What's Wrong With Having Hope?

by DakotaRed 19 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

A bit of clarification;

When I say hope, I am addressing the hope of better things for all, not hope of harm to come to others. Unrealistic expectations are not hope to me. Maybe wishful thinking, but not hope.

I am talking about hope of a better life, hope that good things happen. In Vietnam, I also hoped to make it through the night on guard duty without attacks. Of course, it didn't happen, but when it did, I survived, obviously. Still, that hope kept me going, the hope that one day, it would be over and I could get the hell out of there.

At one time, I was quite the JW apologist. Thinking back, I was trying to defend the undefendable, trying to convince myself it was right. I was praying for the truth to be shown me and hoping for an answer. When the answers came, I ignored them for a long time. Yet, I still had the hope of truthful answers. I just needed to open my eyes and see them.

As Dutchie posted, sooner or later, reality has to set in and you need to accept it. You can resign yourself to facts, but need you just give up? Still, even after resigning yourself to the inevitable, what harm is their in hoping for a peaceful end? What harm would there be in hoping for things to be better in the world one day? Couldn't hope in the resurrection or going off the heaven make your final days more at ease? Would it really matter if neither were true? I don't think so.

Edited to add; Heaven, yes, Dakotas are great little trucks. Of course, I cheat. I work for a Dodge dealer as technician, so I take care of it myself. Since new, no one has touched it but me, except for last December when some woman ran a red light and T-boned me in the passenger door. But, I knew the owner of the body shop and and made sure repairs were done properly. Do you and your husband have a nick name for yours? Mine is Lil Red.

Lew W

Edited by - DakotaRed on 18 July 2002 2:2:46

Edited by - DakotaRed on 18 July 2002 2:7:5

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

YoursChelbie, thank you, that was very kind. If you are in the Northwest, I am planning on attending the Apostafest Northwest August 3.

Lew W

• Prisca
    Prisca

Excellent post, RD, with some great questions.

I do agree that it is unfortunate when someone expresses their hope based on their personal beliefs, and someone attacks or challenges them.

I have the opinion that if someone has a belief of some religious nature, then it is not up to me to challenge their beliefs if I disagree with them. Particularly if their belief doesn't hurt themself, or anyone else eg. I have a problem with suicide bombers, but I don't have a problem with people who believe in a Paradise Earth. Unless people who believe in a Paradise Earth become suicide bombers.

Quite frankly, I have spent 30 years of my life trying to persuade others to accept and join me in my beliefs. I am now taking a very long break from that. Very very long.

Hope is a quality that all humans need to have. Without it, we become very cynical, and bitter. I've found that I am an eternal optimist - no matter what goes wrong, there is always something inside me that inspires me to have hope. Hope that something will come along and make things right. Hope that something I do will make a difference. Hope that my life and the life of others will improve.

And I hope I will never lose that hope.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Dakopta Red..... hope is wonderful, the essence of optimism, the `anchor for the soul""

I love hope... I love linguine with clams too...... but I ain't gonna pay $1,000 a plate for it! Catch my drift?

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Thoughtful topic.......

I think that "hope" is a negative thing when people use it as an armchair rather than a beacon, and my opinion is that JW's use "hope" as an armchair.

Hoping that God will wipe every tear, and restore the earth, but doing nothing to achieve that goal. Its like hoping one will get a job, but never applying for any jobs........

Just my 2p worth

• Sirona
    Sirona

Dakota,

Both Hope and Faith are good things, IMO. Hope can be just a form positive thinking, I think. I hope I live a long and happy life, so I work toward that.

Fe203girl:

Good point. That sort of hope is counterproductive since it leaves the person with no responsibility.

Sirona

• Solace
    Solace

I love this thread, its going so well.

Dakota,

A nickname for our Dakota? Well, I guess when I talk about it, I call it, "the truck" but I refer to our car as "the car" so I dont think its feelings are hurt. My husband seems to think its "his truck" and "my car". Im not sure why, since my name is on both titles. I sometimes have to remind him of this in order to drive it.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

LOL, Heaven. Never come between a man and HIS truck We don't mind if you ladies have partial ownership, especially if it helps get the financing through. We may even allow you sit behind the steering wheel occassionaly. But, the truck is ours

Actually, where I work about half the owners that come in are women. They are nearly as finicky about them as us guys are.

Lew W

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

DR...is that Doctor?

Great post, sir.

Of course hope is a wonderful state of mind to have. No reasonable person would dispute that because as one poster stated it gives some humans cause for optimism. On the other hand some would have a type of hope that leads to expecting handouts or a "woe is me" attitude where they rely on pity from others to get by instead of taking postive action motivated by hope.

Your kind of hope is wonderful, DK....the other is deadly!

GD

• Lieu
    Lieu

Hope is a wonderful thing!!!...A lesson from Dorothy (WizOfOz) in her hope to get back home. She didn't just wait around with her hope; she put that hope into action and made personal effort to achieve her hope.

MHO is that we have to work with our hope....or work towards gaining our hopes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit