The Inherent Goodness Fallacy

by comforter 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

Jesus only refers to himself in the third person when, hic, he's been drinking too much. Considering, hey, I love you man! how much dad and I had been drinking the night we wrote the bible its no wonder Jesus talks about himself so much that way. Drinking makes me stupid, when I'm stupid I refer to myself in third person. Oddly enough Jesus refers to the plant over in the corner in first person at when drinking.
    Can someone pass the vodka please?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    If you knew anything about systematic theology, you would grasp the sense of what was just said, with alacrity. Since you do not, you don't.

This is pure hogwash Comforter and you know it. Your definition of usage of this word in the particular given in Psalm 53:8 is misleading to say the least and you know it.

and the unpacked amplification or theological expansion on the word.

You have presented your own personal interpretation of the application of the Hebrew word 'wicked' to suit your own ends and which fly in the face of its sentient and well as grammatical values. Even the NWT understand this and proscribes much more sense than the 'packed' 'sinful' to this word in this situation by using the word 'pervert'.

Your little verbal preamble, typical of your affected style ( DunsScott? ) is just a young mans foolsih attempt at trying to make himself appear learned, but a fool in a golden cloak, is a fool just the same.

I will waste no further time with you - HS

• comforter
    comforter

HS

Do what you want. I cannot help it if you know nothing about systematic theology, Fregean philosophy of language or the process of abstracting from phantasmal matter to form. Sometimes a little humility never hurts, sir. You may know a minimal amount of Hebrew. You know nothing about the areas of expertise I just mentioned and you know it. You probably don't know squat about the Septuagint Bible either.

Good day from

Comforter

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

For the sake of any readers who have not by now fathomed the extent of Comforters bluff regarding his so-called knowledge of what Psalm truly means, I will quote the NIV Commentary of this Psalm which to remind ourself says :

'Even from birth the wicked go astray: from the womb thay are wayward and speak lies' - NIT
    'The wicked ones have been pervets from the womb, they have wandered from the belly onward' - NWT

The NIV Commentary says:

from birth....from the womb, Their corrupt ways are not sporadic; they act in accordance with their their nature ( see 51:5 ) Here reference is to the wicked, the author does not make a general statement about all people as in the case of Gen 6:5 etc.

If you scroll back to Comforter's posts you will notice he is at variance with this view and has attempted to cover the issue in verbal pastry....lol

Thanks - HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 15 July 2002 15:8:56

• comforter
    comforter

HS

I fail to understand why you did not just get your Gesenius off the shelf and quote from it instead of dancing around it, as you did. As for your citation, it does not make invalid, anything I said earlier.

<<<The NIV Commentary says:

from birth....from the womb, Their corrupt ways are not sporadic; they act in accordance with their their nature ( see 51:5 ) Here reference is to the wicked, the author does not make a general statement about all people as in the case of Gen 6:5 etc.

If you scroll back to Comforter's posts you will notice he is at variance with this view and has attempted to cover the issue in verbal pastry....lol>>>

Did I not say that David was talking about his enemies and not talking about mankind in general? But I said the principle applies to all men in a general sense. What don't you get about what I said clearly?

• comforter
    comforter

Read and weep, HS.

HS: What does this mean?<<<<<

Comforter: The Bible writer is telling you that those who are now wicked have been perverted since the womb. Keep in mind that he is talking about his enemies, ones who have shown themselves hardened toward God. The principle applies to every opposer of God though. Ps 51:5 and Isaiah 48:8.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

At this stage you are deliberately trying to waste my time Comforter - Larc drew attention to your consistent modus of changing your own mind in full flight. Your statement above is theologically inconsistent with the meaning of Psalm 53:8 and what is more you know it. So cut the mischief.The principle that you attempt to explain, that of 'wickedness' or 'pervertion' as used in the above Psalm, does not apply to all mankind theologically. In Psalm 58:3 for instance it only applies to those BORN wicked. Yes, the Hebrews believed that SOME were BORN wicked, while all were born SINFUL. They had a clearly defined grammatical line that seperated the usuage of the word 'wicked' and 'sinfull' and this is discussed by Gesenius . For example we might say, 'that man is sinful but not wicked'. Theologically, the term 'wicked' cannot be applied in a general sense even in principle for every man, as it requires not a state of birth, but an ACTION.

Now, What is your definition of 'GOOD' and 'BAD', after all it was your good-self who raised this question. I have asked you this repeatedly and you have not answered. It is this is the point at issue.

Kindest - HS

PS - I am leaving for a meeting and will be away from my computer for the rest of the day.

PPS - Are you DunScott?

Edited by - hillary_step on 15 July 2002 15:46:23

• SYN
    SYN

Jesus H. Christ vs. Comforter, EXCELLENT!

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

Hey Comforter, why not just take what dad and I wrote at face value? Why are you trying to read between the lines looking for things we never said? Why do you continue to argue that what we helped evolve is somehow flawed and evil? Doesn't saying that mean that we are not perfect as well because a perfect being can't really create something nonperfect could they? You seem to get upset when you think people are putting words in your mouth so don't you think dad and I feel the same way when folks such as yourself put words in ours? It doesn't matter what you think of me because it doesn't matter where the message is coming from because a truth or lie is still a truth or lie despite who said it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit