Beware of this malware!

by The Searcher 21 Replies latest jw friends

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I foolishly downloaded an innocent looking pool game, and now I'm pretty certain this is how my P.C. has been infected by a malware program called pixel.mathtag - I won't complete the full web address, just in case!

My internet banking account was deleted, (I assume it was the malware's doing!) and I presume that the motive was to get me to re-apply and register new password etc., thereby enabling the phishing to succeed.

Time to format & reinstall everything, because I can't get it eradicated by other methods. See you all on the other side!

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

TS

I've just Googled it and there's a whole heap of web sites that tell you how to get rid of it. Are you saying that none of the methods work?

• Simon
    Simon

It's a strange thing to warn of a particular malware - does anyone chose to allow some? "oh, it's OK, it's mild - I'll let this one go".

All malware needs to be avoided and getting things from a download sucks unless it's a pirated game in which case - well, it's the price you pay. You always have to pay somehow (better to pay a legit company like Steam).

If you are downloading and installing unknown software then using a VM is a great way to protect against harm. If anything happens to the VM you can just roll it back to a good state or blow it away entirely.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Thanks for the advice Simon. It was a totally innocuous looking little arcade game, hence the reason I downloaded it. I've tried 2 or 3 remedies, but it's not budging for me.

Lesson learned.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Pool game? Riiiiight. Wouldn't be one of those nekkid, foaming jacuzzi pools would it Searcher?

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN
    I have installed Malwarebytes - premium edition - and it works a bomb for keeping me free. The free version is very effective - I used it for more than 3 years. - I spend a lot of time on-line - its necessary for the work I do.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Tried malwarebytes, AFRiKANMAN - didn't deal with it.

Never tried any like that Nicolaou - thankfully, I never needed to.

• violias
    violias

I watched a movie on Rainerland, one of the free streaming TV, etc sites. Only they want your email address and credit card first and I did not want to do that so I used a link someone on Facebook used and got to watch it with no registration. Then I wanted to watch another movie and this time it downloaded a bunch of drivers and things from Slimware and all kinds od PUP's. It took Malwarebytes Pro 2 days to find it and get it off my computer. Computer is still acting wonky. Nothing is free, you pay.

go to Bleeping computer and try combo fix and other stand alone maleware fixes.

• violias
    violias

here is a link to bleeping computer . If you scroll down you will see several programs, Adw cleaner is good, and so is combo fix and when you click on each of them they will lead you to other programs. I have used these programs many times with no harm but read before you download.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

• violias
    violias
    What is VM, Simon?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit