups like
    >the JWs. The story has elements from the "evil performer" genre (Marilyn
    >Manson asks for dead puppies before a concert) and the "validation by
    >talk show host" that has become so popular nowadays.

The most interesting part to me is its datedness. Most of the "validation
    by talk show host" stories that we hear have been updated to reflect current
    personalities -- e.g., P&G/Donahue becomes Liz Claiborne/Oprah becomes Tommy
    Hilfiger/Jerry Springer. But here's this story still being told about John
    Denver and Johnny Carson, of all people. And it didn't just turn up on AFU
    after 20 years in total limbo--I did a web search and found this debunking
    from 1997, which portrays the John Denver aspect, at least, as a common rumor
    within the JW community:

http://www.witnesses.about.com/religion/witnesses/library/weekly/aa102797.htm

You could argue that it hasn't been updated because of the JWs' isolation
    from pop culture, but in that case why would the story have gained currency
    in the first place? There are logic gaps either way. In any case, a
    comeuppance story like this loses a lot of its juice when the talk show host
    is long-since retired and the antihero guest is dead.

Emily "Death: the real comeuppance" Kelly
    --
    Emily Harrison Kelly"This group is probably one of the best (top ten!)
    [email protected]in the world when it comes to conciousness..."
    --einst speaking about AFU
    For the AFU FAQ: http://www.urbanlegends.com/afu.faq/

******************************************************************************************************

This is hysterical. I haven't even heard these.

What really cracks me up is all of these so-called experts about it are probably

And no doubt not even old enough to remember back that far since they only traced

it back to 1997. LMAO!

What has happened is the same thing that happens to and with gossip historiclly.

It just grew and grew and grew.

These stories these people are talking about are way out in left field with regards to what actually happened.

Not only that but it happened in the late 60's or the very first part of the 70's. not sure.

But it actually did happen just not the way these idiots think it happened. LMAO! ROTF!

Johnny Carson is still alive. Just write him a letter and ASK....duh.........

Edited by - plmkrzy on 19 July 2002 11:30:11

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I remember hearing stories as a kid that John Denver would ask all the Witnesses present at his concerts to stand. And, then after they stood, he would play the National Anthem.

I heard that about John Denver, but at other times, I also heard the same story about Don Ho and Frank Sinatra.

Definitely urban legend material, IMHO.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Well if your hearing the same rumors Xander is hearing then they are urban ledgend for sure.

It's amazing how the cleaning department and various other staff members

(some of which were friends of my parents)

turned into Johnny's grandmother. and it only took 20 years. WOW..LMAO! ALL DAY!!

I got to e-mail my dad about this and find out if he has heard the news.

and to think he was friends with Johnny's grandmother all these years and didn't know it. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Well, my ambition was always to go to a John Denver concert and shout out, "Is John Denver here?"....Will he please leave..."...lol He once recorded a song that a friend of mine had written and managed to turn it from Robert Frost to Hallmark, then suggested to him that he had vastly improved it....lol

HS

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I remember all the talk about John Denver and the Johnny Carson story...don't know if it's true or not...but I will date myself now. How many of you remember a similar story about Merv Griffin when he had his old daytime talk show. According to the story, he hated Dubs but one day he had Charleton Heston on his show and remarked about how he didn't like Dubs. Supposedly Heston claimed his cleaning lady was one and he thought she was great and walked off the show. Anyone old enough to remember that one?

-BONEZZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit