A SISTER IS AFRAID SHE WILL GET MARKED

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I know of someone that married an unbeliever, and wasn't marked. She was also a Pioneer, and served at Bethel as a part time helper from time to time. She also divorced her 1st unbelieving husband later on and married another unbeliever. Some of the Elders tried to snoop into her affairs, and she told them to but out, it was none of their business. The family moved away from that congregation and did much better in another congregation.

Then again, in my very own cong I know of a sister that intended to marry an unbeliever. The Elders did have a marking talk as was indicated above from the Org Book. However, in her case, her name was mentioned. This didn't coincide with the instructions in the ORG book. She did marry this person, and of course the family members who served in some capacity didn't attend. They were also instructed not to give a wedding gift. Later on the family member who did serve as an Elder, resigned as an Elder, even after obeying this counsel. He had just enough.

After you are married, the deed is done. "What ever God has yoked together, let no man put apart". The Elders have a narrow window to put pressure on a person to stop this sort of engagement, but when it is finalyzed, it's a brand new chapter.

Congratulations by the way, and may you have many happy years in your marriage.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I don't think they will disfellowship a person for marrying an unbeliever. But,they do request a meeting and ask if any "fornication" occurred.

I don't know if they always mention the person's name,but a talk is usually given. Of course,I know a young sister who married a "worldly" guy,but she wasn't marked. Her father is an elder.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

There are many marriages that fail with members who are in our faith. The stats are there to prove that. My marriage in the truth has survived close to 40 years. I think that we have made the right decision in choosing one another. However, we know of couples, that we feel shouldn't be together.

We also know of some successful marriages with unbelievers. When the Society warns you about unbelievers they caution that the mate may cause pressure on you to celebrate religious holidays, prevent you from attending meetings....in other words prevent your life to continue with the Org. This does happen in some cases. However, there are some witness couples that do the same things to prevent you from advancing, and even if they don't celebrate holidays, they watch Christmas shows, etc. But, the holidays are really a time for family to get together, and who in there right mind would want to discourage that.,,,sorry, going off topic.

What you want is natural. Make sure that your mate is the right choice . In the faith, or out of the faith.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave
    : She is somewhat dysfuctional
    She's a dub. Ergo, that statement is an oxymoron.

Dysfunctional Witness isn't an oxymoron; it's redundant.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

I just LOVE that word "fornication". they do request a meeting and ask if any "fornication" occurred.

Where else in the world can one refer to sex only as "fornication"? It makes it sound so dirty, like a disease. It's a phrase so heavily laden with Amish-style 1800s atitudes. Even when otherwise normal, modern adults in the congregation talk about people being DFd, they always lower their voices, glance around, and mutter, "I think there was fornication involved."

Chaperones, "a view to marriage", self-abuse, "committing immorality" ... what are some other of those quaint Victorian-era WT phrases and attitudes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit