Data Protection Act (?)

by teejay 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• teejay
    teejay

A quote from Panorama that I found very interesting:

What they did was keep a record of her fathers name and confession on a Church database, a register of suspected and convicted paedophiles to be monitored. We asked Alison Cousins to obtain a copy of her records using the Data Protection Act ... There in black and white was proof that the Jehovahs Witnesses had known for three years that her father was a self confessed paedophile.

Could someone explain to me what this is? Is this a law unique to Britain? Would it be possible to use this law to force the UK Branch to open its database of ALL known pedos?

More than maybe anything else, for me this unimpeachable evidence - that the WTS knew of an admitted pedophile in its midst for three years and yet did not reveal it either the police or at-risk people in its own membership - is the most damning of all. We already knew that was the practice, but to have the hard evidence right there in black and white! Wow.

I loved the scathing denunciation from the cops, too. I thik the average person watching the show would have a very similar reaction.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Hey Teejay,

There is a thread on this board discussing the Data Protection Act. I can't find it right now. But I am aware that one can demand under this Act (UK) their records from the WTBTS (UK). I have included a link for you to view. Hope this helps for now.

And yes its a law unique to the UK as of now.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980029.htm

Edited by - cassiline on 15 July 2002 15:19:16

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, you can request to see copies of data that an organisation has about you personally (though they may charge for it). Until recently this only covered computer records and the local hall ducked behind this to avoid answering. I sent a request a while ago and the result was bizzare:

They ignored the first letter

I sent a further letter reminding them that by law they had to respond to me within a certain time (40 days I think) and if they didn't I would make a formal complaint about them to the data protection registrar.

Two elders then came to our house (nothing like threatening them to get their asses into gear) and said that they had no information recorded about me.

"Fine" I said. "Please put that in writing".

Looks of panic on their face they said they couldn't do that (they could tell me they had nothing but would not put it in writing ... hmmn, why do I think they are liers?!)

Recently, however, the law has changed so that paper based records are also covered. I plan on sending them a letter now to see what they have. If information is incorrect or their use of information is causing harm then there is some recourse to have things corrected.

I think delivering it by hand to the elders in the middle of the sunday meeting would probably be best to make sure it does not get forgotten about. It feels good to control them and have them jumping about ... you should try it.

"My bad"

Edited by - Simon on 15 July 2002 15:30:58

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

teejay,

http://www.dataprotection.gov.uk

It looks like the UK data protection act has a Freedom of Information Act similar to the US'.

I thought the way they handled those cases was beyond damning. It's one thing to sit on the information for three years, but the bastard had already admitted to molesting one daughter, and they looked at that poor girl and said she was lying? (Not, "sorry, we don't have enough proof", or even "we don't know who to believe", but "we know that you are lying to us"???)

If they could only see how pharisaical they've become. Don't these men stop and think for one second and see how legalistic their policies are? Can't they stop their knee-jerk defense of Mother long enough to ask themselves "would Jesus have told this poor young girl, who finally screwed up the courage to confide these terrible violations to her spiritual shepherds, that she was lying because there weren't two witnesses?"

I don't even have children, yet I watched the interviews with a lump in my throat. I can't imagine what you parents and survivors were feeling.

Hmmm

• teejay
    teejay

I posted this thread prematurely.

On a webshow following Parnorama (linked to here), Bill mentioned that because of the separation of church and state in the U.S. the Freedom of Information Act excludes religions from having to reveal secret information that deals with the way it runs its form of worship. As Bill said, the Watchtower hides behind the Constitution.

Since you have it at your disposal, I'd recommend that all Englishters take advantage of this law, even if there has been no allegation. Just for the hell of it.

• Mackin
    Mackin

There is a very similar act here in NZ to the one you mention Simon, it's called the Privacy Act. It covers all records that an agency may hold about you.

Any individual has the right to request to see a copy of everything pertaining to them and correct it if necessary.

One of the interesting facets of the Privacy Act is that information about an individual cannot be kept indefinitely. I was in Bethel when this act came into force and the WTS was somewhat concerned because they never throw anything away. For example, DF/DA records & letters etc, are kept in a file marked "DND" (Do Not Destroy) and most congregation files, especially judicial hearing notes, are kept by the congregation indefinitely also. The WTS decided that they "would not worry about the law until there was a challenge". To the best of my knowledge, in this country they have never been challenged.

I have been considering writing to them and asking to see everything they have on me, I bet they have quite a bit. Problem is, I will probably be DF'd for my trouble so I don't know if it's worth it at this stage.

It's just one of the many ways the WTS breaks the law. Don't even get me started on the Bethel Application Form!

Mackin.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I have recently requested a copy of any information that is held on their files, using the Data Protection Act.

I got a letter back (quite speedily!) requesting ten pounds (UK) and proof of identity. I have sent oft the money and am awaiting the info.

Perhaps they are receiving such a lot of requests that they are now charging for this service.

• Simon
    Simon

Ten pounds is the maxiumum that they are allowed to charge. They do not have to charge anything.

Typical that they would choose to charge the maximum eh?!

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Thanks for that info Simon - yes, it's quite an eyeopener that they are charging the maximum.

As a registered charity it doesn't seem right, surely they should pay tax on this sort of income!!

• SYN
    SYN

Simon, I can just picture you walking in in the middle of the Public Talk, with the Circuit Overseer conducting, handing him the letter, explaining what it's for, and then saying "And beware, I run one of the biggest Apostate Sites on the entire Web, and I get a bucketload of traffic, so you guys had better be on yer toes!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit