What's Wrong With Having Hope?

by DakotaRed 19 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I have noticed for some time now, that when anyone mentions having hope in something said by the Bible, some come forth and start asking pointed questions designed to denigrate that hope. If one says they hope there is a God, someone else will come on ask how could that be because of all the ills in the world.

If it is said that one hopes the earth will be restored by God, another will come on and start asking what about Lions being vegetarians, and eating birds and mosquitoes and such. Which brings me to ask, what is wrong with having hope?

Before I go on, let me state that having hope doesnt necessarily mean you think it will happen, just you hope it does. Maybe just a wish for something better.

Having hope has gotten me through some pretty rough times. Thirty odd years ago, I hoped every day that I would survive and get back to the US in one piece. I wasnt always sure it would happen, but I clung to that hope and eventually, got back. If I hadnt gotten back in one piece, so what? Nothing is changed, but that hope kept me going.

As my children grew and became adults, I hoped they wouldnt be kidnapped or die of SIDs. Now, I hope the same for my grandchildren. I kept hoping my children would grow up and become decent people and lead good lives. They are and neither has fallen prey to the Watchtower or any other religious fanatic group.

If I am wrong in hoping God to restore things, so what? I will die one day and go off to rot in the ground. Nothing has changed and the world goes on. But, while alive, I have hope in something better ahead to cling to.

Sometimes, when things are dark and dismal, hope helps keep your spirits up and gets you through to the next day. Sometimes, it gives one the needed courage to keep going when all else has failed. It costs nothing and is easily attainable. You dont even have to believe in God or go to Church to have hope in something better.

I dont know, maybe I just havent gotten cynical enough for some. But, I still have my hope and probably always will. If that threatens some, then maybe they should learn to deal with it!

Lew W

• larc
    larc

Dakota Red, I thought about you today when my wife and I left a restaurant and a red dakata drove past us on the way to our car. At any rate, I liked your essay, and I think hope it a built in thing thing. If we didn't have it, we would die as a species..... Well, I thought I had more to say, but I don't. I am tired and I am going to bed, but thanks for the subject.

• RR
    RR

Hi Lew,

To answer your question. There is nothing wrong with hope, hope and faith go together,

Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who hope in the Lord. Ps 31:24

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

"As water wears away stones, And as torrents wash away the soil of the earth; So You destroy the hope of man." Job 14:19
  • Gedanken
    Gedanken

Dakota,

In itself there's nothing wrong with hope - it's a very human feeling. However, it can lead to problems; e.g., someone could quit their job and become a gambler in the hope of making a killing, or join a nutcase religion that fosters unrealistic expectations that are couched as being "hope." Also, please bear in bind that if one expresses one's hopes on a forum such as this, then many will disagree as well as agree, for discussion is the point of a forum. Presumably, if one felt 100% confident in one's hope(s) then there would be no need to discuss it or them in a forum, unless one was trying to get others to subscribe to that hope. It's one thing to hope that nothing bad happens in the sense of not wanting bad to happen, quite another to hope that stupid or irrational actions or beliefs will not have deleterious or unexepected effects somewhere down the line.

So all in all it's a complex subject - also, if my "hope" happens to be that there is no God, no driving force at all, and I were to express that here, then would, or should, that go uncontested?

I don't think it's cynical to have spirited discussions about this topic - after all if our beliefs are robust then they can stand discussion, and if our hopes, however whimsical, or not, are useful emotionally then equally they can withstand discussion. Such hopes reflect intrinsic parts of our own personalities and while others amy argue with them, they are what they are.....

Hope that makes sense :-)

Gedankdn

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Dakota, when reading your post I was reminded that in the preface to his last book, George Burns wrote that he no longer expected to live an active public life. "I'm still an optimist. But I'm not stupid. That nurse isn't watching me all day to see if my toupee is on straight."*

Burns had decided to accept the fact that his life was declining rather than fight it. A mature step in choosing to live with reality, we might say.

George Burns was 100 years old when he wrote these words. For years he had been an icon of optimism, challenging elderly people not to limit themselves, and speaking often of his burning determination to reach 100. His positive spirit clearly worked for him. He continued to perform stand-up comedy to fans that loved him into his late 90s.

Burns' example brings us to the heart of one of the most challenging questions we face in life. When should we continue to fight--to hold on to the best of life as we know it, and to improve situations in our life--and when is it presumptuous to do so? When is HOPE our best response to challenges, and when is acceptance the wiser course?

Life often makes this question difficult for us.

I also read about a 98-year-old man who had cancer surgery. Following the operation, he was no longer able to walk. His HMO claimed he was too old to benefit from rehabilitation and should move to a nursing home. He insisted, however, that because he had walked into the hospital, he ought to be able to walk out. In the end, he prevailed, he responded well to physical therapy and his crowning moment of vindication came when he danced with is doctor at his 100th birthday celebration.

He had hope that he could walk and so he did.

So, as you said in your post, hope can be a powerful thing.

Beyond this, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

jjrizo: thank you for the kind reply. No matter what others say, I still have hope

Gedanken: Expressing hope for better things doesn't need to open one up for "spirited discussions." Saying the will happen, obviously, would.

RR: You have aways been a great guy, even when I attacked you when a JW apologist. Hope you accept my apologies for that.

Larc: here is my namesake, my Red Dakota

Dutchie: What can I say? You are a real sweetheart. Like the 98 year old man in your reply, I refuse to throw in the towel.

Lew W

Edited by - DakotaRed on 18 July 2002 0:6:49

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

I tend to agree with you Lew, that having hope, like having a dream, is usually an uplifting thing. but the riddle for me is, is any hope, like false hope, better than no hope?

in the case of "hope that your married lover is going to leave his/her spouse." I think this hope is most likely an unhealthy one, but who's to say.

in the case of "hope that you have two years to live when the doctor knows it's 6 months tops." this is a tough one, but I may prefer this false hope to the truth.

in the case that "you should follow, for a lifetime, a hope with no deadline." I believe in letting go of certain hopes, but I know people that would argue that any hope is better than no hope.

• Solace
    Solace

Call me old fashioned, I also have hope.

Dakota your truck is so pretty. We have a black Dakota sport extended cab and we love it.

Ged, I understand what you mean and I do think there is a big difference between simply having hope and faith and losing all common sense and taking risks based on fantasy etc.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bleep started a topic on hope, too, here. That topic has been pretty hot, partly because of me. If hope has been prepackaged as an all-or-nothing deal, Hope or Die, I can understand how some XJW's would want to turn away from it.

"Look, I lost hope for a while, and I didn't die!"

Just like the commandment since Jehovah is the "happy God" so be happy or else!

"Gee, sometimes I have blue days. Better not admit to it, though! They be so unhappy with me."

Or, Jehovah does not give you more burden than you can bear. So why are you complaining about your heavy burden?

"Gee, maybe the burden being laid on me is not from Jehovah? Hmmmm."

Oh, the pressure! To treat these feelings as commandments!

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Hi DakodaRed,

I think you are a real gentleman and I sincerely HOPE that I will have the pleasure of meeting

you someday.

YoursChelbie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit