re: Taking a balanced view of the allegations?

by Visionary Man 37 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Visionary Man
    Visionary Man

This is my first post on this forum. I am by all accounts a witness, if not an ideal one. :)

In light of the reaction after the Panorama program I have seen a mixed variety of responses. There is plenty of the "head in sand" variety, quite a few reserved judgements and a few doubters too. The elders reaction in my congregation to a friend of mine who had been abused as a child was respectable and their discussions with that individual made no excuses but reaffirmed the sense of the societies policies.

However my own personal view is this, and I would welcome peoples thoughts on my opinion.

When I chose to become a witness in my own right (I was brought up in the organisation by my mother / divded household) I made the choice based on the fact that I could not fault the societies motives in general. I speculated about the possibility that the organisation was a money making venture, or that it was nothing more than a power trip by various eccentric individuals. I attempted to assertain the accuracy of the society's thoughts and interpretations of scripture and I looked for pitfalls.

I still reserve judgment on all of those issues. I got baptised because I could not prove thier motives otherwise. There are issues and interpretations that I still disagree with now, but I can not fault the fact that ultimately, Jehovah's Witnesses are the best (to my knowledge) organisation for helping individuals get close to God. This view may have been different if I was in a different congregation however.

I feel that the issue with peadaphiles should not be used as a mud slinging activity. And I certainly don't agree with the insinuation by the program of the organisation as having bad motives at this stage. However on careful review of the societies policies I do believe that the organisation has a very wooly approach to this issue. The policies may not be there to protect Peodaphiles, but it does because of the way that the society directs its followers to thmeselves as being the primary authority and not the police.

There are obviously resons for this and that is another debate entirely. But the crux of my view of recent events is that the society has been proved negligent by their lack of action within individual congregations. I am not impressed. However I certainly do not condemn the society for this since I do not expect much more from human beings.

The answer?

Look only to Christ as a means of seeing God. Use the society as a means of obtaining the neccesary information to learn about Christ. Work with the society to further aid that process for others. Do not look to other humans as an exclusive means to this end and never accept or lay down on man made policies. People, think for yourselves!!! Make the truth *your own*.

Best Regards,
    Visionary Man

• onacruse
    onacruse

Welcome, and thank you for your thoughtful post.

You are wise to "reserve judgements on all [these] issues."

Mud-slinging is not the purpose here, but some men's actions result in slinging mud on themselves. "The sins of some men are publicly manifest, leading directly to judgement, but as for other men [their sins] also become manifest later." (1 Tim 5:24 NWT) Judging motives is not the purpose here, but the actions of all men eventually make their motives clear for all to see. "I, Jehovah, am examining the heart, examining the kidneys, even to give to each one according to his ways, according to the fruitage of his dealings." (Jer 17:10 NWT)

As for the Society, or any society, Scripture says: "It is better to take refuge in Jehovah Than to trust in earthling man." (Ps 118:8 NWT) As you say "Do not look to other human beings as a means to this end an never accept or lay down on man made policies."

You apparently have a very open mind. Keep it that way. "If anyone thinks he has acquired knowledge of something, he does not yet know [it] just as he ought to know [it]." (1 Cor 8:2 NWT)

Wishing you the very best on your journey! It has just begun.

Craig

• Dacke
    Dacke

Dear Brother, 
    I am a Brother as well, and for all intents purposes, I aim to remain one.
    I am proud of being one. 
    "Make the truth your own." So many people seem to have missed this
    vital point with the truth.
    I so love my brothers and sisters in my congo.
    They're not mind-controlled loonies. They are brilliant.
    I came to the Kingdom Hall with a mohawk style haircut, and they laughed at me :-D 
    not being mean, just thinking I was a madcap ;-) 
    they were worse at work, i really had to draw a line with my worldly mates there.
    I laugh at the little black kids' minnie mouse haircuts... 
    The thing is perhaps, we have a great congo because people stay and fight.
    I am the congo just as much as any elder. It's not their religion.
    We're all in it together.
  • Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Welcome Visionary

I also agree with you that this matter of child abuse should not be a "mud-slinging activity". But I do think if people have suffered due to a desire to protect the image of the organization instead of the actual people that make up the organization, then the Society should be held accountable. This whole concept of protecting the image of the organization at all costs has been subtlely ingrained in each member by the Society and they should accept responsibility for that.

Over and over again the Society refuses to accept any responsibility for harm caused by members faithfully adhering to their doctrines and policies and harm caused by incompetent and untrained elders at the congregation level.

At some point you just get tired of the blame being put on you or on the local elder body and you have to realize that the real problem is men at the top that have become so arrogant and so out of touch with reality.

Path

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

"the best (to my knowledge) organisation for helping individuals get close to God."

Since when do you need an ORGANIZATION to help you get close to God? Can't seem to find that requirement anywhere in your Bible...

• Visionary Man
    Visionary Man

"Since when do you need an ORGANIZATION to help you get close to God?"

Since Christ nipped off to Heaven to set up the kingdom and apostate christianity had a field day with the doctrines.

"Can't seem to find that requirement anywhere in your Bible..."

It's not a *requirement*. It's just a very good idea.

Visionary Man

• chasson
    chasson

Since Christ nipped off to Heaven to set up the kingdom and apostate christianity had a field day with the doctrines.

Do you think really that the first christians were an unified organisation which slowly was infected by apostasy.

Could you explain me how all "the Hebrews" for Paul has written, didn't believe in resurrection and believed that Jesus was inferior to angel ?

I think you must study several books on the first christian and on the history of christianity. You could find the answer to how Christ has leaded his church since the beginning.

Bye

Charles

• minimus
    minimus

Interesting post....just MAKE THE TRUTH YOUR OWN.......here's the problem, a person gets abused, they go to the spiritual leaders to take care of the them, they are told that due to their organizational policy, there's nothing that can really be proven, so why don't you just make the truth your own? ....TERRIBLE ANSWER

• stocwach
    stocwach

Since you are obviously a "maverick" JW, it would behoove you to read "Crisis of Conscience" by Ray Franz, since you are obviously still undecided on a number of issues related to the organization.

Word to the wise however, do not be vocal to members in the congregation like you have been here, becuase you will surely be inviting a judicial committee if you do.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Visionary Man - I have to first commend you on a very well thought out and respectful post. Many times with all the different views we come across those new here can seem to take the low road and start the mud a flying. So although while I disagree with much (if not all) of your post I wanted to thank you for the way you presented it.

Yes the elders are human and do make mistakes. I am not sure that there is anyone here that would disagree with that fact. But doesn't it strike you odd that "ALL" the elders are making the same mistake? If so then it would lead one to believe that it is due to the rules and regulations set by the GB..who in turn say the are inspuired by god.

And yes I have made the truth my own - we just have a different opinion on what the truth is.

btw - welcom to the forum...I hope you stick around as I feel you are a decent person.

Spice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit