Beware of this malware!

by The Searcher 21 Replies latest jw friends

• MarkSutter
    MarkSutter
    virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of a particular computer system. When you run a VM, it creates a virtual computer inside your computer that is separate from the computer itself. If the VM gets infected the main operating system does not.
  • talesin
    talesin

majorgeeks.com will walk you through any problem - safe and trusted site for many years, set up by experts to help all who can follow instructions.

go to their malware removal section, follow the steps for your software, and start a thread.

xx

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Thanks Talesin, I'll try that.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Thanks too Violias - I'll try everything!
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Violias

Simon's obviously done a runner.

VM is Virtual Machine.

Just Google it.

• TD
    TD

Time to format & reinstall everything, because I can't get it eradicated by other methods. See you all on the other side!

That's killing a fly with a shotgun....

Have you tried using system restore to roll the system back to a point before it was infected?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Hi TD, you're on my wavelength - that was the very first thing I tried, having used that method for a friend's PC virus several years ago. However, for some reason the restore points apparently didn't go back far enough, so the attempt failed.

I'm using my laptop just now, while the local company who sold me the PC restores it today for £15 - so I'm happy with that!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

What I have done in the past with other infections is first to read about the thread online and see if it is possible to repair using some special anti malware program from Norton or Microsoft, sometimes you need to make manual changes to the registry and also manually remove the thread following steps. I have never been successful restoring the computer to a previous restore point. If all fails then you know what to do but if you are running xp and do not have the update disks, you are stuck. I had a problem like that in one of my computers in the past, I could not afford to reinstall everything because I had some special software and databases. I tried everything,-still runs like a snail to this day. Malwarebytes did not do anything special.

The best way I found, if you can afford, is to reformat the HD and reinstall everything (but only if all else fails,)make sure you have antivirus running.before to go online again, . My Norton is working great for me for years now. Also Microsoft has programs that you can download to repair, or support services that cost an arm and a leg.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of a particular computer system. When you run a VM, it creates a virtual computer inside your computer that is separate from the computer itself. If the VM gets infected the main operating system does not.

Great Info! Thanks!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    I'll install a VM as well!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit