Can music & pot = a spiritual experience?

by truman 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• truman
    truman

I am just wondering, because I think for me it did. I am a woman with grown children,
    so I am coming to these things from a different stage in life than many do, but since
    leaving the WTS, I am on something of a quest to experience life and relationships in new
    and expanding ways.

My latest new adventure was a TOOL concert. I went last night, and it was incredible.
    The band was amazing, and experiencing the energy between them, the music, and the
    crowd was a spiritual experience. And that was before the pot, something I had only tried
    a couple of times before with no especially notable effects beyond feeling a little
    lightheaded.

But this time, there was some synergy created in my brain between the music and the
    psyco-active substance. I just closed my eyes and became absorbed into the music, until I
    felt like I was the music, in an ever expanding landscape punctuated by flashes of light, in
    which even with my eyes closed, I felt like I could still percieve everything around me, just
    without the distraction of the garishness of optical input. It was transcendent, like nothing
    I have ever experienced before. I have a hard time finding non-cliched phrases to describe
    this, but I felt melded into everything and everyone. I think my mind was blown. Yes,
    definitely blown.

I feel such an uplifting contrast between this experience and the total lack of any
    spiritual feeling I had as a witness. My spiritual landscape in the WTS was all about nose-
    to-the-grindstone, endure to the end, keep your focus small (only on society approved
    things). It was a parched, barren spiritual life, at least to me. This new experience filled
    me up, nourished me, and made me feel like spirituality might be something worth
    pursueing. I know it doesn't mean I was visited by God, but it was the most mind
    expanding thing that has ever happened to me.

Can anyone else relate to this? I would sure be interested in hearing about it.

truman

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, i can relate to it. Mj is a boundary/barrier remover. I sometimes use it for internal meditation, or meditation on objects in nature. It's like fuel to get you where you want to go, but you need to learn to navigate, or you can just veg out, groove to the music. If you use it too often, it looses its edge. If you really want to get into this, then i recommend that you learn meditation. Pick one form that works for you. Or read about dtaoist energy exercises. They are like visualizations.

There are some 'churches' based on this, i've heard.

SS

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

SS, and Truman,

MJ has been used for thousands of years,(for its spiritual benifits) I too feel their is something spiritual about it. I often go for long walks alone to be with nature when I smoke. Mostly I prefer to be alone when stoned so i can get deeper into my head, it often gets me to see thing from different perspective so I almost always have a pen and paper ready to write what I'm thinking down.

There are people that function much better mildly stoned.

Try some meditation CD's i think you get into a much deeper trance with a mild stone.

• teejay
    teejay

Truman.

I've missed you. Hope most things are well in your world. Hope you and your son have found peace -- common ground.

I can't speak much about pot (haven't had much experience), but I *do* love music and its inspirational qualities. TOOL I've heard about (and heard some of), also.

Beyond that, I recently got in touch (via mp3s) with a lot of music from my past... songs I hadn't heard in twenty (or more) years. Hearing those sounds again has taken me to a totally different place than where I am now. They are playing as I type this. A *better* place?

Not necessarily. Just different. Familiar. A place I like.

I say: "Get to your own slice of Paradise... wherever that is, whatever it takes."

We're not here that long.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dwilt

MJ has been used for thousands of years,(for its spiritual benifits)
    Thanks for reminding me. While others used it before them, the sufis used it in their spiritual work. They taught the knights templar a few things about the spirit. The templars experimented w it, and used it in their own martial work. The templars built the great gothic churches, when they returned to europe. These projects and other new tech affected a turn which brought europe onto a climb out of the dark ages. Ain't pot great?

No wonder the church and western gov'ts don't like it. Look what it caused in the sixties. World Peace One almost broke out.

SS

• truman
    truman

Thanks guys for the input.

SaintSatan,
    Your point about navigating interests me. At the time, I did feel like I had control of the process to some degree. I could go deeper into it or come out of it into the reality of the surroundings at will. It was a fascinating sensation. Do you mean more than that, and can you elaborate if you do?

Dave,
    Can you send me the info on those meditation CDs. The one I tried at the picnic seemed like a good one. What was its name? I'd like to hear more about your nature walks next time I see you, too.

teejay,
    Thanks for remembering me. Though I haven't been around much as a poster, I have been lurking regularly, and I always enjoy reading your stuff. I remember your sympathetic response during that crisis with my son. Thanks. We are doing fairly well these days. He and his wife switched congs., and I haven't been to a meeting since the Memorial. We talk regularly and have no contention. But then, that is all dependent, I sometimes believe, on the rule of never talking about the elephant in the room, you know, the one with "I think your Mom is an apostate" written all over the side. He tries hard to understand, as well as mind control will let him anyway. He is giving his first hour talk tomorrow, so I will be going to his KH for that. Should be interesting.

truman

• Farkel
    Farkel

Marijuana is demonized.

This is all Bible-Based(tm).

Farkel

• truman
    truman

Farkel....Marijuana is demonized?!!

Darn,...those demons get all the best stuff!

truman

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Truman,

AMEN!!! I'm 34, and tried it sporadically a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it, because of the freeing sensation it gave me. About a year and a half ago I met my boyfriend Jonathan, and have since learned how it helps me spiritually. Upon leaving the jw's, I felt pretty bereft emotionally and spiritually. Mj has helped me tremendously on my quest--it helps me to let go of the fetters that have been placed on my mind. The incredible experience of being able to THINK--about anything at any level is simply amazing to me.

Thanks for reminding us of Tool--we listened to some after reading your post. Have you ever heard of Widespread Panic? Their music is kind of like swampy jams, with a large variety of percussion, a didgeridoo thrown in occasionally in their live shows, etc. I went to their concert last year and danced my a** off! I felt my first real connection to the music, the people, the entire energy of the place. It was definitely a life changing event.

Saint Satan,

I too have finally figured out how to use the feeling to do different things--but it took me awhile. Being able to have an intense conversation with someone, listening to great music, enjoying nature, reading--anything to expand my mind. And I appreciated your comments about the gov't--we sure can't have a nation of peaceful people now can we! Duh!

Teejay,

You don't know what you're missing--especially if you're already a lover of music. Maybe we need to throw a different kind of apostate party soon.....we'll host!

Farkel,

I always knew the demons somehow had it better!

Becky

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Truman,

Here is the place you can order some meditation CDs.

http://www.brainsync.com/

I have a few of these, "Deep Meditaion" is a good one. My advice use a good set of headphones, although the ones you get with a CD player is OK.

Intro, gave me "Brain Power" to borrow and I'll tell you it really helps when you are at a mental block to free up some of the creativity locked in your brain, I think my fingers afterwards became more fluidic in playing guitar, so I can feel the difference.

Smoking MJ and listening to these CDs will bring flashes of things that have happened in the past with powerful lessons, aleast for me it does. I also feel less constipated emotionally it is powerful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit