The Inherent Goodness Fallacy

by comforter 68 Replies latest jw friends

• comforter
    comforter

Most or all people are good. So they say. Actually, humans are basically evil. The Bible says that man be inclined toward what is bad from his youth up. (Genesis 8:21) The human heart is treacherous, who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9) All men have sinned and fall short of God's glory. Men are basically evil.

Comforter is not saying that people are totally depraved. They are not. We are made in God's image and we retain a touch of that image even while sinful. But all humans are inclined toward evil because of Adam and Eve. Therefore I do not trust this world and the bad advice that worldly counselors often give. It is simply wrong to believe that we just have to accept people as they are, warts and all, when it comes to morals. Christians do no such thing. Drunks, homosexuals, fornicators, greedy persons, revilers or adulterers will not inherit God's kingdom. Christians need to resist sin and every semblance of evil.

The Enlightenment teaching of inherent goodness is a fallacy. Wake up and recognize.

Comforting love

• Bang
    Bang

Most or all people are good. So they say.

Who said that?

"Greedy persons and revilers" well and truly rules out the wtbts, and I can see the prophecy is true.

bang

• comforter
    comforter

Dear Bang

Someone on this very place said>>>

Thank you Simon for this place.

It's a good place for good people and I learned that really 99.99% of all people are good. Just learning to accept others as they are and to unlearn the many prejudices that are so ingrained by religion, has been for me an education of greater worth than any university education!<<<

The Enlightenment and romantics promoted similar views.

Comfort

• larc
    larc

comforter, I guess the scriptures left out pedophilia. I guess it fits in their among the sins, don't ya think?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Most or all people are good. So they say. Actually, humans are basically evil.

Next time you need medical help, or your rights to freedom of speech are impuned, or a mugger beats your back-side mistaking it for your head, telephone the local Congregation for assistance.

This argument is all too subjective for your simplistic explanations. Some people would view using the doctrine of disfellowshipping others as 'good', others would view it as evil. What is more important than good and bad behavior is good and bad motives.

What are your motives for posting this half-baked homily?

HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 13 July 2002 21:14:39

Edited by - hillary_step on 13 July 2002 21:15:41

• comforter
    comforter

larc

Pedophilia is also included. You know what they also say. Sin is sin. LOL

Those who practice pedophilia will not inherit the kingdom. It is an evil and abominable practice.

HStep

I made it clear that humans are not totally depraved, they have a measure of goodness in them. Notice I said too that all humans are basically evil. Me and you included.

My argument is objective. It is based on what men have done and still do. The empirical evidence suggest that men are basically evil. And no matter what people think, good is "good" and bad is "bad." Comforter thinks we know what is evil by the inward appropriation or disappropriation we feel and by scripture. Motives don't mean squat when someone commits an act that harms themselves and others. Take child molstation for a second. Is it good or bad? What if one commits molestation with good motives? Does that make molesting a child good?

I already said why I posted this homily.

Comfort

Edited by - comforter on 13 July 2002 21:24:22

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Comforter,

Someone on this very place said>>>

Thank you Simon for this place.

It's a good place for good people and I learned that really 99.99% of all people are good. Just learning to accept others as they are and to unlearn the many prejudices that are so ingrained by religion, has been for me an education of greater worth than any university education!<<<

I said that.

You said:

It is simply wrong to believe that we just have to accept people as they are, warts and all, when it comes to morals. Christians do no such thing. Drunks, homosexuals, fornicators, greedy persons, revilers or adulterers will not inherit God's kingdom. Christians need to resist sin and every semblance of evil.

Tell me please. Which of the above quotes comes closest to the teachings of Jesus? Answer please with quotes from the words of your Master. Hypocrite!

IW

• comforter
    comforter

Dear IW

You show me where Jesus condoned sin. Prove that he thought 99.9% of people are good and I will believe it. You know as well as I do that the Jewish Jesus said no such thing.

The teachings of Jesus are found in the New Testament. Read 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21 and you will see what Jesus taught to his apostles. Jesus also said that a man should not even look at a woman or he commits adultery in his heart. Your gentle Jesus also said that anyone hating his brother in his heart or one who speaks abusively to another fellow human is worthy of Gehenna. Look it up in Matthew 5:21-22.

My man LL Cool J asked, how you gonna come against an army with a handgun? I ask you the same, dearie. When you step to Comforter, you best be ready for battle.

Comfort

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Comforter, doesn't a lot depend on your definition of good? What I find here is kindness and concern for others, something I defintely saw lacking in the JW world. Oh, there is the claim to it, but it is all too conditional. The way I see it, people are neither good nor depraved, for the most part. But, outside the JW world, they are kind. JWs are the only ones I find gleefully looking forward to the slaughter of more than 99% of the worlds population. In my defintion, that describes depraved. JWs are the ones who willfully turn their backs on others for making human mistakes or deciding they no longer wish to belong to their group. That too is depraved, as well as emotional blackmail.

No, people outside the borg are not necessarily good, but they are kind and caring, showing genuine concern for fellow man, in my opinion.

Lew W

• D8TA
    D8TA

They can't answer, and they won't answer.

Comforter is NOT a JW nor a person who was ever associated with the WTBTS. Comforter is 100% roaming board troll. This person only gets a "general" idea of what a message boards "theme" is, and just creates threads to be a pain in the ass. I do not understand why people respond or ask Comforter questions....this isn't the only board Comforter-Hilda-Mysti-Non-Etc. trolls, but is one of their favorites.

D8TA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit