All Christians Should Accept EVOLUTION

by FusionTheism 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

How do we know Jesus or the disciples viewed Adam as a literal person who actually existed?

Okay, so now we have an all-allegory Bible and a Jesus who didn't redeem humanity from an original sin, but just pointed out that we can all do better, and everything this Jesus guy is reported to have said could be parable, including Adam, Eve, the flood.

Well, it sounds like Christianity could be morphed into a form of Buddhism and we could replace the Bible with the writings of Deepak Chopra.

I mean, Deepak even says that Darwin over-simplifies evolution and that the observer (you and me) plays a part in how it all came about. Basically, we can replace the Bible with a bunch of pseudo-science and pseudo-philosophy and pseudo-psychology.

You know, as much as I disagree with that, I don't bother people who think that way- that the universe is based on what the mind of the observer wants it to be. They are very content people. If that's your "Christianity" then great.

• cofty
    cofty
    why was it Christians who abolished slavery and segregation instead of atheists?

Christianity fought hard to retain both.

Slavery is positively promoted in the bible. Those who argued against it were on the wrong side of scripture.

Christianity is always playing catch-up with progress in secular morality and then claiming credit in retrospect.

Dolt - Do you really have to use phrases like "christard"?

• talesin
    talesin

I do not believe evolution is the "driving force responsible for all the beauty, majesty and genetic order around us".

That's quite a broad statement, Frank.

There's a lot of beauty in this world, and I feel no need to credit a nameless, formless, construct of people who are unhappy and seeking a 'reason to live' for said beauty.

Actually, there is a lot of genetic DIS-order. It's not all perfect chromosomes. What about the people who are genetically programmed to give their children cystic fibrosis, or other diseases that are specifically genetic?

There is much beauty in nature, and amazing links between all species of flora and fauna.

If you will, look at pictures of the brain, the tree of life, and the Amazon River delta... you will see that nature repeats the same patterns. It's so obvious to *me*, that on this little blue planet, third from the sun, we all grew up together. I feel no need to seek a reason 'why', by means of an omnipotent and capricious overlord.

It's enough to know that I live on this amazing globe, and that working in harmony with Mother Earth (for lack of a better term) and all other species, would make a better future for humanity.

xx :sunglasses:

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cofty

Dolt - Do you really have to use phrases like "christard"?

I'll do a post on why I use such terms.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

FusionTheism - "It is time for Christians to accept evolution, in my opinion."

I agree. Most do, in fact.

It should be done for the right reasons, though (i.e. not ideological/theological, in my opinion).

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    I do not believe evolution is the "driving force responsible for all the beauty, majesty and genetic order around us".

You have chosen the wrong words. It's not a matter of belief, you either accept it or you do not.

Suggested reading,

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne

Undeniable by Bill Nye

• Splash
    Splash

I found a pretty simple resource that describes the consequences of evolution.

I enjoyed it anyway.

http://www.evolutionevidence.org/evidence/remnants/

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Rejection of facts and plain evidence is totally necessary for Christian believers of the more fundamentalist kind, those who see the frailty of such a position retreat into the "it's a metaphor" mode, and into pushing the Creator god further and further back in time.

The basic problem with the fundie and literalist kind of believers is that they live in a different "reality" to us.

It is quite fascinating that in nearly all other walks of life they will use evidence based reasoning, but not in religious belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit