Resurrection - cell phone edition

by Simon 13 Replies latest social family

• Simon
    Simon

I have an oldish phone - a Samsung Galaxy S3. I don't feel the need for anything faster or better because I don't use it a ton. I hardly ever call anyone or have anyone call me and it's mostly used for emergency remote access to the forum, to play the odd game and to text the kids to let them know I'm picking them up or they want to be picked up from somewhere (maybe I should sign up as an Uber driver? Does everyone become a taxi driver for their kids?).

Of course it has started showing it's age and after 3 years the battery didn't last so well and it would be a bit sluggish sometimes and get very hot.

That was until I updated it !

No, not with any Over The Air updates that Samsung / Rogers provide because they stopped providing them (I guess they would rather sell you a new phone). Instead I put a custom ROM on it (CyanogenMod 12.x based on Android 5.1.1). Very easy if you follow the instructions. So does it make a difference?

Holy crap, it's like getting a new phone!

All the latest Android UI slickness and it works better than it ever did. Before it would struggle to last a day and I was always turning off WiFi or GPS to save the battery. I've just had it run for 3 days with everything enabled plus it doesn't get hot anymore.

One thing that made a huge difference is removing things like Facebook which is an incredible battery killer. So many apps now are either badly written and / or want to keep themselves running and notifying you of things all the time. Instead Ive stuck to Google / MS provided apps and just a couple of essential games.

I can also change the CPU clock speed now to decide if I want better performance or have a very long battery life.

I've also put the same thing on an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and that too is now faster and slicker than it was when it was brand new. Obviously Android is improving and they put a lot of effort into making things smoother.

So, if you have an old phone or tablet I can definitely recommend trying out a custom ROM instead of shelling out more money for an upgrade, especially if you are on 4.x or older.

This is a good place to start:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

(I found the latest build on a device-specific site, not on the cyanogenmod site)

• Heaven
    Heaven

Thank you for posting this Simon. I have the same phone and do not feel the need for anything newer (read more expensive).

I signed up with a plan that includes only voice and texting (no data). So far it's doing ok. I don't use my phone for a lot right now. I assume I will need data at some point but I'm good for now.

I will keep your handy tip in mind should I see a need to get this 'ancient' phone to run better.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Heaven

'ancient' phone to run better.

Ancient phone?

I have a Samsung E800 which, the guy at EE told me on Sunday, is 10 years old and it still has it's original battery and it still works fine.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Does everyone become a taxi driver for their kids?).....Simon

LOL@Simon!!..

Yes!..

The other thing they don`t tell you,in the instruction book you don`t get is..

They`re your kids for life!!..

• Heaven
    Heaven

Doltologist said: Ancient phone?

I have a Samsung E800 which, the guy at EE told me on Sunday, is 10 years old and it still has it's original battery and it still works fine.

Dolty, that is very cool... glad it is working well for you. :0)

My personal laptop at home is 10 years old as well and working just fine.

But Dolty, it seems in the smartphone world, 1 year is ancient, 10 is like the Bronze Age. ;0) This is how they keep making money quickly. There are many who love getting the latest and greatest gadget. Just check out the people who line up for hours for the new iphone. You will never see me in that line.

I, personally, do not buy into the 'ancient' idea. I say run it as long as it will. Kinda like how I keep my cars.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I'm happy with my iPhone5.
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Heaven

A long time ago, I learned that people only use 20% or fewer functions of any system.

80% are bells and whistles that a) aren't necessary and b) you don't use and wouldn't use anyway.

I worked in IT all of my life. Systems don't run any faster because all we do is add more functionality which isn't required in most cases.

I ain't spendin' a penny buying something that a) I don't need and b) I wouldn't use even if I had it.

I'm with you kid.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Vidiot

I'm happy with my iPhone5.

Bloody show off (chuckles).

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm still using my old S2 which reached the end of its upgrade path at Android 4.1.2.

I'd love to install a custom ROM but I'm such a chicken!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Thanks for sharing this Simon! I also have the same phone and I really like the phone. Actually it is more than I need. I just bought it because I had an older Samsung Centura I got from Tracfone where I just paid for the minutes I used and it tripled the minutes, txt and data and it worked for me as me paying for the services like that was dirt cheap and all I needed until the phone wore out and kept freezing up so I decided to get an updated phone, the S3 not on unlimited talk and txt for $45 a month (plus all the extra taxes, fees, etc.). I still have my old Tracfone and it works; I just haven't added any more minutes on it.

LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit