Transcript of the UK letter

by dmouse 24 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse

I went to the meeting this morning and taped the reading of the letter, and transcribed it when I got home. There are a few alterations to the U.S. letter posted by Silent Lambs. I have highlighted these changes.

Dear Brothers:

At Psalm 144:15 we read: "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!" We see the truth­fulness of this inspired statement when we associate with our brothers and sisters at conventions, assemblies, and congregation meetings. We enjoy a warm atmosphere of peace while we benefit from fine spiritual encouragement from Jehovah and his organization. (Psalm 29:11) What a con­trast to those of the world who lack true spiritual guidance and a solid hope for the future! --Isaiah 65:13.

What enables us to maintain our happy spirit? For one thing, we fear Jehovah and we deeply respect the admonition in His Word, including what the Bible says on sexual matters. (1 Corinthians 6:9 ,10 ; Hebrews 13:4) At first, it was not easy for some of us to bring our lives into harmony with Jehovah's elevated standards. We had to make significant changes in our lifestyle before we could qualify for membership in Jehovah's clean, spirit-directed organization. Was it worth the effort? Absolutely! How happy we are to be living in harmony with God's righteous re­quirements!

In recent weeks, the press in this country has focused attention on the way accusations of child abuse are handled by various religious organizations. Such reports may cause some sincere individuals to ask about the procedures followed by Jehovah's Witnesses, Therefore, we believe that it will be beneficial to review with you our Bible-based position, so that you will "know how you ought to give an answer" to any who may inquire.-Colossians 4:6.

Simply stated, we abhor the sexual abuse of children and will not protect any perpetrator of such repugnant acts from the consequences of his gross sin. (Romans 12:9) We expect the elders to investigate every allegation of child abuse. Even one abused child is one too many. However, in evaluating the evidence, they must bear in mind the Bible's clear direction: "No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin .... At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good." (Deuteronomy 19:15) Later, this requirement to consider testimony of two or three witnesses was confirmed by Jesus. (Mat­thew 18:16) Thus, although they investigate every allegation, the elders in not authorized by the Scriptures to take congregational action unless there is a confession or there are two credible wit­nesses, However , if two persons are witnesses to separate incidents of the same kind of wrongdo­ing, their testimony can be deemed sufficient to take action.--l Timothy 5:19, 24, 25.

What if someone is a proven child molester? The article "Let Us Abhor What is Wicked !" published in the Jan 1 st 1997 , issue of The Watchtower had this to say on page 29: "For the pro­tection of our children, a man known to have been a child molester does not qualify for a responsible position in the congregation. Moreover, he cannot be a pioneer or serve in any other special, full-time service." We take such decisive action because we are concerned with maintaining Bible standards and protecting our children. (1 Timothy 3:2, 9, 10) Everyone in the organization is ex pected to meet the same requirements, namely, to be clean physically, mentally, morally, and spiri­tually.2nd Corinthians 7: 1; Ephesians 4:17-19; 1 Thessalonians 2:4.

Our position is that the secular authorities deal with crime while elders deal with sin. To avoid a miscarriage of justice elders must not interfere with, prevent, or impede any secular investigation into child abuse. They must ensure that secular laws are adhered to (Romans 13:1)

To that end they are instructed to contact the legal dept at Bethel whenever they receive information from even one person who alleges that child abuse has occurred. When a report is received guidance is given by the legal dept to ensure that:

1. The alleged victim and other potential victims are protected from possible abuse.

2. The council is given to report crime to the proper authorities and to comply with any additional legal requirements.

The elders know that it is the absolute right of the victim, his or her family or anyone else to report the matter to the authorities, if they so wish. (Galatians 6:5)

At least since 1981, articles have been published in our journals, The Watchtower and Awake ! , with a view to educating Jehovah's people and the public on the need to protect children from child abuse. Besides the above-quoted article, there was the article. "Help For the Victims of Incest," which appeared in the , Watchtower. Awake! has featured such articles as "Your Child is in Danger!" "How Can We Protect Our Children ? " and "Prevention in the Home" (October 8, 1993) as well as "Child Molesting-Every Mother's Nightmare," in its Jan 22 nd 1985 issue.

We believe that we have a strong, Bible-based policy on child abuse. Over the years, as we have noted areas where our policy could be strengthened, we have not hesitated to follow through. At Kingdom Ministry Schools the elders receive ongoing reminders regarding this policy and related matters. And we continue to urge the elders to follow closely the procedures that we have es­tablished.

The moral cleanness of the congregation continues to be of vital concern to the "faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45) As we keep applying Scriptural principles in our lives, our hap­piness will increase. We trust that these reminders will be helpful to you as you share the Kingdom hope with right-hearted ones. We have much to be grateful for in the way of spiritual refreshment as a result of attending the "Zealous Kingdom Proclaimers " District Conventions. What a happy prospect! Yes, there is no doubt about it: "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!"-Psalm 144:15.

Your brothers,

• dmouse
    dmouse

After the meeting I was approached by an elder, who used to be a good friend of mine. He asked me if I had come to hear the letter and I told him I had.

He said that he was 'absolutely gutted' by the situation. We talked for a while and he agreed that some elders in different congregations had handled things badly. However he assured me that such a thing would not happen in our congregation as he had very strong feelings on the issue (we both have kids in the cong) and th he would take action to expose child abuse no matter what.

I am grateful that this congregation at least has an elder with scruples.

In parting I asked him if he was going to watch Panorama tonight, 'absolutely' was the reply.

• outnfree
    outnfree

's to you Dmouse! I have been waiting for this all morning!

Now, have you courier-ed the tape over to the BBC Panorama producers?

They might want to ask the WT Society HOW LONG their highlighted position has been in effect. Also, if the elders ever receive CONTRARY VERBAL INSTRUCTIONS to written policy at their Kingdom Ministry Schools. And, if this contrary verbal instruction just MIGHT have influenced the elders in the Cousins' congregation to inaction resulting in the incestuous rape of a SECOND Cousins daughter, and the Birmingham(?) elders in their obstinate refusal to cooperate with law enforcement officials there? I'm sure the BBC reporters can think of others.

outnfree

• Scully
    Scully

So much damage control.... so little time.....

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Love, Scully

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Thanks Dmouse!

The letter is pathetic.

1) Blow our own trumpet.

2) Say something nasty about everyone else.

3) Repeat the usual rubbish about Bible principles that got them into this mess, surrounded by good sounding phrases like "decisive action". Hope no-one notices.

Expatbrit

• 2SYN
    2SYN

There are some really damning statements in THIS beauty of a document. I'm sure this day is going to live in infamy in the minds of victims of abuse who heard this letter in their Halls.

Even one abused child is one too many. However, in evaluating the evidence, they must bear in mind the Bible's clear direction: "No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin .... At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good."

Same old same old. DNA evidence, of course, is disregarded. Who needs secular science?

Our position is that the secular authorities deal with crime while elders deal with sin. To avoid a miscarriage of justice elders must not interfere with, prevent, or impede any secular investigation into child abuse. They must ensure that secular laws are adhered to

Translation: Only go to the police when required to do so by law, otherwise keep it covered up. Delightful!

The elders know that it is the absolute right of the victim, his or her family or anyone else to report the matter to the authorities, if they so wish.

But nothing is mentioned about the undertone of this sentence: You may go to the Authorities, but woe is you if you do it without the permission of the Legal Dept.!

Over the years, as we have noted areas where our policy could be strengthened, we have not hesitated to follow through.

Translation: When enough Apostates have caused enough turbulence and gotten our horrendously Mideavil (SP?) policies enough attention, then we change them!

"For the pro­tection of our children, a man known to have been a child molester does not qualify for a responsible position in the congregation. Moreover, he cannot be a pioneer or serve in any other special, full-time service."

But, such men may still go out unaccompanied in service!

This letter is exactly what I was expecting, and I guarantee you when this hits the desk of somebody sufficiently important at the BBC, the fit is going to hit the shan for the Tower. MWHUAHAHA.

• invisible
    invisible

Thankyou Dmouse for posting the transcript, I was wondering how the letter might be adapted to the legal structure over here. Tell me, would you do me a favour and email this transcript to me at CAN Online, part of the UKonline and RuralNet Extranets, I'll make sure it is posted onto the databases Exchange of Information viewing boards.

Well done!!

Mark Price [email protected] http://www.can-online.org.uk

• invisible
    invisible

I also asked my parents about the letter that was read out as soon as they came back in from the Sunday afternoon field service and the reaction of the congregation locally.

'Many were apparently saddened that such activities have been going on within the congregations but they are pleased the brothers are taking the responsible path in following the scriptures and sorting this out'.

The impression I got from this was thus, ' disbelief, (satan obviously stirring things up and a 'nimby' attitude, it might be happening, but not in my back yard), in other words, yes, it might be going on, but certainly not in our congregation.

Typically British you might say, a don't carish attitude, looking down the nose in disdain, snobbish and no reprehensibility for their own root cause actions.

The next few days and week or so could be highly interesting to see unfold.

• invisible
    invisible

2SYN

By magic it doesn't happen like that in this country, you have to state your case and state it well, otherwise it will just get thrown out the window. Its not like this is an immediate thing, this documentary this evening, in the background here, there are quite a few who have been consistently writing and making contact with the media and documentary makers, not just Panorama, but also those affiliated with the ITV and Channel4 documentary makers.

Consistent effort is the key no matter what life throws at you, you just keep moving it on, progressing things forwards. If we are not careful, this will be 'old' news within 3 days here maximum, that essentially is our window of opportunity, (for now).

Mark

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Dmouse

Good on you! Why not fax the Panorama research team a copy of your transcription? Any of us could do it but as you actually recorded it they may wish to get back in touch with you.

Use this number; [ removed ]

Nic'

Edited by - Simon on 14 July 2002 11:32:20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit