Panorama: outstanding!

by comment 17 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

I didn't see all of Panorama, but what I did see was outstanding. In its depth and thoroughness, it surpassed what Dateline had to offer.

It really highlighted some key points:

1) The Society's failure to protect the children from molestation is based primarily on the organization-wide policy of "two witnesses" and its desire to keep the image of the congregation "clean," NOT the incompetence or willful corruption of a few local elders. Even if the Society is modifying its policies now, clearly they have years of coverups to answer for.

2) The brothers are unwilling to provide straightforward answers to questions about their policies. Were the questions posed by the BBC interviewer hard-hitting and even confrontational in a sense? Yes, but the fact is that nowadays the public expects accountability. To brush off a reporter, as Ted Jaracz did with his "we've got a written policy and we don't go beyond the things written," looks absolutely terrible on camera. And it speaks volumes about the Society's high-and-mighty attitude toward criticism of any sort.

I can only imagine that this program will prompt further investigation of the Society regarding its child abuse policy by the authorities in Britain and the United States, not to mention other countries where it is broadcasted.

comment

Edited by - comment on 14 July 2002 18:24:4

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Well i'd love to watch it hwoever, i'm at the Library at UTSA and everyone here's like "IF YOU SO MUCH AS EVEN THINK ABOUT TALKING TO SOMEONE ONLINE...(BANG) " ...so ig otta keep this page hidden since it's a "discussion" page.. and it's a lirbary so i can't just open up a link and start watching a tv program or audio file. ALTHOUGH, that would be pretty funny... it's nice and quiet...librarians working...someone wondering how wonderful their life is...and how they can't wait to have kids...and i cilck the link and a voice from my PC comes out and says: "JW RELIGION SEX SCANDLE TERRIFIES LOCAL COMMUNITY" :P FS

Edited by - FiveShadows on 14 July 2002 18:41:26

Edited by - FiveShadows on 14 July 2002 18:42:43

• freeborg
    freeborg

Words can not describe the impact of the program, it was to the point highlighted the plight of the poor innocent victims of the rules and regulations that the society abide by. And the governing body member that was confronted by the reporter!!!! Well what a complete idiot he looked, he didnt make any sense at all.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Despite all that that I have read on the net, I was still shocked and horrified. Deeply saddened by the impact of local cases Tragic for the victims- I am still shocked to think that this org, which shaped so much of our lives , and of which we though so much could have sunk so low

• freeborg
    freeborg

Even though I hav'nt been to a meeting for 2 years and completly hate the WTS, I too was saddened and tearfull when listening to the accounts of abuse and in the knowledge that I thought so much of the WTS. It is so shocking and disgusting that this society has ruled so many lives and to the so called governing body I hope they realise what they have done. They are blood guilty and have ruined so many lives they are accountable to millions and should be shown up for what they are stupid old men.

Edited by - freeborg on 14 July 2002 19:2:35

• Steven
    Steven

Hi All,

The programme was really good. I listened to the radio program aftwards related to it & tried to ring in but then the programme moved on - I have posted the below on the related radio threads but wanted to put a slightly modified one here to...

I was going to say on the programme that most JWs don't believe that Jehovah would allow child abuse to happen & definitely not on the scale mentioned in the Panorama programme.

But think - how is Jehovah supposedly going to deal with it when basically it should be reported to the elders who often don't do much with it & very rarely I believe report it to the police. Also how are there meant to be any witnesses to child abuse - the abuser isn't likely to oblige & take a few other witnesses along is he? Hence nothing happens.

And where do the elders get their policies on dealing with this sort of allegation? From the Governing Body - who basically don't want to deal with it - hence it is again ignored - buried.....

How terrible for all those kids who have been abused or will continue to be or will be in the future!

Also when you think about over 23,700 abusers on a JW database this is terribly shocking - I had no idea when I was a witness & to think that most on this db probably haven't been reported to the police - what does it tell them - that it is okay, or at least will be ignored, if they carry on abusing?

Steven.

• moneypenny
    moneypenny

Panorama was outstanding indeed!!!!!!!1

No-one from the organisation was prepared to be interviewed, they hid like cowards and that GB member was so arrogant.

On the follow up debate lots of calls from people who had been abused and kept quiet.......one from my home town here in the Midlands UK. Only two called to defend the org and they really did not have a defence when challenged.

I am ashamed I ever had anything to with the JW's. I associated and studied with them for about five years attending meetings and conventions on occasions but was never really committed. I would like Panorama to take them to task on the blood issue.

• stewart
    stewart

I have been an ex JW now for about 10 years, and have pretty much 'put it behind me' (aka repression I guess). Panaroma brought it all back, the frustation at wasted years, a bit of anger etc. The program was excellent and coming from a congregation, Haslingden in Lancashire UK that went through one of these 'episodes' I have rarely felt so emotional.
    It led me to look up this forum and I guess you'll be hearing from me now I have awoken from my daze.
    The spookiest thing now looking back is that going to the Police was such an issue, it is amazing how you can become so conditioned.

• Simon
    Simon

Glad you stumbled upon us stewart - I think there are many thousands who have left and don't know about all the other people in the same boat, possibly with a few unresolved 'issues'. If nothing else, being able to talk to a few other people who understand (ie. been there, done that) can really help.

It is strange looking back and picturing how you thought isn't it? I can't believe some of the things I thought and did now but at the time it seemed so 'right'

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Stewart,

Welcome and do stick around, you will find many of like heart and experience here.

Best - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit