More David Letterman

by William Penwell 12 Replies latest jw friends

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well, I just finished off this letter to the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I am using a "competition" angle and a "children's angle" to see if they "bite".

Hawk

To: internet: [email protected]

Date: 7/17/02 1:15PM

Subject: Letterman's Monologues over 23,720 Child Rape Cover ups in the Jehovah's Witnesses

July 17, 2002

Dear Sir/Madame,

I listened to Mr. David Letterman's July 15 and 16, 2002 comments on the Jehovah's Witnesses Child Abuse Cover up scandal. The scandal involves the JW leadership covering up for child rapists who left behind some 23,720 children victims. It is so shocking even compared to the Catholic Church issue. I am wondering if Mr. Leno would care to offer some comments on this issue during his wonderful show. If Mr. Leno or a member of his writing team has 33 minutes, please click here ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/newsid_2114000/2114320.stm

..... and watch (or read) BBC's Panorama July 14, 2002 show on the cover up. On May 28, 2002 Dateline NBC also aired a major show on the cover up and the threat to the public.

How the USA and British police were treated when trying to investigate these crimes, how the Witnesses supported the convicted felons at sentencing and shun the victim, and, how the Watchtower tried to cover up the abuse was absolutely stunning.

While the Catholic's do the "mea culpa", the Witnesses are covering up, and, actually requiring known and accused pedophiles who are JWs to knock on an unsuspecting public's front door with/without an untrained second Witness. Like would you let your children near a monster? So why is the Watchtower (JW organization) allowing pedophiles to come to our door?

Just as important, please note the following article in the Britain's Sunday Herald. It seems the police are investigating the Watchtower for covering up the abuse (aka obstruction of justice). It appears charges will be laid soon against the Watchtower itself!!! Click on this ..... http://www.sundayherald.com/26260 .... to read that story.

I have thanked Mr. Letterman for alerting the public. I hope Mr. Leno and his writing team will consider doing something in the Tonight Show's monologue on this stunning issue involving a New York based religious group - at least for informing some of the 23,000 victims that there is help out there and they are not alone. And to alert the public to try and get this policy changed. After all, we are talking about innocent little children who need our help and cunning pedophiles who are required to knock on the public's door without their knowledge.

Remember nearly all 284 million Americans come into contact with the JWs at least twice a year due to the door knocking.

If your interested, an advocates web site is http://www.silentlambs.org

Take care,

xxxxxxx

p.s. - Here are Mr. David Letterman's comments:

Last night (July 16, 2002) in his monologue Letterman stated:

" I don't know but are you like me and getting tired of these religious sex abuse scandals? First it was the Catholics, now its the Jehovah's Witnesses. This is really weird. The Jehovah's Witnesses, its crazy. Here's what happens, they will grope you and then leave you a pamphlet." (Laughter and Applause) So the Jehovah's Witnesses are in a lot of trouble and they went to court today. The first day the Jehovah's Witnesses went to court and no one would answer the door. That's the problem they wouldn't answer the door, to get a pamphlet." (More laughter) .

On July 15, 2002 (Monday night) in his monologue Letterman stated:

"Did you hear there's a big sex abuse scandal concerning Jehovah's Witnesses in Minnesota? (no response from audience so he asks again) Did you hear about that???? (audience now groans, Nooooooooooo) Yeah, well, uh, I sure hope this isn't true... I really hope it is not true because, uh, we would really hate to see people START avoiding Jehovah's Witnesses... We wouldn't want THAT to happen." (laughter from audience)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Hey I just emailed Dave and briefly congradulated him on his piece. I am sure if the writers think they have found something funny, they will string it on now for a few more shows.LIke sunflowers30 meantioned that joke seem to have brought the most laughter so believe me they will string this one out. Also I am surprise Leno hasn't jumped on the band wagon also. They seem to compete with each other on the joke material.

Will

Hi Dave and staff,

I would like to congratulate you on the piece you did about Jehovah's Witnesses and their sex abuse scandal. The leadership of the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society, doesnt seem to understand the importance of child abuse but are covering it up. Unlike the Catholic church that are at least being forced to deal with the issue of child abuse, The Jehovah's Witnesses feel they have done nothing wrong, thus they keep allowing these sexual predators to knock on your door... Keep up the good work.

Will

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

There has also been a Top Ten List that mentioned Dubs:

Top Ten Things You Don't Want To Hear On A Ski Lift

10. "Wow, you don't get views like this in prison."

9. "You know, we'd both be warmer if you sat on my lap."

8. "If it doesn't snow again soon, I'm afraid they're gonna find the bodies."

7. "It's your lucky day -- you're riding with the king of the knock-knock jokes."

6. "Can you help me defrost my moustache?"

5. "Could you believe it? Some idiot just left these skis sitting right outside the lodge."

4. "While we've got a few minutes -- let me tell you about the Jehovah's Witnesses."

3. "Ow! I just got hit in the face by a goose!"

2. "I got a perfect way of testing if they have 10 inches of powder."

1. "All right boys, cut the cable!"

Edited by - Michael3000 on 19 July 2002 16:31:47

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit