Why do Jws use id badges at assemblys?

by haujobbz 19 Replies latest jw friends

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

I have wondered why jws wear" id badges" at assemblys and not on the preaching work or at the hall,i know of someone who was stopped by an attendant because he wasnt wearing a badge.Is it something to do with showing off our religious belief to outsiders, i must be honest i use to take mine off when leaving the assemblys but i noticed many wearing theres even when going home on the bus or walking home "i knew of 1 who wore his to bed", mormons wear id cards on their preaching work so do you think jws should.Maybe due to the paedophile scandal jws may have to wear id badges especially paedophiles.

• minimus
    minimus

iT'S A BADGE OF HONOR

• Matty
    Matty

Badge of honour?! Sheesh! Well, I think they are used pretty much for the same reasons they are used for business conferences.

(1) Publicity - Supposed to give a visible "witness" outside the grounds.

(2) Security - Cards are only distributed in the congregations to publishers, not at the assembly. People can be confirmed as being in the congregation the card states they are in if necessary.

(3) Identity - Simply being able to say hello to someone and use their name. So no worries about forgetting peoples name and where they are from.

• bad_associashun
    bad_associashun

because the Society tells them to, and the blind-faith-we-have-no-common-sense-or-real-love-among-us believers only do what the Society tells them to do.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It's both a means of advertising the convention to outsiders - hence the admonition to wear the badge at all times while attending the assembly - and a means of identifying who is a JW and who is not while on the grounds.Remember, the badges can only be obtained in the congregations, not at the conventions, so the elders can control who gets them. There's nothing formal, as far as I know, but persons without badges are often regarded more suspiciously than those with. I had experienced it myself at a few assemblies when, for one reason or another, I wasn't wearing my badge.

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

Badge of honour very true,i wonder if the higher ranks have gold stars on their badges the more stars the higher the privilges a bit like macdonalds,i suppose they are just going by the bible you know making a display of there righteousness which i sure jesus would commend

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    i wonder if the higher ranks have gold stars on their badges

No, but they often have ribbons or tags hanging from their badges that say "Administration".

• Francois
    Francois

So your bad behavior can be reported to the proper authorities later and they can come around for a shepherding call right in the middle of dinner without calling ahead. That's why.

F

• Xander
    Xander

In the US they got a blue card that was placed behind the badge that has about an inch (half inch?) portruding from the bottom on which was written in white letters 'attendant'.

Why have them?

For reasons above - to 'give a witness' and to know who if the attendees regularly attend the meetings or not (if not, they won't have the badge).

• Englishman
    Englishman

So why doesn't someone paste up a pic of a badge that we can print out and then fill in the details for ourselves?

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit