The Perfume Issue

by Bleep 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bleep
    Bleep

Many people still keep forgetting to throw away the perfumes and strong fragrances at my hall. It is a big thing in some congregations to wear it. I have heard that most churches stay away from it. Some of my relatives have gotten sensitive due to opperations. My one aunt got her jaw worked on and had plastic implant. My mother had cancer. If it is not one thing its another like carpet mold, fabreeze, and so forth.

In the bible it shows that it was needed if no one could take a bath.

I think that the elders are affraid to say anything so they do not stumble anyone new in the congregation.

Please give me positive feedback for a way to resulve the issue of too much chemicals at the public meetings.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Do you think that people (men and women) shouldn't wear perfume at the Kingdom Hall?

Or have you posted this thread because you are affected by the chemicals in the perfumes?

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

This is a really sensitive topic for some. I personally am severely allergice to certain floral fragrances, chemical and organic (lilacs, gardenias, honeysuckle, hyacinth, jasmine, to name just a few). Before I stopped going to meetings I had spent almost a year sitting in the second school when I came to meetings, then had to high tail it outside the KH whe meeting was over. I had tactfully explained to a few who enjoyed wearing frangrances that I could not breathe in the KH when they wore their perfume/cologne, and would it be possible for them to just not wear it. One sister was quite insistent that I had a personal problem with her and that I had imagined my allergy. The other was a younger bethel bound brother. He complied with my request for a while but then went back to wearing it again. So I started taking strong antihistamines to avoid having a severe reaction, as each time I was exposed my symptoms were a little worse. Unfortunately (or maybe it was a good thing) the only effective meds also made me drowsy and loopey. The Doc gave me one of the newer non drowsy meds to try but the side effects were too severe. So my ultimate solution was to just stay home.

How do I handle it at work? Several co-workers like perfume but know I stop breathing when they wear it. So they just don't wear it on the days we are in the office together. They are non JWs, very kind and considerate about this. No complaints, no ill will toward my allergy. I don't want to be allergic. I love flowers! I wish it was all in my head and that I could make this change. It is not easy living with a fragrance allergy. It's difficult to find cleaning products, shampoos, lotions, etc. that don't make me ill. And yes, there are fragrance free alternatives - most are very expensive. So if I were going to choose a health problem it would not be this one!

Mrs R

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

Bleep,

They HAVE to use the perfumes....otherwise the cong. would smell the sh*t that the WT keeps spewing out to them.

Edited by - FRUSR8TD on 13 July 2002 11:21:29

• Bleep
    Bleep

If it is an issue for some people who can not breath then I would never wear it again.

• LB
    LB

There was one family in my old hall that really splashed that stuff on. It would actually make my eyes water when they walked past. Usually they would sit in the same area each meeting and very few people were willing to sit near them. There were a couple of "local need" talks about them but of course they didn't get it. So finally a couple of elders visited them, told them how it affected lots of people in our hall. So badly that one lady no longer was able to attend meetings and became so sick she eventually couldn't work in public.

These sisters could care less, they splashed it on so bad that whatever book study they attended would thin out in a couple of weeks.

• Bleep
    Bleep

One way could be to buy the expensive better brand. It would be better than the less expensive mass produced toxic stuff. So anyone that cant stand the people using the toxic stuff might have to buy some of the good stuff.

Anyone have some better suggestions???

• LB
    LB

I have one little suggestion....

Use soap instead.

• minimus
    minimus

Since the perfume is the issue at the kingdom hall, why not just MAKE everybody stop wearing perfumes or colognes or scented deodorants OR why not just stay home????

• Bleep
    Bleep

Now we have the perfect substitute for perfume. How can I tell this to someone who still thinks perfume is better.

We should ask the perfume companies why we should use those chemicals that are used for the dead such as famaldahide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit